myne88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello flash card experts!

So I got an itouch, formatted a 2gb kingston sd card, loaded it up with the latest firmware and a bunch of roms, and plugged it in. It booted up and I was able to load my games. I tried New Super Mario bros. and it played fine, until I finished the first level and then it froze. I reset it and tried it again and this time got through 3 levels before it froze. I've tried a bunch of other games and they all play for a bit and then freeze. Dragon Quest 5, Pokemon Diamond, all the Castlevania games (I realize those have problems though), Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime, etc.

My question is, is this a known problem with the itouch, or is my flash card totally borked? Any and all advice appreciated!

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hm, I can only think of one thing you can do:

Download Panasonic SD Formatter (Google it)
Re-download the iTouchDS firmware (it may have been corrupted partially during download)
Back up your ROMs
Format the card with Panasonic SD Formatter (the default settings will do)
Put iTouchDS back onto the card (the newly downloaded one)
Put the ROMs back onto the card
Try again and post the results

Good luck.
smile.gif

myne88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that seems to have done the trick. I was able to play a few games for an hour or so each with no crashes at all, and pokemon for several hours without problems. Is it the 32k sector size which makes the difference? I think when I formatted my card the first time it defaulted to 4k. Hopefully it will remain stable.

Thanks for the help.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The thing is, it shouldn't crash at all. I can play games for hours on end on my M3 Real and they don't crash. I don't know if you can with the Panasonic SD Formatter, but I would recommend trying to change the allocation to 64k instead of 32k. Maybe that would make an even bigger difference... but that's in theory.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It's a possibility. However, try everything else first, then turn to that as a last resort. As long as you carefully release the clips on the sides (Is that how the iTouchDS is held together? It's how the M3 Real is.) then it shouldn't be a hassle. Also, check under the sticker for a small screw, just in case.

One fix for it if it's loose connectors could be the paper shim trick... I dunno how it's done though as I've never had to do it. Check around here, though. I can assure you it's listed somewhere.
smile.gif

myne88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean, wedge some paper in there to make it more snug? I was thinking of doing something like that.

Hmm.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
That's exactly what I mean. I don't know how much paper, but I know use ONLY paper. Some kid used aluminum foil once I believe... poor kid.
tongue.gif
Aluminum foil might short something in my opinion, seeing as how it's metal and all.

myne88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well after 4-5 hours I've only had one freeze, which is better, but it's still more than zero. I think this thing is just chintzy. You get what you pay for I guess.

myne88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, gee they cost what, ten bucks more? I only got the itouch because a friend recommended it to me, and I didn't want to spend 70 dollars on a Cyclo. The M3 is essentially the same as the itouch, correct? Why do they make a crummier version for only ten bucks less?

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, the iTouchDS is a crummier version of the M3 Real, a "discount" version, if you will. However, you can use Sakura with the M3 Real, which is absolutely amazing, I promise. I think they'd make a cheaper version for $10 less just to increase their product line and improve their reputation.

$70 for a Cyclo? What a waste of money. At least with an M3 Real, if it breaks down, it's not a huge loss. With a Cyclo, you're set back quite a bit.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Who would want on-board memory for firmware? I prefer having the firmware on the SD Micro card itself because then I can use whatever I want, such as the new Sakura, TouchPod, or iSakuReal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated