Hacking Issues with saving?

xerces

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay.
So I downloaded some 32 Kb saves for my Pokemon games (Silver, Gold, Red, Blue, Yellow, TCG, to be exact) on my SC:SD. I used a tool to convert them to 64 KB saves and lovingly/carefully renamed them to match up with their appropriate games. It seems none of them load.

Any ideas why?

Edit - Just for clarification, they load just perfectly In VBA.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm, they should work, but since they're not I have an alternate solution. Use the Goomba Frontend with the latest version of Goomba Color to create your own compilation containing all your *.gb/*.gbc games. Then follow these instructions to inject each game's save file into the compilation's *.sav file:

1. Get the save file for the original game (I'll use Pokemon Red as an example), which will probably be between 8 KB and 32 KB
2. Rename it from *.sav to *.dmp.
3. Open the Goomba Color compilation in VBA and select Pokemon Red to start the game.
4. Open the memory editor (in the Tools menu).
5. Click the Load button, then select your *.dmp file. For the address, use 02038000. The size will be grayed out but should be no larger than 8000 (hex for 32 KB).
6. Close out of the memory viewer and press L+R to open the Goomba Color menu, which automatically updates the *.sav file with your injected SRAM save.
7. Restart the game (or VBA entirely to be sure) and see if it worked.

Do this for each game. I know it's a tedius process, but it's the only thing I can think of.

Instructions adapted from http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/How_to_exchan...mulators_and_PC with additional comments based on my own observations.

EDIT: Note that you will need to patch the compilation with the Supercard patcher before placing it on your card. I usually use nothing but the first save patch and then use the QPC method to save, though I've heard that you can successfully patch it to use the L+R+A+Select button combo.

xerces

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use my Supercard's built in emulators. Not an updated Goomba Color. Too much work. I'll play around with this later. I hate that the emulator is so out of date and that I have to use that stupid as fuck L+R+A+Select save method.

xerces

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DanTheManMS said:
Hm, they should work, but since they're not I have an alternate solution. Use the Goomba Frontend with the latest version of Goomba Color to create your own compilation containing all your *.gb/*.gbc games. Then follow these instructions to inject each game's save file into the compilation's *.sav file:

1. Get the save file for the original game (I'll use Pokemon Red as an example), which will probably be between 8 KB and 32 KB
2. Rename it from *.sav to *.dmp.
3. Open the Goomba Color compilation in VBA and select Pokemon Red to start the game.
4. Open the memory editor (in the Tools menu).
5. Click the Load button, then select your *.dmp file. For the address, use 02038000. The size will be grayed out but should be no larger than 8000 (hex for 32 KB).
6. Close out of the memory viewer and press L+R to open the Goomba Color menu, which automatically updates the *.sav file with your injected SRAM save.
7. Restart the game (or VBA entirely to be sure) and see if it worked.

Do this for each game. I know it's a tedius process, but it's the only thing I can think of.

Instructions adapted from http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/How_to_exchan...mulators_and_PC with additional comments based on my own observations.

EDIT: Note that you will need to patch the compilation with the Supercard patcher before placing it on your card. I usually use nothing but the first save patch and then use the QPC method to save, though I've heard that you can successfully patch it to use the L+R+A+Select button combo.

Mmkay. So I had nothing better to do and I tried all of those steps. I followed each one to the T.
I ended up getting my save to work with Goomba Color/Pokemon Gold in VBA, but when it comes to loading it on my SC, still no such luck.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the *.sav file produced by VBA for the Goomba Color compilation doesn't work when you copy it to your card and launch the compilation? That's really odd, I have no clue why it isn't working. Well, unless you unchecked the option to automatically load the save file, but I rather doubt that's the case.

xerces

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DanTheManMS said:
So the *.sav file produced by VBA for the Goomba Color compilation doesn't work when you copy it to your card and launch the compilation? That's really odd, I have no clue why it isn't working. Well, unless you unchecked the option to automatically load the save file, but I rather doubt that's the case.
Nope, not it.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then I'm out of ideas. VBA saves should work fine when transferred directly to the card (or padded up to 64 KB if needed). If they don't, I'm clueless.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: