1. Pickle_Rick

Pickle_Rick I'm a pickle Morty!

United States
    Digital game downloads have been a thing since the PS3/360 era and the PS4/XB1 require you to install the whole disk to the hard drive nowadays. This is why people hate PCMR types. You brag about stuff that has been standard since 2005. Hell even the OG Xbox could download XBLA titles.

Stealphie likes this.
  2. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--

Germany
    I think going with regular DVDs was a smart move by Microsoft. Both Bluray and HD-DVD were new formats by the time the Xbox 360 was released in 2005 and would have driven the cost up massively. At that time, SD TVs were still the norm, HD content wasnt widely adopted yet. By going with DVDs over Bluray or HD-DVD Microsoft was able to keep the cost down. Remember, the premium model of the Xbox 360 was $399 at launch, the PS3 was launched a whole year later for $599. That's a huge price difference.

While the PS3 was certainly well priced package (it was one of the cheapest bluray players available and could also play games), for the gamer the experience on screen was practically identical between the two systems, even with the upcoming rise of HD screens.

Yet, the PS3 experience was 50% more expensive due to the technology which I believe gave Microsoft the edge. Their system was considerably cheaper, and the user experience was the same.

After all, the multi disc games took years to arrive and weren't common, either I do have a considerable and only a handful of titles come with two discs, some of which are even just optional (both forza 3 and 4 came on two discs containing a number of cars, but you could play the game without this content.)

By the time HD content was adopted by the consumer, standalone bluray players were available for cheap. Sony was not able to repeat the strategy of the PS2 with the PS3.

Last edited by Localhorst86, Jun 21, 2020
    Dodain47 likes this.
  3. Retinal_FAILURE

Retinal_FAILURE GBAtemp Regular

United States
    xK3Y doesn't require 2 discs. Just one USB drive :P
    If I don't like the way that something is operating, I change the operations of the device the easiest way possible, or change my attitude about the initial operation because if I'm not happy then I'm not happy; only I can change my outlook on life or XBOX 360!

slaphappygamer likes this.
  4. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Four? My version had a couple hundred. :P
    maxresdefault.jpg

(to those unfamiliar: this was one of the many, many jokes that were in the secret of monkey island)
    [​IMG]

Last edited by Taleweaver, Jun 21, 2020
    Stealphie and mightymuffy like this.
  5. realtimesave

realtimesave GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It uses DVD discs. Noob question.

6. Azerus_Kun

Azerus_Kun Pro Plasher

Uruguay
    yeah, if i remember correctly normal bluray is called bd, and holds up to 25 gb, then there is bd-xl which holds up to 50, they ran out of names and called the 100 gb ones uhd-bd, but data is data, i dont know why they wouldnt be able to
    i'll have to disagree, the ps3, while more powerful, had a confusing arquitecture, at a similar pricepoint most developers would choose to work on the easier system, really the winner tends to be whoever developers like more

Stealphie likes this.
  7. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Addict

One exception to this is the PS2, which came to success in part due to it's DVD drive and riding high off of the PS1.

One of the criticisms of the PS3 was it's launch price, had the 360 lost that advantage it's possible several consumers who bought 360s may have bought PS3s, particularly with factors such as the initial PS2 BC and free online.

The PS3 was still typically supported by devs, although they may be inferior ports compared to the 360.

Azerus_Kun likes this.
  8. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Just looked into the xk3y. I have a phat xenon with a hitachi47 drive. I think this is my best option (aside from trashing this console for a slim). It seems I’ll also need the x360usbpro. Pretty sure that’ll be all I need. Is this right? I have only a laptop, so a via pci sata card isn’t an option for me. I was thinking about flashing the drive only, but I’ll need the x360usbpro for that too. Xk3y is the best for me?

9. SuperDan

SuperDan Im Aware ... Im Unaware

United States
    i must have burnt about 400 discs for my Flashed Xbox 360 back in the day which took ages ... they use dual layer DVD's 9 gigs at max if i remember correctly .... where as ps3 had Blu-Ray ..............

10. SkeletonSmith

OP SkeletonSmith subscribe Skeleton Smith Gaming on youtube

United States
    See one of my problems was they tried to pretend like they used blu ray but were stuck with dvd media... At least nintendo knew how to stuff so much into 8.7 or 4.4 gigs of space with Wii...

11. Boesy

Boesy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    How is that disgusting?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

What? They didn't pretend anything, they always used DVDs.

There was a time they used HD DVDs, but that was only for movies and Blu-ray won that battle in the end.

PS3 games were kind of small making the use of Blu-ray Discs a waste and expensive, but then again PS3 was expensive for SONY.

Stealphie likes this.
  12. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

United Kingdom
    ...so your argument is the Wii could've handled GTA5 with textures comparable to the PS3/360 version, all compressed onto one DVD? Congrats man, that made me laugh ...keep em coming!! :lol:

Stealphie, SuperDan and Boesy like this.
  13. SuperDan

United States
    you could buy cheap dual layer DVD's i think they was 25 for $10 ...... no name brand ... it use to take ages to burn 360 discs .... jeeesus but i used to love it back then

Wii doing ps3 games ................. only in a dream ............ alas the ps3 emulator works well on pc these days tho ... for certain games

Last edited by SuperDan, Jun 23, 2020
  14. Boesy

United Kingdom
    Generic ones / later to be disposed are cheap, but branded DVD9 discs still have a somewhat high price for what it is.

There's also DVD-ROM discs although not much point with USB Flash drives and SD Cards.

SuperDan likes this.
  15. SuperDan

United States
    Everyone loves a bit of Bully !!!! ... if you are going to hack a 360 do the RGB way forget about burning discs just play from a harddrive .... you see i bought my 360 pre flashed ... years ago .... when i still lived in London ... then did all the hassle of burning a disc agbx hack ect ect ...& the damn 360 elite would always give me problems in hardware id have to buy a new disc drive ... clean it often ect it lasted about 8 years until i gave it to my friends son .... with 400 games ..... i'd get my discs from ebay 50 at a time ... just plain cheapo's but they worked fine .... i used to hook up all my mates ect when the newer games came out ....

Last edited by SuperDan, Jun 23, 2020
  16. Chuardo

Chuardo GBAtemp Fan

Uruguay
    The Last of Us 2 has 2 discs too and it came out 4 days ago

Taleweaver and SuperDan like this.
  17. SuperDan

United States
    Nothing wrong with disc's loool... My gaming pc doesn't even have a Disc drive at all.. The new ps4 doesn't either the digital one anyways....

18. Boesy

United Kingdom
    RDR 2 had two discs, but it was a Japan exclusive? That's an odd thing to be exclusive.

Rockstar totally buried RDR, Red Dead Revolver.

Eh, you moved from London to U.S.? How'd that happen?

SuperDan likes this.
  19. SuperDan

United States
    I was flirting with a girl online.. 9 years ago for 3 months flew over to visit & ended up married to her at the end of those 3 months been here 9 years.. In deep Louisiana... But saying that I've lived every where my whole life long story short.. I was a bad kid mom. Kicked me out at 16.. She really didn't have a choice it was all me... Being a complete shit... So I lived all over London.. Then moved to Manchester then leeds then shifield.. Then Scotland.. Eventually back to London.. Then I got into raves ect met a Japanese girl moved back and forth from London to Japan.. 3 times.. When that ended.. Moved to New Zealand.. Came back joined the army went all over with them.. For 4 years.. Got sick of it all back to London again lool.got something called Gillian Bae ray syndrome spent a year in hospital nearly died a few times there... . Ect ect Ives always been moving my whole life.. Now I'm here.... And settling down its a long ass story mate... With lots missing in between.. It's been a bit nuts but chilling now forever doing well money wise... Ect mortgage done own some land here... I'm finally happy... But still I miss smelly old London town and the old gang...

Last edited by SuperDan, Jun 24, 2020
    Stealphie and Boesy like this.
  20. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    multi-disc games often ended up being among the best of their given console. FF VII on PS1 was a 3 disc game (almost was pared down to 2 though). If it's a way of easing around limitations, I have no objections.

IIRC, GTA V on 360 had an "install" and "play" disc. And in a pinch, you could rip both of them, as long as they were on different media. So if you had one disc ripped to an external USB and one on the internal HDD, you could still get all the NXE based improvements. Though considering how unlikely I am to give Rockstar any of my money anymore, it's not even a point I care about as of this writing.

slaphappygamer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - disgusting, thought,