Is Updating to fw 6.0 using choidujour a banrisk?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Panic.exe, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Panic.exe
    OP

Panic.exe GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2015
    United States
    Sorry if this has been answered before, but couldn't find an answer anywhere. Is updating to fw 6.0 using choidujour detectable/risky?
    From what I understand anything homebrew related can be detected by Nintendo. Do I have that right? Like, I'd imagine they can check for fuses burned against the fw installed and issue a ban for a mismatch? Just wondering as I want to use this system for online and buy a second for homebrew purposes but also wouldn't mind keeping the option to downgrade if possible.

2. BlastedGuy9905

BlastedGuy9905 where's the updated autopsy report

Apr 13, 2017
    United States
    under your desk
    Don't waste your time asking here. You'll get only ban risk exaggerating and people who couldn't care less if they got banned. Ask on the jjSwitched Discord Server instead.

Panic.exe and Itzumi like this.
  3. crissal

crissal GBAtemp Regular

Dec 3, 2017
    Italy
    Going online is risky, from 1.0.0 to 6.0.0.
    Nintendo is capable of detecting many things, discovered or not by the community, so the best way to "go online" is through a DNS server like 90DNS, or to stay in airplane mode. Accessing eShop, updating from system settings, play online with backups and/or legit games in a cfw leads to a ban.

Panic.exe likes this.
  4. Panic.exe
    OP

Panic.exe GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2015
    United States
    Mind pointing me to said discord? Thanks!

5. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Just recently I received 2 new ban reports from people who were banned despite not using any .NSP, .XCI, or LayeredFS. While I am working to gather more details on what they did that may have also contributed to a ban, firmware 6.0 seems to have introduced a lot more telemetry that has led to the start of a new banwave. I would say that updating with ChoiDujourNX to firmware 6.0 is definitely not safe.

Panic.exe likes this.
  6. Puppydogpals

Puppydogpals GBAtemp Regular

Feb 19, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I was on 5.1.0 using SX since release date only using xci. Updating games (inc xci) on official only.

No online at all using sx.

As soon as updated to 6.0.0 using the official way. Upon reboot I was super banned. No online no shop no updates.

Not that I'm bothered can use nsp now. Was hanging back from using them until banned

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

7. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Do you have a minute and mind filling out this ban report form (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1nCOsO8tl077x-FubDOENnCmCUnGpDSDJktGR_XKWEUY)?

8. CYBZERO

CYBZERO GBAtemp Regular

Mar 11, 2011
    France
    France
    Updating xci or nsp is probably what make you banned.

9. magico29

magico29 GBAtemp Maniac

GBAtemp Patron
    magico29 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 2, 2017
    United States
    Who told you to update using official way!! You screw yourself snd i an really sorry, i updated to 6.0.0 leaked version via choidujour offline and got not problems!!

10. Puppydogpals

Feb 19, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Do you ever go online using ofw is so I am guessing you will be marked for ban as they will record that you are running a version not released (released version is different build from version leaked a few weeks back)

Updating did not cause my ban. It was probably inevitable at some point. I was probably marked for a ban ages ago.

Updating initiated my ban not caused it....

11. opmas

opmas GBAtemp Regular

Jan 9, 2016
    In short... there is no such thing as safe when you hack your console :)

12. bundat

bundat ¿

Jul 25, 2018
    Antarctica
    I was thinking updating (back when 5.1.0 was the latest) using ChoiDujourNX was semi-safe because while you never asked N's servers for the 5.1.0 update, it's possible you may have gotten the 5.1.0 update offline from a cartridge that had it.

But right now, AFAIK there are no cartridges out yet with 6.0 FW, so it would be like a giant red flag (imo) to suddenly be on FW 6.0 without your Switch ever asking N's servers for the update officially... because where else could your Switch have gotten the 6.0 update?

Might be worth asking those who got banned when they updated to 6.0 how exactly did they update? (Although this would only be relevant until carts with 6.0 FW built-in come out)

Draxzelex likes this.
  13. magico29

magico29 GBAtemp Maniac

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Aug 2, 2017
    United States
    No sir
    I am not going online, there is not reason to do that.

14. Puppydogpals

Feb 19, 2018
    United Kingdom
    So at end of day it does not matter if you get banned or not. Chances are the second you go online you will be.

15. mcmanic

mcmanic Member

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2007
    updated from 5.01 to official 6.00fw . Used SXOS to boot RajNX upon which i used ChoiDujourNX to install the 6.00fw. Play .xci and .nsp offline and update .xci online in offical normal firmware, i also choose to burn the fuse setting as being ON, not banned yet from eshop, am expecting it but it hasn't happened yet.

Last edited by mcmanic, Sep 22, 2018
  16. magico29

magico29 GBAtemp Maniac

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Aug 2, 2017
    United States
    thats dont really bother me if i get banned,
    people are worry about that and thats not my case sir.