Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Mbmax said:
Rydian said:
Why would a normal person google for images of a printed circuit board?
To avoid to say bullshit ?
The iSMM is not a dstwo clone.
So what, people come out of the womb knowing what a PCB is and shit?

My point is it's unreasonable to expect the average person to crack open a flash cart to compare PCBs before making a clone claim (especially if they don't even own one or both).

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Mbmax said:
Rydian said:
Why would a normal person google for images of a printed circuit board?
To avoid to say bullshit ?
The iSMM is not a dstwo clone.
So what, people come out of the womb knowing what a PCB is and shit?

My point is it's unreasonable to expect the average person to crack open a flash cart to compare PCBs before making a clone claim (especially if they don't even own one or both).
Yeah.
And this guy come out on this post and drop an answer without knowing what he is talking about is a good point to you ?
No way.

Better post nothing than bullshit. It's my point.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
It's a flash cart, not your manhood, you don't need to be so defensive.

When you ARE it makes people think you do have personal ties to the cart/team.
I see. You are the kind of guy who wish to have the last word.
You won.
Now stop with that, ok ?

You are ridiculous now ...

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whether someone is average or not (which, in reality, is in and of itself not true, seeing as few people actually know what flashcards are, and even fewer use them) is irrelevant. Research is accessible to anyone able to visit this site. If one is to make the bold statement that a flashcard is a clone based upon aesthetic looks and similarities, then they are ill-informed, not "average." An average user of flashcards is well aware that there are many different kinds, with different OS's, and are built differently as well in terms of hardware. I did my first day knowing about flashcards. How? I Googled it and researched. On my first day of knowing about them. Am I above average for that? I don't think so at all.

Even now, after almost two years, I still choose to never crack open my flashcards (I only have two of them, but whatever). I still know about these things. And I'm still perfectly able to use Google for needs I may have. The average flashcard user should know about a flashcard's PCB. Why consume or purchase something without knowing what it generally is or is made of? What I don't expect from an average user is to be able to build PCB's, know what the parts are in the circuit board, understand properties of CPU power, comprehend how OS's work, and things relating to this; the minutia of it all. People should know that their flashcard won't work without their PCB. That it won't work without firmware, a microSD, and an OS. Users should have a basic idea of the insides of a flashcard, especially so if a certain flashcard is theirs. Also, if another flashcard is being accused of being a clone/knockoff of the one they have or are thinking of getting, they should research it.

I don't consider the act of research to be above average. Baseless accusations, "iSMM is a clone!" are just silly, not average.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
shakirmoledina said:
at first i thought "why are they praising it so much? Isnt it basically SC?" and then Ahhh.... its as i think
will it be much cheaper than SC? thts the only selling point

it seems that every negative review i write i get asked why i bashed the product and every positive review i get asked why i praised it so much. we do not write biased reviews at gbatemp, especially since i'm in charge =P. we write what we experienced. it gets praised because it works really well and does a lot of nice things with few issues. i'll forever take some sort of virtual-shit for my conclusions, i just wanted to make the point that we aren't getting paid by the team to praise their cards. if they ever offered a bribe, you can rest assured that i would be the first person to make a front page post about it and then boycott the review of that kit.

i'm not saying you were saying "that" but i wanted to use your comment as a foundation for my soap box. =)

i've had very little issues with this kit so far during testing. fast is working hard to test the video plugin. so i am really enjoying this flash kit and i think it is worth the cost. we do not know yet if the slower cpu will cause any problems. in-game menu is working fine, i'm more curious about the video testing results. also how much "slower" is it actually? will it be able to run the sfc emu and get the same compatibility results? these are the things that will make it worth the cost or not. if they simply drop it to $25 i think it will sell out very quickly.

i wish that people would get the "who was 1st" idea out of their head. just because the scds2 did these things first, it doesn't mean someone else can't do them just as well or better.

-another world

Lassik

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's obviously not a "Clone" or "Knockoff". It's a card in it's own right with it's own hardware separate from the DSTWO.

However, with that being said, in it's current state "Software wise", it's far too similar to the to the DSTWO to be appealing enough to turn people on to it over the DSTWO which already gets so much praise. If you're new to the scene and you do just a little searching, you're going to see people everywhere talking about how much they love the DSTWO and you'll be sold.

Given enough time and the right starting price I think they can stand apart from the DSTWO and ultimately be a top contender. Right now as it stands though if i'm a first time buyer and I see both at the same price, and looking at those screenshots being virtually identical to the DSTWO software, coupled with DSTWO praise across the internet, i'd buy the DSTWO.

They really should have taken a little more time with the software and did a bit of an overhaul to really set it apart from the DSTWO while still offering the same features.

As for everyone getting worked up about this being called a clone... Step back, take a breath, and calm down. It's very reasonable to see why a newcomer would think this. Just look a the screenshots. It's not rocket science trying to figure out how they came to that conclusion. Not sure how this baffles you...

As for those still calling this a clone, it's not. Now, that's not to say they didn't basically rip off the DSTWO's software with no attempt to even disguise this fact in a cheap attempt at rushing their card to the market. However, I think given time they will grow apart in similarities and this whole clone discussion will be a thing of the past.

I look forward to seeing what new things they come up with that can really set this card apart. The competition between the iSmartMM and DSTWO can only mean better features for us all in the long run.

This whole issue may even get shadowed by the iEvo and cards like it that plan to bring DSi Mode to us.

/rant off

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I see your mop and raise you George's mop lol