Hardware Is wiikey what I need (situation explained)

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been around here for a while but my focus has always been on the handheld end of things. My kid got a japanese Wii from his grandparents for Christmas, and while its neat to have access to the japanese wifi and all, its a major hassle getting games. While I won't try to pretend I wouldn't give backups a try, I am mostly interested in making it possible to play USA Wii games and USA Gamecube games (we have about 50) on this japanese Wii. We tried the Freeloader for the gamecube games but it didn't work.

The wiikey seems to offer the best compatibility for using USA games on a japanese Wii, at least where the Wii games are concerned. Am I correct about this?

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know, all the chips that have region patching have the same compatibility. But Wiikey is the tried and true commercial chip, so it seems.

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would recommend reading the gbatemp wiki region compatibility:here.

that's what I was looking at. it looks like the only games that wouldn't work are ones I wouldn't care about anyway. mostly.

but the wiikey requires no iso patching for region compatibility, correct? i'm no stranger to doing that from using a modchipped Saturn, but why bother if there's hardware that'll take care of it ..

aslacker55

I like pie
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
that's what I was looking at. it looks like the only games that wouldn't work are ones I wouldn't care about anyway. mostly.

but the wiikey requires no iso patching for region compatibility, correct? i'm no stranger to doing that from using a modchipped Saturn, but why bother if there's hardware that'll take care of it ..

You can turn off the region lock with the wiikey setup disk or you can patch the wii isos with regionfrii (it takes only seconds to patch it).

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I'd be using a lot of commercial games, I guess the region off switch in the wiikey setup disk will be my best friend.

well, that settles it then.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Like someone said above, any of the top end modchips, including OpenWii, WiiFree and YAOSM will do on the fly region patching just as well as WiiKey.

In fact, I think that Wiinja V1 and V2, and CycloWiz V1 are the only chips that DON'T do region patching.

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Since I'd be using a lot of commercial games, I guess the region off switch in the wiikey setup disk will be my best friend.

well, that settles it then.

You would want the region settings to ON. Since you want to play US games on your JPN Wii.

Edit: You only need to set it to ON once. Cause the next time you use the setup disk for whatever reason, the screen will say OFF.

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Then start buying it. I never patch any JPN/PAL games I've DLed
  • Mario Strikers (PAL)
  • DBZ:BT2(JPN)
  • Bleach(JPN)