Not open for further replies.

Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I usually watch a lot of videos, usually in different formats ranging from .avi to .mp4. People usually suggest VLC player for such a thing, though I've also seen people say it's pretty crappy. I've had mixed results with it. I was wondering if there was anything any better then VLC player, or is it really that good?

Quietlyawesome94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally recommend Plex Media Player just because of all the eye candy. You tell it where your media is and it downloads all the meta data by it's self. Including covers, descriptions, IMDB ratings and more. It plays videos well too.

As for VLC Player, that's what I previously used. It gets the job done. ;)

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I never heard anyone complain about VLC before and I have been using VLC for years now on several operating systems.
Thus far it has played every format I have thrown at it and played them perfectly as well I have had very little problems with it, the most problems I have had weren't VLC related, they were computer related.

Reactions: 2 people

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Most people will advise installing a decent codec pack. I believe the two best are K-Lite and CCC. But only install one or other, not both. Both would cause conflicts.

Once you install a decent codec pack, most media players should be able to play most files. K-Lite comes with Media Player Classic I think, which is an attempt to recreate an older version of Windows Media Player, before it became so bloated etc. After K-Lite is installed, MPC should play virtually every file you throw at it.

VLC is less hassle, as you don't need to mess with codecs - it has them all built right in. I haven't come across a media file it couldn't play (except those with DRM). Some people say it has poor versions of codecs though, and can struggle with certain content. I have personally never had issues.

The other player I use sometimes is Zoom Player. I have the Pro version, but the free one is almost the same, minus DRM support. It has a tool with it for downloading and updating missing/outdated codecs, to ensure you can play pretty much anything. Slightly nicer UI than VLC.

Haven't tried Plex, but I might have to look into that one. XBMC is pretty nice in terms of eye candy media players.

Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most people will advise installing a decent codec pack. I believe the two best are K-Lite and CCC. But only install one or other, not both. Both would cause conflicts.

Once you install a decent codec pack, most media players should be able to play most files. K-Lite comes with Media Player Classic I think, which is an attempt to recreate an older version of Windows Media Player, before it became so bloated etc. After K-Lite is installed, MPC should play virtually every file you throw at it.

VLC is less hassle, as you don't need to mess with codecs - it has them all built right in. I haven't come across a media file it couldn't play (except those with DRM). Some people say it has poor versions of codecs though, and can struggle with certain content. I have personally never had issues.

The other player I use sometimes is Zoom Player. I have the Pro version, but the free one is almost the same, minus DRM support. It has a tool with it for downloading and updating missing/outdated codecs, to ensure you can play pretty much anything. Slightly nicer UI than VLC.

Haven't tried Plex, but I might have to look into that one. XBMC is pretty nice in terms of eye candy media players.

Well, mostly my issues come from the video picture screwing up if I skip to a different part, or sometimes the picture just messes up all on itself.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, mostly my issues come from the video picture screwing up if I skip to a different part, or sometimes the picture just messes up all on itself.
So you have problems with it, but posted a topic to ask if it's good? That seems illogical to me. Anyhow, I'd recommend trying some of the suggestions in this thread, such as install K-Lite.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
TzWEP.jpg

PRO SOFTWARE
A+++++++++++

VLC is for the ignorant.

Reactions: 3 people

Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you have problems with it, but posted a topic to ask if it's good? That seems illogical to me. Anyhow, I'd recommend trying some of the suggestions in this thread, such as install K-Lite.

Well, it doesn't happen all the time, only a couple of times so it doesn't really bother me all that much, it could probably be the video that's the problem :P, I just wanted to know if it really as good as people say it is and wondered if there was any good alts incase any other problems come up or current problems keep appearing.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
VLC has never given me a problem. I've been using it for years. Before that I was using Media Player Classic with the K-Lite codec, and then I found MPC to start become too heavy to use. I tried VLC and found that it uses less resources and it played everything I threw at it.

Honestly, the only people who have trouble with VLC are the ones who don't know what they're doing. The program has never caused me trouble at all.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use it because it's a simple answer to most codec needs (really, on an old system I had such a bland time putting together codecs manually--not fun).

Kinda feels outdated though...

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
*snip*

PRO SOFTWARE
A+++++++++++

VLC is for the ignorant.
Yep, that definitely looks like a video I am likely to highly enjoy if it played normally. Oh wait. No, it doesn't. I have never come across a video that I wanted to watch that hasn't worked flawlessly in VLC.

But having just installed XBMC again (never got round to installing it again after getting a new laptop), I can strongly recommend it's use as a media player/centre.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't recall having any issues with it but I'm more likely to use the media player built into my TV these days.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Yep, that definitely looks like a video I am likely to highly enjoy if it played normally. Oh wait. No, it doesn't.
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
It's an example, I'm not telling you to watch it on a daily basis.

None of these VLC FuckUps(TM) would show up in other good players, which is why it's better to get something else then to keep using VLC and get these problems somewhere down the road.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't speak for the other programs people have mentioned, but I've found VLC to be worthy enough. It was such a nice step up from Windows Media Player.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Hey Prowler, mind taking a chunk of a video file VLC doesn't play and uploading it here for us to analyze? The only time I see VLC fail is when video files are corrupt or malformed. Many people uploading pirated materials don't know a codec from a container format and tend to make video files that don't fall within standards.

"Well other video players still play the files so it's okay." Yes, and IE still displays web pages that don't conform to standards, which is what has allowed people to keep coding shit sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.