Hacking It is now February 4th. No brick.

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Decrypted launcher showing code, really? Where is it? Why don't I have a copy? Nobody has posted it online because it doesn't exist.

You do realize that decrypted launcher code is still copyrighted, and gbatemp policies therefore prevent posting it or linking to it?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It seems unrelated to the second check (the file timestamp check) and most likely related to another check that did fail for one reason or another (maybe even the initial check that's been running for a while now)

And I am not saying that the exploit is anything stable, or that their checks (they have many) are all fail proof. I did say however that on paper, the chances for the actual timestamp check to trigger the brick code are very low.

Err... no, if you "just update to 2.0b2" you will simply overwrite the Launcher.dat file with the one from the 2.0b2 update which has older timestamp last modified and created attributes than Feb, 4th 2014, therefore that particular check will not trigger from this.

(remember, that particular check is performed against the file's timestamp, not the actual 3DS date)

Oh ! and I would avoid writing any file which name starts with "l" at the root of your SD card, just to be on the safe side, because their code actually looks for any file starting with "l"
If you copy any file to a folder, that counts as creating the file and will set the creation flag to that time - not the modified flag though. Overwriting too will reset the creation flag.

D

Deleted-236924

Except for the part where quite a few people using said official Gateway hardware with official Gateway software got bricked already, including one of our reviewers. 2.0b2 won't brick your 3DS outright but stating that it's 100% safe is false.
Saying that it doesn't have 100% chance to brick doesn't mean that it has to be 100% safe.

World isn't black and white. The people who are saying it will brick are wrong, otherwise every single person with a GW would have their 3DS bricked.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Saying that it doesn't have 100% chance to brick doesn't mean that it has to be 100% safe.

World isn't black and white. The people who are saying it will brick are wrong, otherwise every single person with a GW would have their 3DS bricked.
He also said "you shouldn't be afraid of bricks" which is what I was referring to.

D

Deleted-236924

Yes, because the chances of it happening is pretty low.

How many Gateway users on 2.0b2 are there? How many of those users have had their 3DS bricked by it?

Yes, to stay on the safe side, it would be better to wait for the complete 2.0 release, which should hopefully either have the brick code removed or the bug causing legitimate users to be bricked fixed.

Reactions: Dinomite

profi200

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It seems unrelated to the second check (the file timestamp check) and most likely related to another check that did fail for one reason or another (maybe even the initial check that's been running for a while now)
No, check the picture again and look, at which date 2.0b2 was released. If you unzip the Launcher.dat, the file is *created* from the compressed data. That's why the date on the picture is not the release date.

And I am not saying that the exploit is anything stable, or that their checks (they have many) are all fail proof. I did say however that on paper, the chances for the actual timestamp check to trigger the brick code are very low.
Did i? That's the problem. Their checks are not save or somewhere is a bug.

Err... no, if you "just update to 2.0b2" you will simply overwrite the Launcher.dat file with the one from the 2.0b2 update which has older timestamp last modified and created attributes than Feb, 4th 2014, therefore that particular check will not trigger from this.
No, not everyone just overwrites the file.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I never said it's 100% safe, but I do stand by the belief that if the official software was installed correctly as per the instructions, then peoples concerns should be no higher than modding any other console on any given platform.

People's concerns should be higher than similar mods of any other console. Gateway's Launcher.dat contains code specifically designed to lock eMMC read/write access with a password. Code designed to brick carries more cause for concern than code that isn't designed to brick, whether targeted at you or not.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No, check the picture again and look, at which date 2.0b2 was released. If you unzip the Launcher.dat, the file is *created* from the compressed data. That's why the date on the picture is not the release date.

Did i? That's the problem. Their checks are not save or somewhere is a bug.

No, not everyone just overwrites the file.
I just did a quick check. Even overwriting a file will set the creation date, but not the modified date. The only way is to open both files in a hex editor and copy over the contents AFAIK, which will set modified date but not created. Which no one will do because it's completely pointless.

Reactions: profi200

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just did a quick check. Even overwriting a file will set the creation date, but not the modified date. The only way is to open both files in a hex editor and copy over the contents AFAIK, which will set modified date but not created. Which no one will do because it's completely pointless.
Or you could use something called Batch Rename from softwaredirections and use the "Re-date" feature. This will reset all three dates for the file. Bad thing about this software, it will work only in Windows XP, so pretty much outdated.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a warning for responding directly to the last person who insulted me on these forums. I was told that I have "been here long enough to know better".

Apparently, saying that someone is a "futuristic crack smoker" doesn't qualify as flaming, though. Interesting, that.

cloud1250000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You know guys, everything in the world isn't 100% safe. So why the fuck gateway 3ds should be 100% safe??? Like bricking case are about 0.5-1% of gateway market... You can be in a car accident for the about the same % of chance.

Anyway, you paranoiac people, should take a chill pill and start thinking about that fact. ahah

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You know guys, everything in the world isn't 100% safe. So why the fuck gateway 3ds should be 100% safe??? Like bricking case are about 0.5-1% of gateway market... You can be in a car accident for the about the same % of chance.

Anyway, you paranoiac people, should take a chill pill and start thinking about that fact. ahah
I'm not sure you would say that if your 3DS was bricked.

You do realize that decrypted launcher code is still copyrighted, and gbatemp policies therefore prevent posting it or linking to it?
My avatar is also copyrighted and could additionally be seen as illegaly impersonating someone else.

Reactions: Warft

cloud1250000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And seriously, there was risk when using custom firmware on any console, why it wouldn't be the same with the 3ds? even if they are selling their work on the discovered exploit, it's still custom code.

Also, they are not working for nintendo, they didn't built the system so even if they added a code breaking console... it's must likely not the problem here. It's more likely there's something different in the last fw from nintendo and when you're using emunand, the gateway code break new check or code from nintendo which brick the console.

If gateway can brick your console, nintendo can do the same. They add a check on the last firmware, to look for gateway code and bam bricked... or their last firmware try to update some low system on console... and bam bricked because gateway code was interfering...

Anyway, a big part of the scene is hidden, we don't even know what's been discovered about 3ds os... no syscall, no systeme function, no kernel function... NOTHING! So how the hell do you expect thing to got that well out of the box??? Like how the hell it's can be possible to update the emunand without a once of fear from nintendo new code?

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
And seriously, there was risk when using custom firmware on any console, why it wouldn't be the same with the 3ds? even if they are selling their work on the discovered exploit, it's still custom code.

Also, they are not working for nintendo, they didn't built the system so even if they added a code breaking console... it's must likely not the problem here. It's more likely there's something different in the last fw from nintendo and when you're using emunand, the gateway code break new check or code from nintendo which brick the console.

If gateway can brick your console, nintendo can do the same. They add a check on the last firmware, to look for gateway code and bam bricked... or their last firmware try to update some low system on console... and bam bricked because gateway code was interfering...

Anyway, a big part of the scene is hidden, we don't even know what's been discovered about 3ds os... no syscall, no systeme function, no kernel function... NOTHING! So how the hell do you expect thing to got that well out of the box??? Like how the hell it's can be possible to update the emunand without a once of fear from nintendo new code?
Except that evidence was delivered by multiple reliable hackers that the source of the bricks was within GW's code. Not to mention GW said to your face that your 3DS WILL be bricked if you use clone cards or modified versions of their launchr firmware. Nothing to do with Nintendo. Nothing to do with custom firmware in general.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe they wrote it that funny backward way and it's actually April 2nd when alla yalls gonna brick your shits.

cloud1250000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I see I see :0 and most hackers like to see a pirate market around console exploiting??? NO. So anything they can say to destroy a pirate market will most likely be said. :)

Maybe it's within gateway code as I said. You know, everything is dynamic now in console os. When a hacker apply a payload to the loaded system, it may happen (if the payload isn't coded perfectly) to override something it shouldn't. And it's really possible that's what happen with the latest 3ds fw.

It's like everyone updated their emunand without thinking... Yes gateway may have a bricking code, but change in the core of the firmware may brick your console if the payload interfer with it.

freejak13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys are missing something. If there is indeed code in 2.0b2 that will increase the number of bricks past 2/4, gw would not continue distributing it on their site. It is counter-productive to their business. If this code does exist and they do nothing about it, then gateway is completely idiotic and should left to rot.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I see I see :0 and most hackers like to see a pirate market around console exploiting??? NO. So anything they can say to destroy a pirate market will most likely be said. :)

Maybe it's within gateway code as I said. You know, everything is dynamic now in console os. When a hacker apply a payload to the loaded system, it may happen (if the payload isn't coded perfectly) to override something it shouldn't. And it's really possible that's what happen with the latest 3ds fw.

It's like everyone updated their emunand without thinking... Yes gateway may have a bricking code, but change in the core of the firmware may brick your console if the payload interfer with it.
Well look who is paranoid now.

cloud1250000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
paranoid? me? I'm not. I'm just completely logical.

if gateway can brick your console, so do nintendo. Why do gateway will brick their client console? or the right question should be? Why NINTENDO shouldn't brick pirate's console?

Anyway, it's not my point.. My point was, maybe gateway patch interfer with new nintendo firmware in a way to disable the console.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/liquid-cooling/intel-and-exxonmobil-working-on-advance...