Hacking Is Wii capable of dual layer DVD?

ridgecity

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Is not a hardware option. It's how the DVDs are made. I don't how dual layers dvd make the hardware work any different. The Ps2 had a couple dual layer games and nothing happened.

WarmWoollySheep

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Too bad for developers
frown.gif

Dinzy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too bad for developers
frown.gif

Why it's not like they need to put high res textures on the disk. The only limitation comes in prerendered stuff. The Wii is not the 360 and even Oblivion fits on one single layer DVD (4.35GB on my PC's HDD). So what's the beg problem.

Also who is to say that the mod chips would not support dual layered games? The Wiinja and Cyclo both require the correct bitsetting which leads one to believe that you could burn dual layers in such a way that the chip could handle it. Also I would consider the Wiikey a 1st gen chip and I am sure it could be updated to read dualies.

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
For something to read the second layer of a DL disc, it adjusts the focus of the laser so it shines through the first (semi-transparent) layer.

If the Wii can do this, it can read DL discs
smile.gif

Mostly it's a software/firmware thing I would think.

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
The reason the PS2 could read dual-layer discs was because it had to play DVD movies which often come on dual-layers. Wii doesn't play DVD movies, so it's possible Nintendo made the drive single-layer only to save a bit of money. It would be a shame if this was the case, of course.

niklasnyfiken

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Since Nintendo plans to release a new Wii with DVD playback, it would seem that the current Wii's DVD drive can't read dual layer discs or they could just release a DVD channel instead.

mr_blonde_88

Torture You? That's A Good Idea. I Like That
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
Since Nintendo plans to release a new Wii with DVD playback, it would seem that the current Wii's DVD drive can't read dual layer discs or they could just release a DVD channel instead.

high hopes to think it'll come out anywhere but Japan, just like the Panasonic GameCube

This is what Nintendo says in the leaked SDK:

QUOTE said:
The total data storage capacity of an optical disc is 4,699,979,776 bytes.

ie. single layer DVD disc.

Yeah, single layer, the total storage capacity of a DL optical disc is twice that
Nintendo just stated a well known fact about DVDs, they didn't say if the Wii only excepts SL optical disc

niklasnyfiken

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Yeah, single layer, the total storage capacity of a DL optical disc is twice that
Nintendo just stated a well known fact about DVDs, they didn't say if the Wii only excepts SL optical disc

If Wii could support DL discs, they would've written that in the SDK. If a game requires 8GB of data, then it will have to be a 2-disc game.

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
well, i'm kinda new to burning DVD's... but is it possible for someone to burn an ISO onto the second layer to see if the wii will play it? or does it fill the first layer up first?

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
so it worked, SkH? i'm still doing research on modchips before i buy the dvd rw, so i dont have a dvd-burner to test with...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16