Hardware Issue with the Micro SD Port on my console, do i need a new one?

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I better start learning how to Solder let alone Micro-solder and fast hahaha
For the little knowledge I have with soldering. Use proper heat, always clean up the joints (with a solder wick) before applying new solder (probably unnessary), USE FLUX!!!, and take your time!
Magnifying glass and a card holder is a nice thing to have.

https://www.build-electronic-circuits.com/soldering-tools/ a list you can use to buy things.

EDIT: Got a multi meter? Maybe you can just find the bad pin instead?

Last edited by linuxares,
Reactions: DerekGeneric831

DerekGeneric831

DerekGeneric831
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
For the little knowledge I have with soldering. Use proper heat, always clean up the joints (with a solder wick) before applying new solder (probably unnessary), USE FLUX!!!, and take your time!
Magnifying glass and a card holder is a nice thing to have.

https://www.build-electronic-circuits.com/soldering-tools/ a list you can use to buy things.

EDIT: Got a multi meter? Maybe you can just find the bad pin instead?

thats an idea, i'll check around the house
should have one somewhere

Brayton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Micro sd card won't work in the console so can't access Checkpoint

Bought brand new but i've been suffering with issues with the Micro SD since i've gotten it
Any possible way to retrieve my save data off the system itself?
i can't use Checkpoint because that requires the Micro SD card.. and my system is currently on OFW 6.2
all my saved data is saved to the system but i'm getting a new Switch hopefully tomorrow.. (thank god for afterpay hahah)

for the save files, i guess you'd need to dump your nand through usb and try to extract them from there.
supposedly not impossible but probably a huge hassle, since there's no dedicated software for it
What about cloud backup?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Then someone at the factory must be fed the soldering up. It really looks like it's been overheated when I look at the lit up pictures.
It's of course totally possible to exchange this port, and I would recommend that approach first. Problem however is to find a spare part.
I think that might just be an optical illusion due to the lighting. It almost looks like some upscaling effect was applied (something like HQx) when he zoomed in with his phone camera, because the edges of everything look smoothed out. The port looks damaged but maybe not melted, but the image is so grainy it's hard to tell.
Bought brand new but i've been suffering with issues with the Micro SD since i've gotten it
Any possible way to retrieve my save data off the system itself?
i can't use Checkpoint because that requires the Micro SD card.. and my system is currently on OFW 6.2
all my saved data is saved to the system but i'm getting a new Switch hopefully tomorrow.. (thank god for afterpay hahah)
You can make a NAND backup over USB with HacDiskMount (do not actually mount the partition in Windows as it may corrupt the NAND, just use it to dump the USER partition which has your saves, you can dump the others as well if you like), which once decrypted/extracted with your own keys allows you to retrieve the save files.

Also can you get better pictures? Try holding the phone/camera as close as possible with it still being able to focus.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hmm what you can do to extract your keys and saves.

1) Use some RCM software to boot biskeydump
2) Scan the QR code with your phone or such, save them to keys.txt
3) Again run a RCM software and boot memloader
4) Download hacdiskmount, mount physical device, click that you wish to mount USER partition to like A:\
5) Use biskey nr 3 (I think it was), you need half of it for the first part, and the remainder for the bottom part. You will see when you click USER.
6) Use this tool: https://gbatemp.net/threads/extract-save-from-nand-backup.514261/#post-8299285 and it will extract the saves from the partition.
7) Yaaay you got your game saves!

Reactions: DerekGeneric831

DerekGeneric831

DerekGeneric831
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hmm what you can do to extract your keys and saves.

1) Use some RCM software to boot biskeydump
2) Scan the QR code with your phone or such, save them to keys.txt
3) Again run a RCM software and boot memloader
4) Download hacdiskmount, mount physical device, click that you wish to mount USER partition to like A:\
5) Use biskey nr 3 (I think it was), you need half of it for the first part, and the remainder for the bottom part. You will see when you click USER.
6) Use this tool: https://gbatemp.net/threads/extract-save-from-nand-backup.514261/#post-8299285 and it will extract the saves from the partition.
7) Yaaay you got your game saves!

I seem to get this error when pushing Memloader.bin and the switch doesn't show up in HacDiskMount
15562892620608673128907660958024.jpg

I think that might just be an optical illusion due to the lighting. It almost looks like some upscaling effect was applied (something like HQx) when he zoomed in with his phone camera, because the edges of everything look smoothed out. The port looks damaged but maybe not melted, but the image is so grainy it's hard to tell.

You can make a NAND backup over USB with HacDiskMount (do not actually mount the partition in Windows as it may corrupt the NAND, just use it to dump the USER partition which has your saves, you can dump the others as well if you like), which once decrypted/extracted with your own keys allows you to retrieve the save files.

Also can you get better pictures? Try holding the phone/camera as close as possible with it still being able to focus.

Yeah I found out it was HQx that was causing the blur look
This is possibly the best I can get it to look on a google pixel 3 xl
IMG_20190427_003945.jpg

Last edited by DerekGeneric831,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I seem to get this error when pushing Memloader.bin and the switch doesn't show up in HacDiskMount
View attachment 165019

Yeah I found out it was HQx that was causing the blur look
This is possibly the best I can get it to look on a google pixel 3 xl
View attachment 165027
That looks more normal, it does look like half the pins are missing though. Are you sure they weren't ripped out and are still in the SD reader module? They can't just disappear.

I think that error is normal if you don't have a SD card. Check device manager if the device shows up, you may have to install the driver again.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

DerekGeneric831

DerekGeneric831
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
That looks more normal, it does look like half the pins are missing though. Are you sure they weren't ripped out and are still in the SD reader module? They can't just disappear.

I think that error is normal if you don't have a SD card. Check device manager if the device shows up, you may have to install the driver again.

I already have the device installed as "APX" under my devices in Zadig and its my current libusbK (v3.0.7.0) driver but it still doesn't show up as a device in HacDiskMount for some reason
IMG_20190427_014455.jpg IMG_20190427_014506.jpg IMG_20190427_014520.jpg
"generic" is my micro sd that's currently in a microsd adapter on the side of my computer and the other is my C drive

Also, I had a look at my old reader that I took out and replaced with this new one and there's no pins attached to it or any trace of pins anywhere.. So they must have fallen off somehow while I was doing something or rather with my switch.

Last edited by DerekGeneric831,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hello @realtimesave.