1. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

United States
    You just saved me money buying a physical copy of the master chief collection. I hate when that happens to games. Spyro the dragon collection did the same thing only having spyro 1 and i think a portion of spyro 2 on the disc. You have to download the rest.

2. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Well that's weird. Halo couldn't fit on the disc, is 70GB big, Spyro reignited is about 40GB. The disc should have up to 50GB. :blink:

Guess the game disc was made without the full game. Not surprised, things like that happen a lot. Tony Hawk pro skater 5 for example. :ninja:

3. Azerus_Kun

Azerus_Kun GBAtemp Regular

Uruguay
    problem is they did not include hd-dvd with the console itself, it was an addon, that only played movies

4. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

It was likely a cost reason and maybe a production issue, iirc the PS3 saw delays because of BD drive component shortages.

Even if they integrated the drive, there were still no guarantees of success considering e.g. studio support was still an issue and it could also have ended up harming the platform if it was priced closer to the PS3.

5. Azerus_Kun

Uruguay
    probably, but ps3 was actually fairly well priced if instead of comparing it to the wii and 360, you compared it to other blu-ray players, the hd-dvd addon wasnt really that much cheaper than a standalone hd dvd player

6. Tweaker_Modding

Tweaker_Modding Siezure Dice™

United Kingdom
    GTA 5 has 2 discs one for installing the game (which is needed) and the other is playing the game as the game is far too big to fit on 1 disc the PS3 version didn’t need 2 discs as the PS3 uses blu-ray which can hold more space then DVDs can

7. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish
    Former Staff

Japan
    Yeah, I would agree that was a mistake. By not including it the PS3 made Blu-Ray a much more convenient media format.

Azerus_Kun likes this.
  8. Mohammed2935

Mohammed2935 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Kuwait
    So what if some 360 games needs 2 disks ?

Final fantasy 7 remake needed 2 blu rays and it is on ps4.

360 gamers was playing the games while you are installing games on you ps3 hdd via blu rays.

360 was loading the games from the disk at least and taking hdd space.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Blu ray was a to transfer games to hdd not to load from.

blu ray is dead from the beginning.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

360 can transfer disks data from dvds to hdd faster from your one big blu ray disk because I think the dvd has faster writing/ reading speed

9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Blue Dragon has 3 discs. But, that's a JRPG with plenty of FMV cutscenes, and multiple discs were kind of the norm for those. Sure getting up to change the disc is a hassle but you only have to do it twice, I don't see the big deal.

10. Azerus_Kun

Uruguay
    the ps3's bluray was slow, but not bluray as a whole, and bluray is far from dead, both ps4 and xbox one use them, one s and one x use uhd bluray which is an improved version of bluray, and what ps5 and series x will use

11. Mohammed2935

Mohammed2935 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Kuwait
    Uhd blu ray is just new name for larger blu ray disks (100 gb or more) to hold 4k movies ..... these blu ray capacities were available on blu ray launch day ... I think hehe.

Can you load games from them? I think not.

12. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

United States
    waiting for the proposed holographic disc format that holds 2TBs. I don't know where they are in developing it, but it was formulated around the time bluray came out.

slaphappygamer likes this.
  13. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Yup... I stopped doing that years ago. I'm a gamer, damnit, not a DJ. I just embraced the new fad of 'downloading' a game... Through LEGAL means, no less! I still have that device, but the way. It's called a computer. While it still has a DVD-drive, it's just for holding my coffee cup now.

Oh, right... Consoles. Yeah... What did you expect? You can have graphical power AND it being on a 'physical' medium (because obviously some people call themselves gamers despite apparently still having 56k modems), but it comes at the horrible price of... <wait for dramatic effect>... Multiple discs!!! :tpi:

Wikipedia states it has 11.

14. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

It was the cheapest BD player at launch, but remember, at launch HDTVs were still on the rise at the time and allot of us were still using SDTVs so we didn’t care for BD, even then I don’t know how many with HDTVs cared for BD.

The price of the systems was a talking point, the only people I knew of to say the PS3 was a good price were those looking at it as a BD player more so than just a console.

For context (360 basic £210, 360 w/HDD £280, Wii £180, Ps3 £425).

Had MS included a HD DVD player and raised the price of the console, I think the 360 would have suffered to the PS3’s benefit.

Last edited by tech3475, Jun 21, 2020
    Azerus_Kun likes this.
  15. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

United Kingdom
    Yeah that rings more of a bell - the first was definitely 4 disks which probably got me mixed up. Beneath a Steel Sky had 15 though! Either way, just noticed OP was also recently slagging off Smash Ultimate Online on another topic, also calling that disgusting for giving him the hour ban when he doesn't finish an online match off, so the lad's clearly a bit of a berk :lol:

duwen likes this.
  16. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I mean, how hard can this be!?! It’s 2020!

digital downloads are better

godreborn likes this.
  17. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

United States
    looks like the limit is actually 6TBs. damn

18. sergey3000

sergey3000 GBAtemp Fan

Iceland
    For me Xbox 360 is better console than the PS3. Almost all third party games run better on the Xbox 360.

duwen and slaphappygamer like this.
  19. tglaria

tglaria Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Congo, Democratic Republic of the
    Well, the Xbox360 is "years ago".
    What did you expect?

20. tglaria

tglaria Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Congo, Democratic Republic of the
    They went with DVD for cheaper alternative and tried to use the HD-DVD standard.
    Since HD-DVD format failed commercially, there was no use to keep on using it on Xbox360.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - disgusting, thought,