Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
An Italian-American advocacy group has taken a stand against Mafia 2, asking Take-Two to halt the game's release. Andre DiMino from UNICO National wrote a letter to Take-Two chairman Strauss Zelnick, calling the game an "inappropriate and insulting perpetuation of the pervasive and denigrating stereotype of organized crime being the exclusive domain of Italians and Italian Americans.

"Why would [Take-Two] foist a game on their target audience of young people wherein they will indoctrinate a new generation into directly associating Italians and Italian Americans with violent, murderous, organized crime, to the exclusion of all the other 'mafias' run by other ethnic and racial groups," said DiMino. "We are demanding they halt the release of the game and cleanse it if all references to Italians and Italian Americans."

Talking to MTV Multiplayer, DiMino clarified that he's primarily concerned with the perpetuation of Italian stereotypes, but wouldn't stand for other ethnic groups being pigeon-holed either. "I don't like to see any group denigrated whatsoever," he said. "This company has done things against the Haitians and the Cubans and now their target is Italian Americans. It shoudn't be done to any group." He says he'd like the game cleansed of all references to Italian Americans. "And I don't want them to foist it on to other groups either."

Take-Two chairman Strauss Zelnick has issued an official statement in response. "Mafia 2 tells a compelling story about organized crime in America - a subject that for decades has been featured in movies, television shows and novels. Neither UNICO nor any other organization purporting to represent Italian-Americans has seen or played Mafia 2." He says that Take-Two balances its "right to free expression with what we believe is a thoughtful and responsible approach." He also points out that as an M-rated game, it is "specifically not targeted toward young people."

Zelnick goes on. "We will only release a title that meets our standards: as art, as entertainment and as a socially responsible product. We aim to distinguish creative and compelling story telling that advances artistic expression from subject matter that gratuitously exploits or glorifies violence or stereotypes. I fully and completely stand behind our creative teams and products, including Mafia 2."

Source

I'm going with what Zelnick says. The mafia is part of American history and it did involve Italian Americans. People weren't offended by The Godfather or various other depictions of the mafia, why are they now bitching? And where are all the other people getting offended by depictions of other races or ethnic groups in various games like this (like Grand Theft Auto, for example)?

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Take Two president and CEO Ben Feder said they were sorry for any offence caused and indicated that the game would be cancelled. He attributed an apparent arm injury to a boaking accident.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
If anything this games makes Italian-Americans look bad ass. The first game came out, what's wrong with another?

If this affects the release in any shape or form I will be PISSED, I've been waiting for this game for almost a decade.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My brother pointed this out to me, but described it as "some Italian rights group demanding an ethnic cleansing". Expected to see something very different here...

I'm backing Zelnick here. Sounds like more whining for the sake of hearing their own voice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @AncientBoi do you know spanish?