Issue with laptop "Built-In Monitor"

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Apathetic_Discord, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Apathetic_Discord
    OP

Apathetic_Discord Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2009
    Here.
    Wondering if either, someone had any ideas, or if this has been encountered before but:
    Decided to connect my laptop to our TV via HDMI and there were no issues there, however after I change the laptop lid settings to "Do Nothing" when I shut the lid and the device is plugged in, it seems as though the laptop completely loses any and all connection to the Built-in Monitor (ala the laptop screen). I can no longer change the output settings between: Duplicate, Extend or Show only on display *.
    Going into the display settings seems to indicate that the device only registers the HDMI TV as a Graphical Output as there are no other options.
    Device Manager "before" closing the lid showed two Generic monitors, however after I close the lid and re-open, it just shows the one, which considering the TV is the only thing displaying, I'd assume is that.

I have tried to flash the BIOS already and that didn't help, and I even went as far as Resetting the device (Keep Personal Files) and this did fix it, however after I plugged the HDMI back in and closed the lid, it happened again (although this was when I actually realised at what stage the issue occurs).

I hadn't changed any of the settings after that refresh, so it was essentially a Clean-Boot that the issue occurred on, and since the repeat of it occurred, even Resetting the PC no longer seems to clear the issue up. (Have tried it a further 2 times).

Device Model: Acer Aspire V3-574G
    O/S: Win 10
    Graphic Drivers: Intel HD Graphics 5500 & NVIDIA GeForce 940M

Attached Files:

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Might well be baked deep in the hardware or power drivers somewhere, doubly so if it is one of those nice dual graphics chips laptops. Cowboy fix is figure out how the thing determines the lid is shut and block that -- often times it is a small plastic switch on the hinge, other times it can be a magnet behind the bezel and other times it can be the hinge assembly itself.

It sounds like you tried software things. What about the keyboard shortcuts to select the monitor*? They are not always pure software and may speak to the hardware at some deeper level. Also what happens if you remove the HDMI cable? Not ideal for general use but may trick it back into working.

*looking at http://www.notebookcheck.net/filead...er_Aspire_V3_574G_59MA_Eingabe_b65038f277.jpg it would be fn and F5 or maybe F6, or maybe no fn button if it has been set to do the commands before the f keys in BIOS.

3. Apathetic_Discord
    OP

Apathetic_Discord Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2009
    Here.
    For mine, it is Fn+F5, however this doesn't seem to make the Laptop screen wake up either.
    I assume it would maybe fix it if the laptop could even detect it's own screen (Stupid thing).

Based on your suggestions, you seem to be basing your advice on the eventuality that I close the lid again at some point, but yeah, at the moment it won't even wake up even if it's just sat as a Laptop. Unplug the HDMI and nothing, fumble with the Dual-Display toggles whilst HDMI is unplugged and still nothing, unplug HDMI and close and re-open the lid, still nothing. Unplug HDMI and restart device and still nothing.
    As far as I can see, it's as if the laptop no longer believes it's own screen even exists.

(I knew BIG SCREEN steam was too good to be true :( )

Last edited by Apathetic_Discord, Dec 20, 2016