Hacking It will be possible to play online with future CFW?

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3ds never had the need to use spoofing, since even in the cakes+emunand days you could update your emunand keeping CFW. The system was always in the latest update.

This is the main stopper, since you guys wouldn't pay for online with pirated games would you? would you?!
lets hope it goes down similar to how boot9strap works

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Platform integrity (some call it "walled garden") has to be worth more. Word of mouth on "online playable pirated games" would be disastrous for N. This is not something some guy decides after the fact, these are incentive structures that get created when the ecosystem is designed.

If Nintendo can detect modded systems (and I doubt that they would differenciate between HB and piracy), they very likely will ban them.

Say hallo to the service infrastructure world. :)

This (there is no place for HB in N's business plan either) is probably the main reason I didnt quite get Plutoos "ethical hacking" approach. ;) But hey, the guy has to score a job some day. (Or a better one.)

Last edited by notimp,

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo will be ready to ban CFW users right away this time. The message sent to 3DS CFW users makes this pretty clear.

I've been saying this for a while but seems most people don't believe it with their "Oh... but but but cfw this... but but but cfw that."

There's not a chance they are going to let CFW users get away with going online with a modded system, on a paid service. Just passing the time until the "My Switch was banned!!" posts begin after the option is made available.

TooEazyy_-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be nice to be able to switch back and forth from cfw to official firmware if you wanna go online with a physical copy of the game. Is it possible though?

Reactions: digipimp75

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
It would be nice to be able to switch back and forth from cfw to official firmware if you wanna go online with a physical copy of the game. Is it possible though?
yes, you can switch, but you won't be able to go online on OFW because it won't have access to servers without an update. Also, you will be able to play cartridge games on CFW (EmuNAND).

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Let me bring in the argument, that it will not matter if you "hack to pirate", or "hack to cheat", or "hack to run HB" - if they detect a modified system - they will ban the account. Probably. :)

If you look at what they want to create with the online service - even just the use of emulation, would stand against their core business interests.

- They plan to trickle out "one old game a month" as an incentive structure for you to buy into paid online.
- They plan to sell you Chrono Trigger for the seventh time in a row (repeat purchases)
- They dont want to give away "modern" 1st party IP for 20 USD a year.

- The "banhammer" has to be a "threat" that lingers over all HB users, so people are incentivized not to do it...

It does make no sense for them to allow modded systems onto their network this time around. From a business perspective.

Also - the guy that has such a hard time faking a smile in the Nintendo Direct videos? Thats a business man.

Also - Nintendo always lobbied for emulation of Oldgames to be seen as piracy - publicly, even after they were caught red handed, using pirated copies of their own games in actual systems they put on the market. ;)

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: digipimp75

Arkangelshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
We just need to wait for a Pokemon release on nintendo switch in order to know the full capabilities of CFW, cheats or other kind of modiffication.

Onibi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
like as title says
Do you think it will be possible to play online with future Custom firmware?
(sorry for my bad english)

Yes, without a single doubt it will be. The system is completely opened by now. There is no way to prevent it. However, Nintendo may add anti cheat engines as a response. That will not prevent it either, but it will create temporary issues.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Yes, without a single doubt it will be. The system is completely opened by now. There is no way to prevent it. However, Nintendo may add anti cheat engines as a response. That will not prevent it either, but it will create temporary issues.
Ehmm.... Anti Cheat measures are most likely situated server-side. If you'd want to make them "temporary" you' have to hack them. Companies don't react "friendly" to that kind of stuff (even if you just manipulate the communication, or reverse engineer it).
So that assessment, is quite "out there". ;)

Also - we still have no way to sign packages "as N". So lets say N releases a title update.

You can probably decrypt it. You may be able to resign it with your own key (0000000), but you wont be able to resign it with their key. Which leaves you with a catch 22. You need CFW to "mod", you cant have (detectable) CFW to play online.

Solution? There is none. :)

Last edited by notimp,

Onibi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ehmm.... Anti Cheat measures are most likely situated server-side. If you'd want to make them "temporary" you' have to hack them. Companies don't react "friendly" to that kind of stuff (even if you just manipulate the communication, or reverse engineer it).
So that assessment, is quite "out there". ;)
True, however, the anti-cheat engines I mean are more along the lines of what steam does to verify your memory and applications :) Much like the point you make below about the titles. But ultimately possible to defeat ... (can be hard thou, but we got TX ... so hmm)

Also - we still have no way to sign packages "as N". So lets say N releases a title update.

You can probably decrypt it. You may be able to resign it with your own key (0000000), but you wont be able to resign it with their key. Which leaves you with a catch 22. You need CFW to "mod", you cant have (detectable) CFW to play online.

Solution? There is none. :)

How are you gonna get my device to tell you the key that packages where signed with or perform an integrity check? :)

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Build it in as N. If hacker removes it - ban the system. Easy. ;) If hacker says yes always - put in intentional fails, if hacker goes around them, put in timing checks, ... ;) Isnt that how its done? ;)

If hacker doent know exactly how CFW detection works (obfuscation is a hell of a tool.. ;) ), all he can do is guess. Thats enough for the risk of bannhammer to be established.

Last edited by notimp,

Onibi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Build it in as N. If hacker removes it - ban the system. Easy. ;) If hacker says yes always - put in intentional fails, if hacker goes around them, put in timing checks, ... ;) Isnt that how its done? ;)

I hacker doent know exactly how CFW detection works, all he can do is guess (obfuscation is a hell of a tool.. ;) ). Thats enough for the risk of bannhammer to be established.

Sure sure! True that's why I say there is a lot to create temporary issues with anti-cheat engines.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/5fQHvL6iO5k?si=1qrkapNMcghUj07-