It isn't always the laser, or the media

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by Hanafuda, Aug 10, 2013.

  1. Hanafuda
    OP

    Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

    Member
    1,862
    660
    Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    It's a long story, but I'll try to keep it short.

    I installed a Xeno GC in my orange (japanese) gamecube last weekend. Retail USA games played fine, backups were very sketchy at any laser impedance setting. Some seemed to work fine, some would DRE at certain selections in-game (for example, you could do anything in Wave Race except free roam -- instant freeze), and some were total fails. What was really frustrating is that Imgburn verified these disks, and my modded Wii could play them fine. I was blaming all this on my decision to try cheap media (cheap doesn't always mean bad ... but I bought a Philips bulk 50pk on Amazon, and it turns out they're CMC. So yeah, cheap). But then I got the bright idea to try the burner in my work laptop. I expected my trusty Plextor in the desktop was the way to go, but maybe I've trusted it too many times, because I'm getting reliable burns now out of the laptop drive. I can't vouch for 100% reliability yet, but so far I've been testing for hours today and zero problems.

    I know I'm about 7 years late for the Gamecube modchip thing. But if you are trying to make this stuff work, searching google will give you a billion links to discussions that almost always point to the laser or the disk media as the problem. But in my case, I found out the disk drive I was using to burn my backups was the weak link in the chain. Never rule out the obvious. :rolleyes:
     
  2. trumpet-205

    trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

    Member
    4,363
    542
    Jan 14, 2009
    United States
  3. Hanafuda
    OP

    Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

    Member
    1,862
    660
    Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Ye
    Yeah but I think most of the mini dvd-r's still on the market are old stock, rated for only 4x. They were made for the camcorders that recorded to disk, and those became obsolete almost as soon as they came out. Could be a factor in why my Plextor isn't pumping out successful burns though.