Is 'Wii Hifi' Nintendo's next big thing?

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by shaunj66, Jun 11, 2010.

Jun 11, 2010
  1. shaunj66
    OP

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    [​IMG] Is 'Wii Hifi' Nintendo's next big thing?
    Rumour
    [​IMG]
    Rumours are a-buzz on the internet with hints on Nintendo's next version of the Wii. No it's not the "Wii 2", it's supposedly called "Wii Hifi" and here's how the rumours began:

[​IMG] Source
    [​IMG] Discuss

2. Gore

Member Gore GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    hah! I hope so, and I hope it makes PS3 prices drop.
    not interested in owning it.

3. Maplemage

Member Maplemage ಠ_ಠ

Antarctica
    Awesome I hope it looks cooler then the original Wii, like more DS connectivity and a chat thingy instead of the sending mail all the time, and a better design of the wii.

4. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    I'm not really interested in this. Seems like more of a minor update to the Wii instead of a next-gen console.
    Perhaps, I'll be interested if I see more...(if it's real).

I do find it mildly annoying that this is being released (supposedly) in 2011 when I just got a Wii (late '09).

5. Thoob

Member Thoob LOLmonade.

United Kingdom

6. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    F-A-K-E.

7. chrisrlink

Member chrisrlink Rouge Temper

United States
    watch it be unhackable or as hard as the PS3 at least reason: •It will be very online-oriented this time

8. Auyx

Member Auyx GBAtemp's Unofficial Sanic impersonator

United Kingdom
    I call bull this may happen next E3 but I cant see Ninty doing this now the timeing is all wrong. Surely we would have herd some more substantiated clames before this ala the 3DS. Crappy website trolling for hits.

9. Yoster

Newcomer Yoster Newbie

United States
    sweet, but I hope this leak, if thats what it is, doesnt cause N to compromise the reveal.

10. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    Don't have an HDTV. Don't care.

11. TM2-Megatron

Member TM2-Megatron Predacon Commander

Canada
    It would be a stupid move for Nintendo to release this as a redesign as opposed to an entirely new generation. If it's on the level with the 360 or greater, then it's an entire generation seperated from the Wii, and it should be considered as such.

If not, then it would create a 2-tier range of games within the same generation... Nintendo wasn't stupid enough to release very many (in fact, only 2) DSi-exclusive cartridges, because they recognized that the sheer number of existing DS Phats and Lites in the market would cause those customers to be alienated if a ton of supposed "DS" games started coming out that wouldn't work with their system. The same would happen with the Wii, as it also has a massive installed userbase... these people have little interest in an HD version of the console, mostly because Nintendo worked so hard to appeal to the "casual" gamers that don't care as much if their console matches the resolution of their TV.

If they were to really release something like this, it would just be a silly attempt by Nintendo of trying to have it both ways. They can't do it.

12. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Addict

The way I heard it was that the Wii HD was just going to be a regular Wii with a built in upscale and possibly a modified system menu to support changing the upscaling options. In other words, fully compatible except for system menu hacks and the system menu IOS (both of which would be fixed quickly).

13. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    They should of called it the HiiFii

14. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    they should call it the Revolution X and release Revolution X HD and Revolution X 2

15. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Sounds nice.

I like the aspect of higher quality graphics and such, but what about the games? Will there be another SSB on this thing?

16. Sonicslasher

Member Sonicslasher In Law we trust.

United States
    The Nintendo "Hee-Fee"? Doesn't quite sound right [​IMG]

17. DEagleson

Member DEagleson Gamer Extraordinaire

Norway
    More like Nintendo's next generation cash cow. [​IMG]

They could just do a refresh of the Wii software with improved menus, online accounts (Like Xbox Live or PSN) and support for USB pens to use as storage just like they have with the SD menu.
    Just one sad thing about this would be the possibility of zero homebrew support.

18. highanimalhouse

Member highanimalhouse GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If this is possible or even likely, I don't see Nintendo doing it in 2011. 2012 or 2013 maybe....but not anytime soon.

Plus, there are still games that Nintendo said would see release or rumors of release for the rest of this year and for 2011. Metroid Other M, Zelda Wii sequel, Xenoblade in the US, Wii Party, Pikimin 3 possibly at E3, remakes of old NES/SNES/N64 games on the system, Gamecube games with New Play Control (like Geist, Super Mario Sunshine, etc.), maybe a new F-Zero/Starfox/Kirby/PilotWings, and anything else I haven't thought of.

Even if Nintendo releases/develops this as a system or system add-on (which I'm inclined to think of it as) they are doing this to combat homebrew/piracy. Basically, Nintendo is seeing what Microsoft and Sony does with their networks and is trying to copy it.

I think it's going to be a peripheral or update disk at first. That's all. Then when the new Wii finally comes out, it'll have those features already built in.

EDIT: I can think of only one game that would guarantee a system seller with this: Super Smash Bros. Brawl 2.

19. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

Xbox 360 level does not cut it for 2011. If this is indeed true, I was hoping Nintendo would do something to raise the hardware bar, as they are rumored to be doing with the 3DS.

But again, these are all rumors. [​IMG]

20. TM2-Megatron

Member TM2-Megatron Predacon Commander

Canada
    Releasing that kind of fakeHD thing and branding it as something "new" or worthy of note would be just as bad, though. Upscaling will only get you so far, anyway, and isn't a substitute for real HD. If Nintendo wanted HD gaming, they should've built it into the Wii. Now that it's all over and done, they'd be better off waiting until their next generation console to go HD. The Wii has component output... if Nintendo wants an official upscaling deal, they should just sell a peripheral that you connect between your Wii and HDTV that upscales the signal.