Hacking Question Is unban at least possible somehow?

nachuz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
(eShop/Online ban) Is it possible, I'm not talking about is taking too long, I would say is normal, it took like 1 or 2 years on Wii U(in that case, bans were less common), I'm talking if it's even possible.
Does the ban take any credential from the Switch itself and not from the Nand? Would an unban be possible with emunand? Does the online use a cert too? (Noob question)
Or is just impossible and will never happen?

(Super Ban) Same questions as above, but also, would cert change be possible via emunand or/and a CFW?

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Each cert is specific to each console. Meaning that using a cert other than your own specific to your system would instantly brick your console

nachuz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Most people say it's not possible to unban, however the 3DS had a public file that you could use that would unban you. It was from an unbanned 3DS.
I think you could do the same thing with a Switch cert. Still wouldn't be very good...
I mean, at least it would work for a few hours until Nintendo ban it and another user uploads another?
Like we do with CDNSP certs

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Most people say it's not possible to unban, however the 3DS had a public file that you could use that would unban you. It was from an unbanned 3DS.
I think you could do the same thing with a Switch cert. Still wouldn't be very good...

Pretty sure it would not. It's been proven that a Switch that uses a cert that's not it's own is instantly bricked, which wasn't the case for the 3ds

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the Switch's cert is literally burned into the console so replacing it is virtually impossible. Modifying it much like the 3DS is also highly unlikely as Nintendo makes these themselves so they would need to be cracked first. Something that we could try is redirect internet services towards a cert placed on the SD card for example instead of the one in the console which would simulate an unbanned console.

Creatable

Trophies
Website
hentaihaven.net
XP
Country
United States
I think the Switch's cert is literally burned into the console so replacing it is virtually impossible. Modifying it much like the 3DS is also highly unlikely as Nintendo makes these themselves so they would need to be cracked first. Something that we could try is redirect internet services towards a cert placed on the SD card for example instead of the one in the console which would simulate an unbanned console.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Using cfw to redirect where it gets it's cert from would definitely work.

mariogamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Even cracking wouldn't be enough, since they keep a copy of it in their servers (with all the security to make sure the console that sends a request is the one which has the cert)

Last edited by mariogamer,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Possible.
If simple injection of relevant details from another device does not cut it then I can see a custom firmware redirecting to a file on SD happily enough. Said file will have to come from another Switch though as Nintendo has stopped smoking crack for long enough to realise that storing such things on their servers is how even the vaguely sane do computer security. There might be a reasonable source of them out there in the form of bricked machines you can bring back for long enough to dump them, and in some cases you might be able to clone the cert of another if you have another switch/friend with a switch.

People are looking to emunand mostly because it would allow them to maintain a clean NAND somewhere in it and use that, as well as possibly remove identifying marks from the Switch in one of the modes and thus prevent a ban (though obviously that mode won't work with official online). Neither of those help if you are already banned and don't have certificate injection/redirection.

Status right now.
Not sure about emunand. For the other stuff nobody is properly working towards it that I can see (it is only Nintendo's online and so there are far bigger fish to fry), and at the same time nobody is seemingly doing much in the way of removing ban detection methods which I would also expect to have in place if they are going to do unbanning properly (technically you could do some kind of restore to stock).

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'd say impossible. Do take into account all the data they can get without it being personal:
ALL THE CONSOLE INFO!

In all honesty, I highly doubt it's a certificate that flags the console for banishment. It has to be some kind of hash check + machine serial that ultimately makes it happen. As long as the system detects the machine serial in the blacklist, it's out.

By the end of the day, as much as you want, if it's banned, it's banned.

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'd say impossible. Do take into account all the data they can get without it being personal:
ALL THE CONSOLE INFO!

In all honesty, I highly doubt it's a certificate that flags the console for banishment. It has to be some kind of hash check + machine serial that ultimately makes it happen. As long as the system detects the machine serial in the blacklist, it's out.

By the end of the day, as much as you want, if it's banned, it's banned.

No it's the certificate which is unique to each console, that's what nintendo flags and bans with a superban

Reactions: antiNT

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Its possible, but no public tools exist and its probably really hard to do. Possible is usually the wrong question to ask, technically almost anything is possible to hack including nintendos database.

Last edited by kevin corms,

eyeliner

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
No it's the certificate which is unique to each console, that's what nintendo flags and bans with a superban
Does anyone know what the certificate contains?
My apologies, but I must admit I am not familiar with the issue.

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Does anyone know what the certificate contains?
My apologies, but I must admit I am not familiar with the issue.

I don't know if anyone knows what it contains but we know that the cert is what Nintendo sees. Just so you know, those certs are also used in a PC app called CDNSP which allows you to directly access Nintendo's server and download anything on the E-Shop for free onto your PC. All Nintendo sees is the cert itself acting irregularly, regardless of who uses it. Also, for the record, Nintendo doesn't ban ACCOUNTS, they ban CONSOLES

eyeliner

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
@Ashura66

I know they ban consoles only, but the way the sistem is set up, they also ban accounts. I highly doubt it's the cert that serves as a gatekeeper. there's many other types of banishment possible, like through the MAC of the device (though you could spoof it), machine serial, etc.

The certificate being served is just a file created by the system containing information about the client that tells the host that the the remote client is reliable.
Failing, the host refuses the connection and saves the client info. At least, it's my reasoning of it. Unfortunately, I don't even know how to begin messing with the system, or I would study the subject further.

Ian095

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not ethically right but couldn't you just buy a new console then return your banned one? Suggesting it's not patched.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey