isp tracking your moves

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by snakepliskin2334, Oct 11, 2012.

Oct 11, 2012
  1. snakepliskin2334
    OP

Member snakepliskin2334 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    for those of you who wanted to know how does you
    (isp) or internet service provider track you on some content downloading that they frwon apon here is how they do it How exactly does my ISP know what I'm downloading?
    Your ISP is not keeping tabs on your Internet activity. If you distribute or download a file over a P2P network, however—from the latest episode of Game of Thrones toTransformers 3—that file includes an IP address associated with your account. Available technology can identify pirated content on these networks, and when it's found, the content holder will contact the ISP with the IP address.
    Source http://www.pcmag.com...,2388261,00.asp

here is another good little pice of info you might find useful http://lifehacker.com/5870042/what-does-my-internet-provider-see-when-im-downloading-torrents

2. Quietlyawesome94

Member Quietlyawesome94 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I had no idea about this. Thanks for your helpful post. :) 10/10 will pass on to other inexperienced torrent users. :yay:

:ninja:

2 people like this.
  3. snakepliskin2334
    OP

United States
    your welcome

4. Quietlyawesome94

United States
    I've only been on five different private trackers and none of what you just mentioned has ever occurred to me. ;O;

Thanks again snakes. :mthr:

2 people like this.
  5. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Of course the ISP sees your traffic - the traffic goes straight through its servers. :lol:

Thing is, more often than not, the traffic is encrypted, partial or unreadable due to other reasons, not to mention that in many countries it's in fact illegal to check said traffic without a police warrant. It's the equivalent of your mailman holding your letters - he or she delivers them, but cannot exactly go through them since it would be a breach of privacy.

...not to mention that an average ISP has everything to lose and nothing to gain from informing copyright holders about its customer's activities.

6. snakepliskin2334
    OP

United States
    anytime man im full of useful stuff nobody asks me or anything like that so i give it away sometimes to be nice

7. Quietlyawesome94

United States
    Oh really?!? I don't know if I can forgive you for keeping your immeasurable wisdom all to yourself. >:C Puhleez tell me more of your secrets! What other tricks do you have up your sleeve? (Or scales to more correct)

2 people like this.
  8. Sheimi

Member Sheimi A cute Vixen!

Japan
    I been reading about this for more than a few hours. If they implemented this, wouldn't they be breaking the law since they are NOT telling people about it? To monitor one's internet activity without the general public knowing is invasion of privacy. I see so many privacy flaws in this. One thing, do they even take the time to go through to see what the bad outcomes is going to happen?

9. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

I agree with your post but not the last part:
    when it comes to the USA, in a majority of regions there is only 1 ISP covering the area (for geographical reasons); if people want The Internet they don't have a choice.
    so it wouldn't be a problem for an ISP to report users to authorities, after all it's not like they could switch to a different ISP. They just can't.
    Similar situation in a lot countries. Let alone the situations where there are only 2 ISPs and both pretty much would do the same, so there wouldn't be any reason to switch.

10. snakepliskin2334
    OP

United States
    we are talking about the gov. right they think they are above the law and can get away with shit so here is one of the ways they get away wit it

11. VinvinMario

Newcomer VinvinMario Advanced Member

United States
    Ah so this is how I got caught the last time. I have been wondering about it... Thanks snakepliskin12 for sharing it. I could grow my collection without being afraid of getting caught again. Thanks again! You are the man!

1 person likes this.
  12. Quietlyawesome94

United States
    I agree 100%. Not everyone is informed about how corrupt the government is and how low they will go to get what they want. *smh* In this case, tracking our poor IP addresses that are so hard to obtain. :(

1 person likes this.
  13. snakepliskin2334
    OP

United States
    thank god and i thought i was the only one and one of the many reasons i dont vote for whoever is running now a days because they pass some damn bill to make life harder on the little guys meaning us who just want to be left alone

14. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    I was merely speaking from personal experience - where I live, you have several major ISP's and dozens of small-business ISP's, the infrastructure is quite complex and there's plenty of "choice", really.

What I meant was, an ISP reporting their customers (and unlawfuly reading through their transfer) suffers as far as popularity is concerned, and I doubt that they get a huge "cut" from the copyright holders for doing so, not to mention that those scans would require massive effort to actually be fruitful.

15. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The issue is that a custom that has their internet rights cut is a lost customer.

1 person likes this.
  16. Whyat

Newcomer Whyat Member

United States
    So I just strip away the meta-data?

17. Lurker2

Banned Lurker2 Banned!

United States
    to
    They would also possibly lose money due to the consumers downgrading the plan they have since they don't need as much. So as Foxi4 said above they have everything(well not everything) to lose and nothing to gain.

Rasas and Foxi4 like this.
  18. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Riiiiight.

If you refuse to take any part in the political process, you have no one to blame but yourself if you're not satisfied with how it works out.

3 people like this.
  19. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    ...or you can just use encrypted newsgroups and not worry about what your downloading, since there's no way for anybody to tell.

20. snakepliskin2334
    OP

United States
    even if you do vote they will be in office and you will pay for it later when they pass some cyber bill or someshit like that like the other one that got drafted up and congress voted no go on it i forget which one it was but it wasnt to long ago