Homebrew Is titledb discontinued for real?

DeadPhoenix8091

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
However, this seems all too familiar like you and paul splitting the freeShop forks. While I hope that no ill will forms between DeadPhoenix8091 and Multimegamander as they veil for succession of the void left behind by TitleDB, it would be rude to support one over the other while outright rejecting or knocking down the one you don't favor. That kind of talk is what forms animosity or unappreciation to those who try to dev. I think you out of all people would know this better than anyone what that leads to.

I'd just like to address this specific part directly. When I argue against haxx.guide I do it because it has a big architectural issue, not because I have anything against Multimegamander.

haxx.guide is a titledb replacement that stands solely on Multimegamanders shoulders. If he ever decides to go on a vacation or do whatever, the project is paused. He needs to update everything himself - as seen by PKSM already being outdated because he didnt upload the new version yet.

Keep in mind that the difference between tinydb and haxx.guide is not just the frontend gui, its the entire concept.
Yes, he has been out with it a few days earlier. But only because I was working in private on a whole lot of automation code to make sure tinydb never has outdated homebrew.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd just like to address this specific part directly. When I argue against haxx.guide I do it because it has a big architectural issue, not because I have anything against Multimegamander.

haxx.guide is a titledb replacement that stands solely on Multimegamanders shoulders. If he ever decides to go on a vacation or do whatever, the project is paused. He needs to update everything himself - as seen by PKSM already being outdated because he didnt upload the new version yet.

Keep in mind that the difference between tinydb and haxx.guide is not just the frontend gui, its the entire concept.
Yes, he has been out with it a few days earlier. But only because I was working in private on a whole lot of automation code to make sure tinydb never has outdated homebrew.
Well, I know how this is going to end.

@Multimegamander, it would be wise to rework haxx.guide from grounds up following suit like TinyDB's framework. If it requires pulling your website or putting it on hiatus while temporarily conceding the contested space to DeadPheonix8091, you should definitely do so. Manually updating the listed titles on top of poor gatekeeping were the cause of death for TitleDB. Those design shortcomings should not be repeated.

Another option you can do is make a fork borrowing TinyDB's source code and importing back your GUI. Your strong point is designing around user friendliness.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Manually updating the listed titles on top of poor gatekeeping were the cause of death for TitleDB. Those design shortcomings should not be repeated.
TitleDBs flaw was having zero moderation. Not manual updating. It's the ultimate lazymans tool.

TinyDB fixes this flaw by only having additions to TinyDB moderated (and Dead Phoenix isn't the only one that can approve additions if I'm not mistaken.)

haxx.guide is a static site with a static reimplementation of TitleDBs API. This means nothing gets updated unless Megamander manually updates the links.

I'd also note that Flagbrew has asked for their application not to be included on haxx.guide yet Megamander has refused to honor this request, meaning some applications are on that site without the developers' consent.

However, this seems all too familiar like you and paul splitting the freeShop forks. While I hope that no ill will forms between DeadPhoenix8091 and Multimegamander as they veil for succession of the void left behind by TitleDB, it would be rude to support one over the other while outright rejecting or knocking down the one you don't favor.
That situation was caused by several circumstances, none of which are remotely close to this.

I don't care much if Megamander isn't "established" (in fact, I'd argue his already existing infamy and behavior on various homebrew projects makes him to be considered "established to fail"). The matter of fact is though that one is an actual application that does a lot of stuff automated and fixes the flaws TitleDB had, while the other is just a bunch of static HTML slapped together that adds new problems to those TitleDB had.

Reactions: MRTMW
D

Deleted User

TitleDBs flaw was having zero moderation. Not manual updating. It's the ultimate lazymans tool.

TinyDB fixes this flaw by only having additions to TinyDB moderated (and Dead Phoenix isn't the only one that can approve additions if I'm not mistaken.)

haxx.guide is a static site with a static reimplementation of TitleDBs API. This means nothing gets updated unless Megamander manually updates the links.

I'd also note that Flagbrew has asked for their application not to be included on haxx.guide yet Megamander has refused to honor this request, meaning some applications are on that site without the developers' consent.

That situation was caused by several circumstances, none of which are remotely close to this.

I don't care much if Megamander isn't "established" (in fact, I'd argue his already existing infamy and behavior on various homebrew projects makes him to be considered "established to fail"). The matter of fact is though that one is an actual application that does a lot of stuff automated and fixes the flaws TitleDB had, while the other is just a bunch of static HTML slapped together that adds new problems to those TitleDB had.
I did take down every flagbrew app, but then read through the M.I.T license, and with that flagbrew folder I can host it :/

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes, his website has major flaws. If he intends to continue working on his, then he definitely needs to rework and fix those issues.

Let's ask if he at least fixed this:
@Multimegamander, does your haxx.guide has title approval that has to go through you first before it's listed on your page?

Okay, I'm just making sure this isn't a repeat of something like that. Promote good sportsmanship and let the best man wins kind of thing.

I have to agree with you on this front, Ev1l0rd. MM, you gotta work on your PR and self image. You're a relatively new member so there's still time to turn around how people view you. Keep your chin up and nose clean. I think it's best if you work on your project quietly and post updates of how you're making your site better. Avoid making disparaging remarks against others (ie, stay out of trouble) and posting silly links out of context (like that twin eating watermelon video). Help out people here on GBAtemp and at discordapp as best you can on their issues outside of anything TitleDB & haxx.guide related. This way, people will take you seriously and competent; learn as you go with whatever it is you're doing/helping on. While someone will always remember the several unsettling things you've written before, people can see you in a different light with enough positive posts. (Yes, this peptalk sounds very cheesy as fuck, but it's true).

A. GPL not MIT
B. You can, that doesn't make it a dick move when the lead developer has specifically asked you to not include it.
Why is Megamander singled out in not having their express permission to host their apps on his website? Is what he's currently doing serious enough to truly earn their scorn and ire? Isn't consent to host them already permitted in those licenses, or did he abuse the licenses by rehosting their apps? If he instead redirected to their release pages, then would that make it okay with them, right?

What makes this any different than lets say someone like me with this CFW starter kit found here? If there isn't any difference, am I also subjected to the same criticisms as him despite that kit's intended purpose of helping others with their various 3DS issues and promoting key homebrew apps that may have been otherwise missed by those users? Would I be in the bad grace of devs like you and Mr. Giordano for sharing a collection of homebrew apps in such an informal way?

I'd like to think their request was more in line as a suggestion of how to improve his website. While I could understand where Flagbrew team is coming from if they expect a certain level of quality showcasing their works, this appears to go against the very ideas of open source if the request was done more in line as a demand.

@Multimegamander, you will need to contend with being playing nice with the homebrew community and devs if you wish to gain their support and for haxx.guide to flourish. This is something that goes beyond licenses and ties back to the first part of the post about building reputation.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why is Megamander singled out in not having their express permission to host their apps on his website? Is what he's currently doing serious enough to truly earn their scorn and ire? Isn't consent to host them already permitted in those licenses, or did he abuse the licenses by rehosting their apps? If he instead redirected to their release pages, then would that make it okay with them, right?
Flagbrew devs have expressed in the past and are consistent in that they don't like people rehosting their content as it invariably leads to users using outdated versions of their software.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's awful. I used TitleDB on FBI all the time to download all sorts of useless crap (:
A replacement would be awesome, especially one that could be used from the 3ds so I don't have to scour the Internet for 15 small applications lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, to answer your question, they're a fusion Brit-pop/J-pop/electronic band with a woman...