Hacking Is Zelda: OoT 3D the only exploit for Gateway 3DS?

levelt8t

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am looking to get a 3DS (old not "new") and a flash cart. I have come to learn that my best bet is to get a 3DS with firmware 9.2 (or lower) and use the Gateway 3DS flash cart; or else the Sky3DS flash cart for firmware 9.3+.

Now, I am trying to figure out how to install and use the flash carts. It is my understanding that (at least for the Gateway 3DS) I will need an original Zelda: OoT 3D game cartridge to use as a one-time exploit in order to get the flash cart installed and working. So my question is, are there any other exploits available that I could use so that I don't need to get a copy of Zelda: OoT 3D? Also, do I need to buy an SD for the 3DS in order to use the exploit and to save my games, or can I just use my microSD card that I'd be putting my 3DS game backups on? If I do need an SD card for the exploit/save games, what size do you recommend? Thanks!

nyder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, you are at the right place, but your search fu is lacking. As said in other threads, OOT is NOT the only exploit for launcheing Gateway, it's 1 of 3 methods possible, depending on which 3DS you have.

Reactions: levelt8t
D

Deleted-19228

New 3DS or Old 3DS? If old 3DS you can just use websploit to launch gateway menu then downgrade and use normal sploit. If on New 3DS you need OoT or Cubic Ninja, both of which are $45+

levelt8t

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
New 3DS or Old 3DS? If old 3DS you can just use websploit to launch gateway menu then downgrade and use normal sploit. If on New 3DS you need OoT or Cubic Ninja, both of which are $45+

I'm looking for an OLD 3DS. I forgot to mention that! ;)

alantgw

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
OOT/Cubic Ninja for N3DS
Seems like you are having OG 3DS, spider exploit would be good enough
What you need for GW spider elploit:
1. Wifi-connect
2. Gateway Redcard
3. SD for the 3DS

levelt8t

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OOT/Cubic Ninja for N3DS
Seems like you are having OG 3DS, spider exploit would be good enough
What you need for GW spider elploit:
1. Wifi-connect
2. Gateway Redcard
3. SD for the 3DS

By "Gateway Redcard", is this what you mean? Also, if I need an SD card to use the GW spider exploit, can I use this SD card to store my save games (or can I save games on my microSD card)?

Codename

GREEN BRO IS BEST BRO
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
By "Gateway Redcard", is this what you mean? Also, if I need an SD card to use the GW spider exploit, can I use this SD card to store my save games (or can I save games on my microSD card)?
Yeah, that's the same Gateway he's talking about. The Gateway "red card" is just the name for the Gateway 3DS-mode flashcard. When you buy a Gateway flashcard from most sites (like the one you linked to), you get two flashcards - one is a DS-mode flashcard and the other is a 3DS-mode flashcard. The DS-mode flashcard would be called the Gateway "blue card".

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The Gateway 3DS comes with two cartridges. One RED and one BLUE. They have their unique purposes.

If you're on an old/standard 3DSXL with firmware 9.2 or lower, you're in the gold.

If higher than 9.2 you're looking at a Sky3DS, not a GW until they release another exploit. Which could take a while...

Although you can also get a New3DSXL which will require either ZeldaOOT or CubicNinja to install.

A Sky3DS can run on any 3DS, but it doesn't do what the GW does. (Mostly ROM dumping and homebrewing)

HOWEVER, some have decided it is worth more to buy a Sky3DS and use it to fake a ZeldaOOT or Cubic Ninja game (which works on N3DS!). Since the discovery of the exploit, eBay's pricing on these games has shot sky high.

But again, if either old or new is above 9.5, you're stuck using a Sky3DS.

If you are looking for an old 3DSXL you need to find the UPC codes that match firmware 9.2. (search this forum)

If you are looking for a new 3DSXL ditto. BEWARE THE MAJORAS MASK EDITION. Most of them are shipping with 9.4.

I would say go New3DSXL and get both Gateway 3DS AND Sky3DS. Yes, expensive, but the Sky3DS will come in handy and pays for itself. If you want cheaper, then buy New3DSXL and Gateway 3DS and Cubic Ninja game.

You need a MicroSD card with CLASS 10. 32GB is plenty. Brand doesn't matter. You might want to get two of them. Most come with an SD adapter, but a USB adapter wouldn't hurt.

This help any?

EDIT: What? I get a like and no questions? Ask away...

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The OoT exploit doesn't even work on the original 3DS systems

You don't need anything apart from the Gateway itself, an internet connection, and an SD card for your 3DS which I assume you already have

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old 3ds doesn't require oot. GW uses internet browser exploit.
The OoT exploit doesn't even work on the original 3DS systems

You don't need anything apart from the Gateway itself, an internet connection, and an SD card for your 3DS which I assume you already have

*sighs*

IF YOU BUY AN OLD 3DSXL ON FIRMWARE 9.2 OR LOWER YOU ONLY NEED GATEWAY

IF YOU BUY NEW 3DSXL YOU WILL NEED ZeldaOOT OR Cubic Ninja.

IF YOU BUY ANYTHING WITH FIRMWARE 9.5 OR ABOVE YOU ARE SCREWED AND CAN -ONLY- USE SKY3DS.

Happy?

And then they point out that Gateway CAN use more than 32GB as can the old 3DSXL in the SD slot, but it requires some "hacking".

The Sky3DS... stick to 32GB.

If you buy both the Sky3DS and the Gateway 3DS, you will need two microSDs AND either a microSD (NEW3DSXL) or a SD card (OLD 3DSXL). Which comes to 3.

Go nuts folks...

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as you feel more confident about what you know, that's what matters. Don't want to see you waste money and end up unhappy.

Any other questions? Like... "What if I buy shiny egg and insert into port B and plug it into my butt?"
Because I'm sure there's someone who tried it and has an answer. ;)

ren-stimpy-happy-happy-joy-o.gif

nyder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

And then they point out that Gateway CAN use more than 32GB as can the old 3DSXL in the SD slot, but it requires some "hacking".

If "hacking" is running a program and putting in the correct settings, then I guess everyone is a hacker. To run a > 32GB SD in Gateway doesn't require any "hacking", it requires reading and searching skills, nothing more.

Reactions: thorasgar

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I am looking to get a 3DS (old not "new") and a flash cart. I have come to learn that my best bet is to get a 3DS with firmware 9.2 (or lower) and use the Gateway 3DS flash cart; or else the Sky3DS flash cart for firmware 9.3+.

Now, I am trying to figure out how to install and use the flash carts. It is my understanding that (at least for the Gateway 3DS) I will need an original Zelda: OoT 3D game cartridge to use as a one-time exploit in order to get the flash cart installed and working. So my question is, are there any other exploits available that I could use so that I don't need to get a copy of Zelda: OoT 3D? Also, do I need to buy an SD for the 3DS in order to use the exploit and to save my games, or can I just use my microSD card that I'd be putting my 3DS game backups on? If I do need an SD card for the exploit/save games, what size do you recommend? Thanks!
You can't use OoT or Cubic Ninja to launch Gateway on o3DS, nor do you need to, it can launch from the browser and from there you can downgrade if you want to be able to launch it without wifi.
The 3DS comes with a SD card, so you just need a MicroSD for the Gateway.
Though there isn't any benefit to owning a flashcart anymore unless you prefer the convenience of placing .3ds roms on a MicroSD and running them directly without having to wait 15 minutes-1 hour to install a game. Everything else can be done with free CFW.

Is the Zelda oot exploit available on 9.2-0 but with no web browser . o3ds?
As already mentioned, The OoT exploit can't be used with Gateway on o3DS. It can however be used to run homebrew, and you can launch a free CFW through that, but you need a way to get the save onto the cart. (PowerSaves, a hacked/homebrewed 3DS or a savedongle)
With a browserless o3DS on firmware 5.0 or higher you'll be unable to use Gateway since the only means to launch it on higher firmwares uses the browser.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: 75mak

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night