Hardware [Issue] Console instantly powers off...

Taiyo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello there,

I just replaced the shell of a used console with a new one, but I had a bad surprise when I tested the console : It powers On for an instant (green powed led flashes) then it powers Off instantly. Like the console doesn't want me to play. :mellow:

I hope there are some experts on this forum who could help me with this, because it's for a christmas present.

I left a picture of the motherboard. It looks like there is something missing on the C40 part, next to the screw hole next to C35, but I don't remember having damaged anything while manipulating the console.:mellow:

Attachments

• Motherboard AGB001.jpg
    Motherboard AGB001.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 259

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
My GBA SP (001 model) had the exact problem. And then later I found it didn't even charge. So i had to bridge 2 fuses

It was a burnt fuse. You need to replace or bridge them. The fuse can be found right by the power switch.

Look for F1 and F2 labeled fuses, you need to bridge them.

Taiyo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is it the black micro-fuse under the big blue one and between F1 and 2 marks ? What should I do with it ?

What about the missing C40 one ?

I found someone explaining this on another forum but I can't link the picture of his bridge. He says that if there is the Power led flashing before it turns off, it comes from F1.

Last edited by Taiyo,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
My GBA SP (001 model) had the exact problem. And then later I found it didn't even charge. So i had to bridge 2 fuses

It was a burnt fuse. You need to replace or bridge them. The fuse can be found right by the power switch.

That's a bad idea. Better to replace them with equivalent fuses. The fuses are there for a reason, by bypassing them you could introduce further problems (like the console being fried)

Reactions: DinohScene

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Is it the black micro-fuse under the big blue one and between F1 and 2 marks ? What should I do with it ?

What about the missing C40 one ?

I found someone explaining this on another forum but I can't link the picture of his bridge. He says that if there is the Power led flashing before it turns off, it comes from F1.

And for the C40, it seems to be some kind of voltage filter. Simple bridge will cause the unit to not boot.

So bridge F1 and F2 and see if the unit boots. (power on and boot)

Oh, ignore comments that may be counter-productive. Just ask away.

Last edited by Coto,

Taiyo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have to say I don't understand what do you mean by bridge F1 and F2. I have a solder right now but I don't know what to do. Should I link the silver parts of the F1 black micro-fuse with iron solder ? Could you show me what to do by drawing on my pic ?

Taiyo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I can't see what you've linked ; it loads forever on photobucket.

I want to show my result with the solder but I can't post any link and uploading file fails all the time...

I tired to power on the console ; nothing changed.

Last edited by Taiyo,

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Sure, here you go:
2ecd5bn.jpg

To upload a picture, you can use some image hosting provider, when you upload the picture there will be an URL you can hotlink. Then in the message Reply look for the "Image" option, and paste there the URL.

Taiyo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I can't post any link at all, it displays this Error message : Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator.

When I want to link a picture I get this Error : There was a problem uploading your file.

Last edited by Taiyo,

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
lol

IIRC you need at least 10 posts to paste URL stuff

edit: There is another method to fix the no-power problem. But I fixed that in a non-documented way hehe

Last edited by Coto,

Taiyo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So, I had to replace the motherboard of this used GBA with the motherboard of my GBA. I just unpluged the screens and switched the motherboards.

My moded GBA works fine now but I'm left with a broken motherboard. Soldering didn't seemed to solve the problem ; in fact I might have toast the F1 fuse with the solder. :glare:

Last edited by Taiyo,

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
For a end user, yeah if that didn't work then RIP.

For someone one else that may be interested in another possibility (which I reversed by myself and it's tested):
But circuitry wise, older Nintendo technology, there's a filter that does the "negative phase sequence protection", and that breaks rendering the motherboard dead.
Bridging the negative source against the output leg of such filter/protector will cause the unit to work again. edit: that is common in rotor circuitry as it flux induces currents in a stable range for a given output.

You welcome!

Last edited by Coto,

Taiyo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Mhkay... so what's left to me is to get a hand on a very used GBA and keep the motherboard of it. I still don't understand why it's broken tho. It was working well before I change the shell.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr