It ain't just torrent sites under seige

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Panzer Tacticer, Dec 19, 2010.

Dec 19, 2010
  1. Panzer Tacticer
    OP

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    Ok so no names here, because I don't need to go to warning level 30% [​IMG]

But it's a newsindexer for the newgroup scene, and after the first court battle was lost wonder of wonders they add the number 2 to the name and presto back in business.

Or are they.

Appears the establishment isn't laughing. Appears they are currently trying to get BT (largest broadband provider in the UK) to utterly block the newsindexer from the UK in it's entirety.

Not that's what you call a blunt weapon approach people. That's not stealing a domain, that's stealing the ability to even use the internet.

Granted there are always ways around that, for nobodies like you or me, who have no need to be 'findable'. But when a site has to be findable to be usable, and a provider can just say 'I don't think so'. Well that might sure make a difference.

Could illegal file sharing actually fail?
    I don't have those answers.
    Personally I don't think these measures are enough.

But it is clear, the gloves are off.
    One day you may well discover, that our chats here, are just too receptive to the theft we all know it to be eh. And poof, you will go online and discover this site has been deemed 'expendable'.

Not having files to download, wouldn't be enough in my view, if I was them. But I'm not them.

2. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
  3. Mantis41

Member Mantis41 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    DD all the way!

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Hmm, wonder if they are going for DNS again or via IWF (the latter being "worse" and having previously had some play in this arena)- given the nature of the article and the IWF being used by multiple ISPs/their downstream resellers it looks like the former (such things having been done by other places in the past).

5. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    jesus that scared me, i thought it was about abgx. but its been down for a few days.

6. Panzer Tacticer
    OP

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    What's interesting, is it's always just the MPAA or the RIAA that's in a snit.

As if newsgroups don't circulate anything else. When in fact, it's television shows (anything from anime to documentary to regular shows), books, games of ever form of platform, and applications in addition to music and film.

Then again, a movie is just a movie, and a song just a song. No serial needed, no updates required, no hassle with disk protections, and no need to be using a legit account to enjoy online monthly.

And you KNOW the people bitching about the money lost, are almost always the fat cats at the top.

7. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    I guess if you were a top executive in a company, you wouldn't care if people are constantly stealing from you
    and as well as all the people that made that product

8. Mantis41

Member Mantis41 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Piracy is not good but the figures are distorted. They treat every illegal download as a lost sale when in reality it is probably more like 1 in every 100 downloads that would have resulted in a sale if downloading was stopped.

Have a think of all the items you have downloaded. If you couldn't download how many of those items would you have purchased?

1billion in lost sales in reality is more likely to be 5 - 10 million.

9. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    This is true.

Only about 1/50 of things I've pirated would have tempted me to buy them, and only 1/3 of those would have been bought.