Issues With XRom 512MB

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Danus, Apr 4, 2007.

Apr 4, 2007

Issues With XRom 512MB by Danus at 3:19 AM (1,023 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Danus
    OP

Newcomer Danus Newbie

United States
    I am having a problem with my XRom 512 card and my backup Pokemon Emerald save files. I am able to flash the ROM just fine to the XRom card with the USB cable and it works on my GBA but flashing a .sav file along with is not working. I am using LittleWriter and it does not give me any error messages as far as the attached sav file goes (using the advanced menu option to add a sav file to the flash). Additionally, when I try to play the flashed rom normally, I am able to save. If I turn the system off, there is no record of the save file there. If I soft reset, however, the save file is still there... until I power the system off. Am I doing something wrong with the flashing of the card and does the rom need to be formatted differently? Is the XRom 512 card or battery on the card dead?

If so, could anyone suggest a good replacement card? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    sounds like the battery. how old is your X-ROM?

3. Danus
    OP

Newcomer Danus Newbie

United States
    My xrom is around 3-4 years old. I am not exactly sure but I have had it for a little while now. Since I last posted, I tried Pokemon Ruby on the flash with a different .sav. I made sure to patch it with the nofrills IPS patch before hand and I did everything the same way in littlewriter. It was essentially the same result - save is there on soft reset but on power off and on, it tells me "The save data has been deleted..." and no save remains.

If the flash cart is done, any reccomendations on new flash cards? Since I have a DS do they make any kind of flash card combo set with the DS and the GBA together? I am open to picking up pretty much anything new that will let me backup/change around my saves and trade items/pokemon.

4. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    what type of batteries do x-roms use. i would just replace the battery

5. Dirtie

Former Staff Dirtie :'D

New Zealand
    Definitely sounds like a near-dead battery [​IMG]
    I think the xrom is supposed to recharge (every cart since the EZFA did so IIRC) just from powering on the GBA, but even rechargeable batteries only have a limited lifespan.

If it's not soldered in, then you can probably replace it, otherwise it might just be easier to buy another cart.

6. Danus
    OP

Newcomer Danus Newbie

United States
    Yeah, I opened the cart and it was indeed soldered in place and I couldn't remove it properly to replace it. So instead, I went hunting for a new flash card. After reading up on these forums, I decided to give the G6 a shot. A lot of people seem to really like it.