Hacking It is worth buy a Japanese New 3DS?

DoctorZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If any of you guys preordered the new 3ds from ebgames.com.au you could've gotten it for around 169 AUD which is about 140 USD. Then again plus shipping it all seems a bit too redundant.

I'm waiting until I know that I can do pretty much all the same stuff on the N3DS as my 4.5 3DS. I don't see it worth the upgrade if you can only play games up to 9.x or if it lacks any major features that 4.5 GW has. If you are new to the 3DS I think it's a good option, but if you have a 4.5 3DS I just don't see the upgrade as worth it with the information we currently have. $150-200 isn't throwaway money.

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I'm waiting until I know that I can do pretty much all the same stuff on the N3DS as my 4.5 3DS. I don't see it worth the upgrade if you can only play games up to 9.x or if it lacks any major features that 4.5 GW has. If you are new to the 3DS I think it's a good option, but if you have a 4.5 3DS I just don't see the upgrade as worth it with the information we currently have. $150-200 isn't throwaway money.

Then again wouldn't you like to be able to play xenosaga and all the future N3DS only game releases? A new Zelda perhaps?

Aman27deep

Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
India
I don't think it's worth buying a JP console, because if Nintendo launches 9.3, and Gateway is blocked somehow - in that case you'll be stuck with a useless console (if you don't know japanese).

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it's worth buying a JP console, because if Nintendo launches 9.3, and Gateway is blocked somehow - in that case you'll be stuck with a useless console (if you don't know japanese).

What better way to learn? Definitely not useless, either... Easy to get around, and access to the Japanese eshop...

Kylecito

eats warnings for breakfast
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I used to think getting an import was useless because you had to import games but really, the eShop is full of them, priced at pretty much the same as USD. Just that buying the damn prepaid cards is really expensive

DoctorZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then again wouldn't you like to be able to play xenosaga and all the future N3DS only game releases? A new Zelda perhaps?

Who is to say GW can play those games anyways on the N3DS? If the time comes and I want to play a new game that is N3DS exclusive then I will decide.

I think buying now is a mistake for a few reasons. Wait and see if A) 9.x GW works as well as 4.5 GW B) That 9.2 GW will be compatible with >9.x games and C) That there will be exclusive N3DS games (beyond Xenosaga) worth owning the N3DS for. Like others have said, why split the install base when it is so large on 3DS and Nintendo has said itself that the west has to wait for the N3DS due to the market not peaking like it has in Japan.

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
So, if there's an update for a PAL game I've installed as a .cia and I'm on a Japanese console do I have to wait for someone to rip and upload the patch? Whereas on a PAL console it would just update natively

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Who is to say GW can play those games anyways on the N3DS? If the time comes and I want to play a new game that is N3DS exclusive then I will decide.

I think buying now is a mistake for a few reasons. Wait and see if A) 9.x GW works as well as 4.5 GW B) That 9.2 GW will be compatible with >9.x games and C) That there will be exclusive N3DS games (beyond Xenosaga) worth owning the N3DS for. Like others have said, why split the install base when it is so large on 3DS and Nintendo has said itself that the west has to wait for the N3DS due to the market not peaking like it has in Japan.

Fair enough. You have more cons than pros.

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is it possible to use other languages other than English on a J console with an E game?
And can you install a firmware of another region using developers tools?

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
^It depends on the game. Gateway will expose any hidden language options if available. 95% of the time it will run in whatever default language the rom is. Some extremely rare occasions, the game will run in Japanese even if using an English rom. This is rare, however.

Reactions: Sonicx64 and nastys

Nyannurs

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
guys, guys. arent you able to put it in like katakana in the system settings? or hiragana
i really doubt nintendo of japan would lock their system on kanji

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
guys, guys. arent you able to put it in like katakana in the system settings? or hiragana
i really doubt nintendo of japan would lock their system on kanji
I'm pretty sure there's no way to select that, but there's hardly much to consider. Just use an English machine as a guide.

xantoz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I just bought one and it decided to get stuck at the first screen... No matter how much I pull around the 3D slider or restart it it's stuck there. So much for updating to 9.2 before tomorrow...
I guess I'll have to resort to an overpriced AUS 3DS for Gateway, which as all the more trickier since I can just go to any store and buy a JP 3DS here in Japan... I also prefer the Japanese e-shop and am relatively fluent in Japanese (definitely enough to deal with menus and even entire games in Japanese)...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans