Gaming Is Usenet any better than torrents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extreme Coder

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
So I've been using torrents, but lately I've been hearing a lot about Usenet. So I want to know how it compares to Torrents, and if there's any guide for people like me(don't know a thing about it).

Thanks!

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The best torrent I have used got 450KB/s but that's a rare sight.
Usenet gets me 850KB/s constant, when my ISP isn't restricting traffic.

But you are limited by what has been uploaded within the past upto 200 days (depending on the provider).
This can be an advantage if a torrent has been removed or isn't seeded, since usenet is server based files rarely vanish before your providers retention is up.

Usenet also has no error correction and you depend on PAR2 files for error checking and correction.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Usenet

Pros:
-Much Faster than Torrents
-Much smaller chance to get caught

Cons:
-Costs a little
-Sometimes downloads get corrupted and you have to download PAR files as well

You should read Slyck's Guide for more info http://www.slyck.com/ng.php

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
if you have the cash get usenet, trust me you will never see torrents the same way again lol

legendofphil said:
when my ISP isn't restricting traffic.

i hate when my ISP does that, they reduce my download speed to 100KB/s i ain't kidding either, sometimes it's lower
frown.gif

Extreme Coder

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
Well, the reason I am getting interested in this Usenet stuff in the first place is that before, I used to get DL speeds from 80-100 KBPS (maximum I could get on HTTP too), but lately, I could only get 10 :/ And it isn't a NAT, seeding, bad torrent, bad settings problem
frown.gif

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Do it, I've been using Usenet since I was on dial up.
There are NZB search engines (both paid and free) that help finding things.

ISP throttling does effect download speeds though.

cruddybuddy

Group: Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
varpness.com
XP
Country
United States
I use torrents for general videos like episodes of my favorite shows. Since I don't mind being a few days behind watching tv shows, torrents work fine. If a show is less than a couple weeks old then usually they download within an hour. Older shows take more time, but it's no big deal. I just leave Azureus running.

Now for bigger stuff, like a Wii release, I use usenetserver.com instead. For $3 I get 3 days of unlimited downloads. This is pleanty of time to get that big release I was wanting, fast, and time left over to catch up on other stuff I haven't had time to get.

So in summary, torrents are good for smaller files (less than 1 GB), especially if it's very popular (the more people downloading the faster you'll get it yourself), but usenet speed is superior, and is much better if you want to get a really big file, fast.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
legendofphil said:
Do it, I've been using Usenet since I was on dial up.
There are NZB search engines (both paid and free) that help finding things.

ISP throttling does effect download speeds though.

such as http://www.newzleech.com/ which is what i use, it's completly free, you shouldn't have to pay to search for what you want, and yes throttling sucks although it's still faster that torrents even with my ISP throttling me.

Alerek

Trophies
Website
alerek.cjb.net
XP
Country
United States
I've been curious about usenet as well.. We just upgraded ISP's over the past 6 months, and I'm itiching to get my money's worth out of my 9.5m/s dl speed somewhere other than a speed test.
Would purchasing an account/time/whatever with a usenet provider let me capitalize on that?

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah, at times when your ISP traffic is low and/or not throttling as much, depending on your connection type.
I usually max out my connection when using usenet, its rare outside of that.

Hit

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Extreme Coder said:
So I've been using torrents, but lately I've been hearing a lot about Usenet. So I want to know how it compares to Torrents, and if there's any guide for people like me(don't know a thing about it).

Thanks!
LOL at that questions
Of course it is, you can download full speed all time with usenet

To me:
Torrents = max 100KB/s
Usenet = always fullspeed(2.5Mbyte/s)

Also:
Torrents = Illegal
Usenet = Legal + You can hide your downloading content with a SSL connection nobody can see what you download except your self

By the way I use Hitnews.eu it's really good

shootme

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Hit said:
Extreme Coder said:

Thanks!
LOL at that questions

To me:
Torrents = max 100KB/s

Also:
Torrents = Illegal
Usenet = Legal + You can hide your downloading content with a SSL connection nobody can see what you download except your self

what the hell, when did torrents get illegal? of course it is illegal to download copyrighted stuff that the copyrightholder doesnt want to be shared (seeing as there are legal copyrighted conted on torrents, like for example WoW-patches). but if its, say, full games, it's illegal no mather wher you download it.

Also, if you use a good private tracker for torrents you wont get any better download speeds using usenet.

Hit

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
shootme said:
Hit said:
Extreme Coder said:

Thanks!
LOL at that questions

To me:
Torrents = max 100KB/s

Also:
Torrents = Illegal

what the hell, when did torrents get illegal? of course it is illegal to download copyrighted stuff that the copyrightholder doesnt want to be shared (seeing as there are legal copyrighted conted on torrents, like for example WoW-patches). but if its, say, full games, it's illegal no mather wher you download it.

Also, if you use a good private tracker for torrents you wont get any better download speeds using usenet.
With torrents you constantly Upload with Usenet you only download
In the netherlands at least:
Downloading is Legal, Uploading copyright protected content is Illegal

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hit said:
shootme said:
Hit said:
Extreme Coder said:

Thanks!
LOL at that questions

To me:
Torrents = max 100KB/s

Also:
Torrents = Illegal

Yeah but it's not illegal to use torrents when downloading stuff that's not copyright protected.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Hit said:
shootme said:
Hit said:
Extreme Coder said:

Thanks!
LOL at that questions

To me:
Torrents = max 100KB/s

Also:
Torrents = Illegal

Downloading copyrighted content is illegal no matter how you do it. Even if there is no copyright law in the Netherlands, I believe even your country has signed UN treaties on international copyright.

You are going to have to back up your claims with a legal source because piracy is piracy.

Hit

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Heran Bago said:
Hit said:
shootme said:
Hit said:
Extreme Coder said:

Thanks!
LOL at that questions

To me:
Torrents = max 100KB/s

Also:
Torrents = Illegal

Downloading copyrighted content is illegal no matter how you do it. Even if there is no copyright law in the Netherlands, I believe even your country has signed UN treaties on international copyright.

You are going to have to back up your claims with a legal source because piracy is piracy.
Às far as I know we can legally download copyright content, But you can't upload copyright content Therefor Torrents Kazaa and these apps are illegal and Usenet is legal here

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Usenet:
-you will always get top speed.
-You won't be uploading back or be required to.
-You will not be compromising your IP address with open ports to multiple people.
-You will not have to worry about seeders dropping off.

Torrents:
-free (but most likely frustrating)

shootme

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Hit said:
Às far as I know we can legally download copyright content, But you can't upload copyright content Therefor Torrents Kazaa and these apps are illegal and Usenet is legal here

you know that you can turn of uploading in torrent applications? and its not the torrents that are illegal, its the stuff you download/upload through torrent that are illegal.

anyway. back to the topic. I have personaly ever tried usenet, but i see no reason to do so either. As I said if you get in to a good private torrent tracker there is no need to pay to get usenet when you get the same speed. but if you only use public trackers you will most likely get shitty speed and then usenet is a good alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.