Hacking ISOs? help

snavid972

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I soft modded my wii for the first time and downloaded an ISO the wii is not playing the iso using usb loader gx . So I converted my flash drive to wbfs and converted the iso to wbfs and it worked ..im confused did the drive have to be converteds to wbfs to play games or does the iso have to be converted to wbfs?

ouch123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WBFS (Wii Backup File System) is a filesystem like FAT and NTFS. Basically, it's the main (but not only) file format that many backup launchers use. To the best of my knowledge, you don't convert ISOs to a "WBFS format," but rather, WBFS manager is simply an interface for reading and writing to HDDs that have been formatted to WBFS, since most (if not all) general-use computer operating systems don't support WBFS natively.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You dont have to use a WBFS partition. Most loaders can use FAT32 too, some NTFS or EXT2/3/4.
The recomended FS is FAT32 since it has the highest compability to wii homebrew and is the only one that can be used for GC loading.
Some people use a FAT32/NTFS split with FAT32 for homebrew, GC and NTFS for Wii because
they can't stand the thought that their precious Wii games are torn appart into two files.

snavid972

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You dont have to use a WBFS partition. Most loaders can use FAT32 too, some NTFS or EXT2/3/4.
The recomended FS is FAT32 since it has the highest compability to wii homebrew and is the only one that can be used for GC loading.
Some people use a FAT32/NTFS split with FAT32 for homebrew, GC and NTFS for Wii because
they can't stand the thought that their precious Wii games are torn appart into two files.

I was just confused cause the ISO I had downloaded would not work on ntfs format thumb drive....I didnt try Fat32 because the iso is 4.6GB and is too large for Fat32 ....so that led me to the WBFS conversion and now the game reads

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's why you use a program to split your ISO into *.wbfs files, like WiiBackupManager or something similar. There's little point using a WBFS partition anymore. Go with WBFS files.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
There are.
You missunderstood what be tried to say.

The point was that the format the files on an WBFS partition are in is nothing special.
Its just a normal ISO stored as a sparse file, something other fs like NFTS or EXT2/3/4 can do too.

(*.wbfs files on the other hand ARE in a special format,
a wbfs file is an image of an wbfs filesystem containing a single game)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.