Hardware Issue with the Micro SD Port on my console, do i need a new one?

DerekGeneric831

DerekGeneric831
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
so, i'm having abit of a problem with my Micro SD card reader which may cause me to have to buy another console..
originally i was having issues with my Micro SD cards being read from time to time when i inserted them into my Switch's micro sd card port
so i thought the issue was the micro sd port/reader itself.. i bought a replacement micro sd reader and tried it out and now
any micro sd card i put in can't be read.. So i checked the pins on both the reader and the board itself and it looks like i may be missing
a few pins on the bottom part of the board hence why it won't show my micro sd card.
How would i go about fixing this? or should i just buy a completely new console?
and if so.. how do i keep my save files?

Snapchat-1907973010.jpg Snapchat-1991699750.jpg

Budsixz

Gbatemp Gamemer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
dont know about fixing console but for save file there is an hombrew app called checkpoint that allows savefile backup and restore

untold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Micro sd card won't work in the console so can't access Checkpoint
Micro sd card won't work in the console so can't access Checkpoint

I had the same problem with my faulty sd card reader, I changed mine for the same reason.
But for me it was not a success, pins were broken on the switch motherboard connector for the card reader.
I have to solder wires to the pins one by one to resolve this issue... pain in the ass

Last edited by untold,
Reactions: DerekGeneric831

DerekGeneric831

DerekGeneric831
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I had the same problem with my faulty sd card reader, I changed mine for the same reason.
But for me it was not a success, pins were broken on the switch motherboard connector for the card reader.
I have to solder wires to the pins one by one to resolve this issue... pain in the ass

Yeah that's the issue I have currently.
Seems to be the switch motherboard connector card reader. I guess I'm gonna have to learn to solder.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Can you try to focus better on the connector (on the motherboard) with more light?

I'll take another picture

DerekGeneric831

DerekGeneric831
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Was it bought used?

Bought brand new but i've been suffering with issues with the Micro SD since i've gotten it
Any possible way to retrieve my save data off the system itself?
i can't use Checkpoint because that requires the Micro SD card.. and my system is currently on OFW 6.2
all my saved data is saved to the system but i'm getting a new Switch hopefully tomorrow.. (thank god for afterpay hahah)

Last edited by DerekGeneric831,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Bought brand new but i've been suffering with issues with the Micro SD since i've gotten it
Then someone at the factory must be fed the soldering up. It really looks like it's been overheated when I look at the lit up pictures.
It's of course totally possible to exchange this port, and I would recommend that approach first. Problem however is to find a spare part.

DerekGeneric831

DerekGeneric831
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Then someone at the factory must be fed the soldering up. It really looks like it's been overheated when I look at the lit up pictures.
It's of course totally possible to exchange this port, and I would recommend that approach first. Problem however is to find a spare part.

yeah, i wouldn't even know where to begin honestly

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
for the save files, i guess you'd need to dump your nand through usb and try to extract them from there.
supposedly not impossible but probably a huge hassle, since there's no dedicated software for it

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
for the save files, i guess you'd need to dump your nand through usb and try to extract them from there.
supposedly not impossible but probably a huge hassle, since there's no dedicated software for it
Ish.... he needs his biskeys. Else it's kind of straight forward.

yeah, i wouldn't even know where to begin honestly
You need a dead motherboard or such. It's totally possible this socket still works. I got a dumb idea and let's see what matty thinks about it.

@mattytrog would it be possible to just solder on a REAL micro sd card reader to the switch, and bypass these lousy connectors?

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ish.... he needs his biskeys. Else it's kind of straight forward.

You need a dead motherboard or such. It's totally possible this socket still works. I got a dumb idea and let's see what matty thinks about it.

@mattytrog would it be possible to just solder on a REAL micro sd card reader to the switch, and bypass these lousy connectors?
Yep. Can do it. I have posted a wiring diagram for the SD reader elsewhere. Use any SD reader.

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yep. Can do it. I have posted a wiring diagram for the SD reader elsewhere. Use any SD reader.
So in theory if he can solder or know one that can do "tiny soldering" he can solder to the ball joints and throw the piece of shit sd board away? Since there is actually a lot of spare room under the metal shield.

Reactions: DerekGeneric831

DerekGeneric831

DerekGeneric831
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So in theory if he can solder or know one that can do "tiny soldering" he can solder to the ball joints and throw the piece of shit sd board away? Since there is actually a lot of spare room under the metal shield.

I better start learning how to Solder let alone Micro-solder and fast hahaha

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over