Issues with Akaio 1.6rc1 & Ezflash 3in1

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Atashi, Mar 24, 2010.

Mar 24, 2010
  1. Atashi
    OP

Member Atashi Out of the Loop

Canada
    Edited to add: Resolved, see below.

I'm trying to figure out a problem I've noticed lately when I try and run GBA games with my Acekard 2i and EzFlash 3in1. The issue seems to have started recently, i.e. 1.6rc1 recently, as I do not recall having this issue beforehand. I have a GBA game flashed to the 3in1 NOR, which is necessary to keep the 3in1 recognized by the DS.

The problem comes when I'm playing other GBA games - they should be copied into the 3in1 RAM since they are smaller than 16MB. What happens though is sometimes Akaio doesn't send the game, it only sends the save. It will show the progress bar, say it is sending the GBA save info, then it immediately boots the 3in1 using the game that's already in NOR. So now the save that's in the 3in1 doesn't match the game it is playing, the game blanks the save and then when I reboot the DS, AKAIO processes the save back out, but the save is now corrupt.

Example:
    • I have the Homebrew game Tank Commander flashed to the 3in1 NOR.
    • Then I want to play the homebrew 1942 so I highlight that in AKAIO and press A.
    • Normally AKAIO will send the game save over, then it sends the game, then the game boots.
    • Sometimes though it sends the game save, then boots immediately. So Tank Commander starts up, the save is not recognized so it gets blanked.
    • I reboot the DS and AKAIO copies the now-corrupt/erased Save file out of the 3in1 and files it with 1942.
    Once I realized that this was happening, I even tried removing the 3in1: When AKAIO copied the save file but didn't load the game, I realized the save in the 3in1 was now corrupted/blank, so I turned the DS off and removed the 3in1, then turned the DS on. Even though the 3in1 card was no longer present, AKAIO still 'processed GBA save' and wrote out an empty sav file, erasing the file that was on the SD card...

This is not happening with enough consistancy for me to figure out how to reproduce it, so I don't have enough info yet to file a bug report on the AKAIO forum, but I'm wondering if some AKAIO experts could help me with some info or test it a bit themselves and see if they run into similar issues.

One of the things I am wondering is, if AKAIO queries the 3in1 card in any way to see what is on it, or if it only relies on the info in /__aio/globalsettings.ini?

If that's the case, then is it possible it gets confused and doesn't load the game as it thinks the game is already loaded somehow?

Thanks!

-Atashi

2. coolness

Banned coolness PSN: Dutch_DarkLord

Netherlands
    Akaio 1.6 RC2 is out!!!
    try that

3. Atashi
    OP

Canada
    Thanks for the suggestion! [​IMG] I put RC2 on my card first thing this morning.

It doesn't fix my problem but I think I'm onto what the problem is; it only occurs with homebrew GBA games that do not have header info. I.e. they have a blank game id and blank name in the header.

So AKAIO sees them all as "GBA Game" and if one of those is flashed into the NOR then it doesn't matter what filename I try and use, AKAIO just assumes they are all the same game.

I'm checking a bit further to confirm that this is in fact the problem...

Cheers!

-Atashi

4. kineticUk

Member kineticUk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Hi Atashi

I was thinking of testing the 3in1 a bit now that there is another RC out.
    Cause I have been having a few (little) problems since having one and related possibly to the fact mine is the plus version.

Sorry this is a bit OT but,
    I cannot ever seem to get rumble working outside of akaio menu and inside my games...its not something I use so had not bothered to test it more but have you tried this?
    Certain .gba games will not boot from akaio by pressing A and always get stuck on the reboot at the gba boot screen.
    The ask before save/load always seems to save and load even when I say no.
    And problems with .sav on certain .gba games have to use another program to play them.

I assumed most of my 3in1 problems were because its the newer plus version. Hadn't tested much homebrew yet, just have elite and powder.

5. Atashi
    OP

Canada
    Hi Kinetic,

Not sure what you mean about rumble - it will not work if you are trying to use the 3in1 as a rumblepack with an original/retail game cartridge. The 3in1 uses a different address for accessing the rumble, so games need to be patched (which AKAIO does.)

I have seen the issue with the ask before save/load - regardless of what you select it goes ahead and does it anyways, so I turned off the prompt. (Figured, if it's going to save/load anyways, don't bother me with asking!)

I have run into a few GBA games, mostly homebrews, that refuse to run at all, but I assumed it was the game that was no good rather than an AKAIO issue.

Cheers!

-Atashi

6. Atashi
    OP

Canada
    Just an update on this, I was able to figure out the cause of the problem and fix it. It wasn't an AKAIO issue as such.

The problem was with GBA homebrews that had no header info. AKAIO read them all as "GBA Game" and consequently if a homebrew without a header was flashed to the 3in1's NOR then any other gba homebrew you try to use that has no header, causes AKAIO to 'think' the game is already on the 3in1 since they have the same null header.

I found a utility that let me add header info to the homebrews, and once they all had a unique header AKAIO no longer confuses / corrupts the game saves.

-Atashi