Hacking Is UMDGen extraction/reinsertion Method any different from any ISO software ?

omarrrio

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
Hi, i was wondering if anyone can help me understand, why UMDGen is better handeling psp isos than a normal ISO tool that can be run on windows platform ?

set aside the super features like lba and blablabla, i am only talking about ISO extraction and Reinsertion.

Mort alttwo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well for me personally its super easy to use. Just insert files into the directory and save as Iso. I never really bothered with other iso programs because umd gen worked so well.

Reactions: omarrrio

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I guess he means on the file level, not on the way to use it.
Maybe there's specific checksums, encryption, file location or content stored on the ISO exclusively for PSP that other programs doesn't update?

Sorry, I don't know. It's just suppositions.

zero_g_monkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are just wanting to rip files from a game. I use MagicISO or just mount the iso file with a virtual drive sometimes to extract. So it really isn't any better for extraction just easier. But for reinsertion. I only use UMDGen do to the file allocation and CRC/LBA stuff associated with the games I am working on. There is also another good program called CDMage. Found out about it when reading up on Cless's TOP PSX translation. But unlike UMDGen, it overwrites files without the option for a backup. If you use it, make sure you have a copy of it backed up elsewhere. I have screwed many iso up till I realized this.

Simple answer:
Extraction - Use anything that can get your files
Insertion - Stick with UMDGen for the ability to specify file order due some games breaking if not set up just... right.

omarrrio

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
If you are just wanting to rip files from a game. I use MagicISO or just mount the iso file with a virtual drive sometimes to extract. So it really isn't any better for extraction just easier. But for reinsertion. I only use UMDGen do to the file allocation and CRC/LBA stuff associated with the games I am working on. There is also another good program called CDMage. Found out about it when reading up on Cless's TOP PSX translation. But unlike UMDGen, it overwrites files without the option for a backup. If you use it, make sure you have a copy of it backed up elsewhere. I have screwed many iso up till I realized this.

Simple answer:
Extraction - Use anything that can get your files
Insertion - Stick with UMDGen for the ability to specify file order due some games breaking if not set up just... right.
again thank you, but this is not my question, i only want to know if UMDGen does anything special when it comes to insertion/extraction of the ISO, something that a normal ISO tool won't do.

zero_g_monkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Other than ease of use and sticking to the CRC/LBA stuff. Probably not.

Is there a game in particular that is giving you trouble in UMDGen that is making you wonder? I know it crashes sometimes when inserting a bunch of files and forcing the file allocation.

omarrrio

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
Other than ease of use and sticking to the CRC/LBA stuff. Probably not.

Is there a game in particular that is giving you trouble in UMDGen that is making you wonder? I know it crashes sometimes when inserting a bunch of files and forcing the file allocation.
no no game at all, sadly UMDGen doesn't use a console based app, i would've loved to implement it within my patcher, but now i have to put instructions,etc...to ease the use of the patcher :/

thexyz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
You can build an .iso with mkisofs, here's how I did it

Code:
mkisofs -sort filelist.txt -iso-level 4 -xa -A "PSP GAME" -V "Toradora" -sysid "PSP GAME" -volset "Toradora" -p "" -publisher "" -o out.iso iso/

filelist.txt looked like that, I'm actually not sure if you need it
Code:
\UMD_DATA.BIN 35
\PSP_GAME\SYSDIR\EBOOT.BIN 34
\PSP_GAME\SYSDIR\UPDATE\PARAM.SFO 33
\PSP_GAME\SYSDIR\UPDATE\EBOOT.BIN 32
\PSP_GAME\SYSDIR\UPDATE\DATA.BIN 31
\PSP_GAME\SYSDIR\BOOT.BIN 30
\PSP_GAME\ICON0.PNG 29
\PSP_GAME\PIC1.PNG 28
\PSP_GAME\PARAM.SFO 27
\PSP_GAME\USRDIR\Toradora01.ptf 26
\PSP_GAME\USRDIR\Toradora02.ptf 25
\PSP_GAME\USRDIR\Toradora03.ptf 24
\PSP_GAME\USRDIR\Toradora04.ptf 23
\PSP_GAME\USRDIR\Toradora05.ptf 22
\PSP_GAME\USRDIR\Toradora06.ptf 21
\PSP_GAME\USRDIR\1flist.dir 20
\PSP_GAME\USRDIR\3flist.dir 19
\PSP_GAME\USRDIR\first.dat 18
\PSP_GAME\USRDIR\libfont.prx 17
\PSP_GAME\USRDIR\Toradora_prlg.pmf 16
\PSP_GAME\USRDIR\Toradora_OP.pmf 15
\PSP_GAME\USRDIR\prepa_mensmix.pmf 14
\PSP_GAME\USRDIR\PleaseFreeze_taiga.pmf 13
\PSP_GAME\USRDIR\voice.afs 12
\PSP_GAME\USRDIR\se.afs 11
\PSP_GAME\USRDIR\bgm.afs 10
\PSP_GAME\USRDIR\resource.dat 9
\PSP_GAME\USRDIR\bgm2.afs 8
\PSP_GAME\USRDIR\complete_all.pmf 7
\PSP_GAME\USRDIR\complete_ami.pmf 6
\PSP_GAME\USRDIR\complete_minori.pmf 5
\PSP_GAME\USRDIR\complete_taiga.pmf 4
\PSP_GAME\USRDIR\PleaseFreeze_all.pmf 3
\PSP_GAME\USRDIR\PleaseFreeze_ami.pmf 2
\PSP_GAME\USRDIR\PleaseFreeze_minori.pmf 1

The final version was done with UMDGen anyway because I have no idea whether mkisofs is capable of forcing LBA positions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on