Hacking ISO Vs WBFS?

oji

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
In WBFS you won't store a random data garbage which fills a discs up to the 4.3Gb DVD capacity. So if, let's say, a whole game's size is only 100Mb plus a some update data, WBFS truncate it to a 100+ Mb file & ISO for the same title is a full 4.3 Gb dump. Go for ISOs only if you're a clean dump collector or a purist.

superx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
In WBFS you won't store a random data garbage which fills discs up to the 4.3Gb DVD capacity. So if let's say, a whole game's size is only 100Mb plus some update data, WBFS truncate it to a 100+ Mb file & ISO for the same title is a full 4.3 Gb dump. Go for ISOs only if you're a clean dump collector or a purist.
thank you very much, I will go for wbfs because I just want to play them.

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the PC storage side I just recently went from NTFS compressed ISOs to scrubbed (Game partition only) WBFS and saved a ton of space even with no compression on the WBFS files.

The only problem with WBFS is that it doesn't compress very well since the data is still encrypted. However, you can use Wiim's ISO Tools to compress them to WIA format, which is like a scrubbed WBFS file but with the data decrypted and compressed. The space savings are massive. The only downside is that the format is for storage purposes only and you can't run them directly with any loaders. You can easily convert them back to WBFS, though.

In any case the best format for actually playing them is scrubbed WBFS on a FAT32 drive with 32KB clusters.

Last edited by ChiefReginod,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
On the PC storage side I just recently went from NTFS compressed ISOs to scrubbed (Game partition only) WBFS and saved a ton of space even with no compression on the WBFS files.

The only problem with WBFS is that it doesn't compress very well since the data is still encrypted. However, you can use Wiim's ISO Tools to compress them to WIA format, which is like a scrubbed WBFS file but with the data decrypted and compressed. The space savings are massive. The only downside is that the format is for storage purposes only and you can't run them directly with any loaders. You can easily convert them back to WBFS, though.

In any case the best format for actually playing them is scrubbed WBFS on a FAT32 drive with 32KB clusters.
I play mine on NTFS (I forget the cluster size) with WBFS files, because I don't like splitting my WBFS games that are over 4GB. CFG Loader plays every game I have just fine too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: