Hacking It amazes me that the Wii is capable of USB loading

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the problem is you DON'T understand how it works. You just expect it to happen because a system is hacked. Just because something is possible for other systems, that doesn't make it any less impressive. What makes it impressive is based on the resources given and the obstacles that had to be overcome.

Exactly, its ignorance at its best right there. Its also impressive in how people have come together and shared their work, its a great feeling to be a part of a community that wants to unlock the full potential of such a system. And he just writes it off as no big deal. Fuck that, I'm impressed and glad these people do this work. He may be ungrateful, but I hope the developers of these applications realize that not all consumers of their work are like this. I am very thankful for all the work that has been done in the Wii hacking scene. Thats my only point here.

Reactions: BitBandit

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
to sum it up all, the logic boards behind all the hardware you see, seems to share a similar functionality. The main problem with wii is... the code must run on the "hipervisor" cpu, or the starlet, and you gotta basically build a low level system driver (for the whole wii) when USB 2.0 is enabled(most sysbus is connected directly to starlet, correct me if i'm wrong)... or modify an existing one and inyect your own modules..

generally speaking it's a nightmare if you're testing code and the thing freezes up the entire system becase a simple bit messed it up all. So it's not that easy to figure it out

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Normally I would do the whole be the bigger man bit but I will have to accuse the two of you of making ill formed conclusions. My point was not that history in other consoles means anything but once it was seen that code could be loaded from various mediums without much in the way of restrictions it was more or less a done deal.

My link of choice
http://hackmii.com/2009/03/my-6-hour-trip-to-the-dark-side/

Now there might be something to be said for marcan being fairly well entrenched in the Wii by this point and thus being able to draw upon a lot more than most and regardless I am half impressed that enough open source types got it together (it would be impressive even on projects of significantly greater worth and given the history of the warez world that probably goes double) to get to the point of spinning boxart and shiny table effect loaders. I still contend it is not enough to warrant my standing in unreserved awe though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on