Is XBox 360 as disgusting as I thought?

SkeletonSmith

subscribe Skeleton Smith Gaming on youtube
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i was at my bois house and he wanted to show me something in GTA v, and I found the disc and it said "disc 2", does Xbox 360 seriously need 2 discs? Is it really that bad? Didnt we stop that years ago?

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yeah, some late games require you to install a data pack from a second disk to use the game. Some of this were just HD textures (as Splinter Cell: Blacklist) but others are forced to play the game. Even some games require you to change between disks, but this were only a few... and yeah, as a lot of people say, the Xbox 360 is already 15 years old, and also the console uses DVDs, which by 2013 (Grand Theft Auto V release year) where already being deprecated by the Blu-ray disk format.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Really? That's what "disgusts" you? You must have pretty low standards.

Did you know the PS4/Xboner has a few multiple disc games, too? Last of Us 2, for an extremely recent example, has 2 discs; one that's a "data disc" that you install to your HDD, and one that's a "play" disc. Same for Red Dead Redemption 2.

And I guarantee the PS5 and Sexbox will have multi-disc games, too. While I'm sure they'll both support BDXL discs (which can reach 300GB per disc, though I believe currently 100GB is most common), they're still extremely expensive to produce, and publishers are either going to just include 1 disc and have you download the rest (like a fair few Switch titles, and which will probably be the most common), or they're going to use multiple blu-ray discs.

That's what you get when game sizes become dramatically huge, optical storage can only go so far and going download only is still considered a bad move by a fair majority so we won't be rid of them this gen.

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Didnt we stop that years ago?
This console was released well over a decade ago. And has been superseded for well over half a decade.

Having said that I was listening to Ace of Base on tape deck the other day and I had to rewind the tape to hear the song again. I'm sure we stopped doing that at least a few years ago

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i was at my bois house and he wanted to show me something in GTA v, and I found the disc and it said "disc 2", does Xbox 360 seriously need 2 discs? Is it really that bad? Didnt we stop that years ago?

Pretty common for games to have multiple disc, because they can't fit everything into one.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS3 was superior to the 360 because of the Blu-Ray... not sure what was Microsoft thinking back in the day not to do Blu-Ray aswell

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're disgusted by that, stay away from playstation one and gamecube. :P

Or would you prefer halo master chief collection on xbox one where you had to download data from server to even play the game... like some nintendo switch games... even if you bought the retail copy. :creep:

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If you're disgusted by that, stay away from playstation one and gamecube. :P

Or would you prefer halo master chief collection on xbox one where you had to download data from server to even play the game. [...]

That thing precisely was what made me throw away my interest on getting an xbox one. Having to download more than 60 GB of data (for the Master Chief Collection) to be able to even play the game making the disk useless for the most part (in therms of available disk space) and using it just as a key, that really sucks big. What a waste of resources.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That thing precisely was what made me throw away my interest on getting an xbox one. Having to download more than 60 GB of data (for the Master Chief Collection) to be able to even play the game making the disk useless for the most part (in therms of available disk space) and using it just as a key, that really sucks big. What a waste of resources.
Well yeah... every game disc on that system requires the disc to lay. Technically, both Playstation 4 or xbox one game disc won't play without the disc. Data install is mandatory and begins after inserting the disc (Is done to speed up load times. I think it reads from both disc and Hard drive) all disc games on those consoles do that, regardless of file size I believe. Previous generation had similar things.

ON PS3 you either had a game that

Required no data install
Optional data install for faster loading times
Mandatory data install to play the game

Even some PS2 & psp games had option to install game data to disc for speeding up load times.

It honestly isn't good that the halo game needed to download extra data from server to play because it wasn't on disc, but then again. It could be worst, tony hawk pro skater 5 bad where the actual full game wasn't even on the disc. In tony hawk case, is just bad, but halo case, must have needed a fix that was too late to address with disc before they mass produced it. :ninja:

Reactions: cvskid

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS3 was superior to the 360 because of the Blu-Ray... not sure what was Microsoft thinking back in the day not to do Blu-Ray aswell

not really. the bd drive was too slow, so that's why it require installs. a game like gears of war 3 is only possible on the 360 due to lack of available ram. the ps3 os is very poorly optimized and has too much going on to run the game. the game was ported to the ps3, but it can only be run by dech systems with twice as much ram.

Jarmenti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Disks? what are those? Over in PC gaming land disks haven't existed for ages... consoles are only now catching up w/ the diskless offerings. Optical disk read times are horrendously slow even compared to standard hard disk drives. Then theres the fact that games are pushing in upwards of 100+gb these days, and would even require multiple bluray disks if there was no digital downloads involved.

Reactions: KingBlank

Nostalgia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Disks? what are those? Over in PC gaming land disks haven't existed for ages... consoles are only now catching up w/ the diskless offerings. Optical disk read times are horrendously slow even compared to standard hard disk drives. Then theres the fact that games are pushing in upwards of 100+gb these days, and would even require multiple bluray disks if there was no digital downloads involved.
lol catching up by taking options away from you

makes sense

Reactions: Stealphie

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
...I'm just giggling at the 'disgusting' part of it: OP obviously never had Monkey Island 2 on the Amiga (although there are even better examples) - 14 floppy disks of gaming goodness*

EDIT - I could be wrong with the number! :lol: Monkey Island 1 was 4...... definitely over 10 anyway, but you get my point (although I've probably ruined it now!)

Last edited by mightymuffy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night