GCN It isn't always the laser, or the media

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a long story, but I'll try to keep it short.

I installed a Xeno GC in my orange (japanese) gamecube last weekend. Retail USA games played fine, backups were very sketchy at any laser impedance setting. Some seemed to work fine, some would DRE at certain selections in-game (for example, you could do anything in Wave Race except free roam -- instant freeze), and some were total fails. What was really frustrating is that Imgburn verified these disks, and my modded Wii could play them fine. I was blaming all this on my decision to try cheap media (cheap doesn't always mean bad ... but I bought a Philips bulk 50pk on Amazon, and it turns out they're CMC. So yeah, cheap). But then I got the bright idea to try the burner in my work laptop. I expected my trusty Plextor in the desktop was the way to go, but maybe I've trusted it too many times, because I'm getting reliable burns now out of the laptop drive. I can't vouch for 100% reliability yet, but so far I've been testing for hours today and zero problems.

I know I'm about 7 years late for the Gamecube modchip thing. But if you are trying to make this stuff work, searching google will give you a billion links to discussions that almost always point to the laser or the disk media as the problem. But in my case, I found out the disk drive I was using to burn my backups was the weak link in the chain. Never rule out the obvious. :rolleyes:

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ye
Actually, try to burn at the max speed your disc and your burner support. The idea of burning it at the slowest speed is nothing but myth these days.

http://club.myce.com/f33/slow-write-speeds-modern-drives-modern-media-no-good-247643/

Yeah but I think most of the mini dvd-r's still on the market are old stock, rated for only 4x. They were made for the camcorders that recorded to disk, and those became obsolete almost as soon as they came out. Could be a factor in why my Plextor isn't pumping out successful burns though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end