Homebrew Is titledb discontinued for real?

Deleted member 457158

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
omg so thats why. ive been trying to access the titledb so many times. many people would add links to cias that were free games like one was farming simulator 18 and captain toad n other games. its sad to see this go :/

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Attachments

• titleDB list (updated).zip
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,766
Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: KyoIsHacking

Virtual-Wii-noob

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ksanislo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The long and short of the matter was that since the GitHub switchover to TLS1.2 everything has been proxied from my own bandwidth and not just redirected offsite. With the surge in people uploading commercial games faster than I can keep up with de-listing them it put the site in a very precarious legal position. And I don't really feel like betting on wether or not the law would consider proxying in this manner to be allowed.

With the added cost plus the massive legal risk, I just can't justify keeping things running.

If anybody wants to continue the project, the source code is on GitHub at https://github.com/ksanislo/titledb

I can provide a final state mysqldump of the database if anybody wants it as well.

Impossible_Igntiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fair enough its just the first time i ever heard of such a thing . . . and it sounds totally possible i just assumed if it was taken down because of piracy there would be some kind of dcma notice in its place or at least a thread wherein the whistle blower was either forewarning or gloating or . . . or like something that should have made gbatemp news
There actually was a bunch of Gameboy Advance VC injects that made it to the service before like Grand Theft Auto Advance and Super Mario Advance 1-4 for example was on there.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would delete, if there was a way without being a mod. Bottom line is that updates from Nintendo in 11.8 (and on server side, so downgrading your 3DS won't help), broke freeshop, CIAngel, and the like... titledb went down with it. Dunno for sure if it just quit working because of the update or if it was some sort of DMCA thing (which would make sense with both roms and illegal hacks of roms being uploaded...)

And before anyone tries to get smart, yes, rom hacks are illegal because they still contain copyrighted code.

Last edited by urherenow,

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Would delete, if there was a way without being a mod. Bottom line is that updates from Nintendo in 11.8 (and on server side, so downgrading your 3DS won't help), broke freeshop, CIAngel, and the like... titledb went down with it. Dunno for sure if it just quit working because of the update or if it was some sort of DMCA thing (which would make sense with both roms and illegal hacks of roms being uploaded...)

And before anyone tries to get smart, yes, rom hacks are illegal because they still contain copyrighted code.
Nope the 11.8 update has nothing to do with titledb been taken down as even after 11.9 came out you could still connect to the titledb site using fbi.

The guy that ran titledb posted a few pages back on this very thread to say he shut the site down due to the frequency of illegal content been added to the site by other people in its last few weeks.

Deleted member 433093

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, that's pretty sad to hear. But I can see why he has made this decision. If someone was to remake TitleDB, maybe make it so a piece of homebrew has to *first* be confirmed by a moderator then it will be listed. Anyway, lets get an F in the chat.

DeadPhoenix8091

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, that's pretty sad to hear. But I can see why he has made this decision. If someone was to remake TitleDB, maybe make it so a piece of homebrew has to *first* be confirmed by a moderator then it will be listed. Anyway, lets get an F in the chat.

Already done :), at the moment we are just waiting for steveice to integrate it into fbi again. until then just use the scan qr codes option of fbi.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/new-tinydb-a-titledb-replacement.528719/

Reactions: MRTMW

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
IDK personally I like this one more: haxx.guide

Unfortunately the database is smaller, but still.
This is a static clone of titleDB and a slightly different GUI.

It does not work with FBI, it manages additions through Google Forms of all things, hosts flagbrew executables and in general is a messy unautomated junk.

Also autoplaying sound on a webpage is enough to make me condemn the creator to a very specific hell.

I'd recommend using tinyDB instead, there's zero reason to use the one you linked.

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It does not work with FBI, it manages additions through Google Forms of all things, hosts flagbrew executables and in general is a messy unautomated junk.

Also autoplaying sound on a webpage is enough to make me condemn the creator to a very specific hell.

I'd recommend using tinyDB instead, there's zero reason to use the one you linked.
autoplay music is why im glad to keep NoScript on and only temp whitelist sites by default. i cant tell what makes this "Unique" over tinyDb *shrug*

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
haxx.guide has a nicer GUI than TinyDB. It is alphabetically order, has a balanced color scheme, and keeps the QR codes separate from the SMDH icons. To me, seeing all those QR boxes laid out like that is quite messy, like Trypophobia-lite. Also, the icons aren't stretched/degraded, and the URL link https://tinydb.eiphax.tech/ is a mouthful. I suppose the last point is a nonissue with bookmarking, but if you had to recall the two by memory, haxx.guide is easier to remember.

A WIP with growing pains made by someone who's inexperienced in web development. Does his website have flaws? Of course! Could he make it better? Sure thing.

What I'm most surprised is the lack of titles compared to TinyDB and even the last late TitleDB. There are so many niche titles that are missing, and it's not like we don't have a backup list of those somewhere laying around to rebuild from and surpass TitleDB's former glory...

I'm the one who jokingly requested from him that BGM feature. That's harsh man. Grocery stores, Nintendo eShop, and back then freeShop itself, they all had tunes so your visit wouldn't be monotonous. There are worse offenses than auto BGM, and it's not like he couldn't code his page so it's disabled by default. Does your browser not have the ability to disable sound by tab? This is really a minor inconvenience.

Now, I will point out there is a special hell for websites that autoplay new videos and show itself offside when scrolling down the pages. F those.

There's no arguing that the general public would trust the person behind bruteforce seedminer more than a newcomer who hasn't previously established himself. I also mentioned to Multimegamander that he isn't helping his own reputation by being a downer because no one would want to support his project if he doesn't have his mindset clear and set straight.

However, this seems all too familiar like you and paul splitting the freeShop forks. While I hope that no ill will forms between DeadPhoenix8091 and Multimegamander as they veil for succession of the void left behind by TitleDB, it would be rude to support one over the other while outright rejecting or knocking down the one you don't favor. That kind of talk is what forms animosity or unappreciation to those who try to dev. I think you out of all people would know this better than anyone what that leads to.

autoplay music is why im glad to keep NoScript on and only temp whitelist sites by default. i cant tell what makes this "Unique" over tinyDb *shrug*
haxx.guide is indeed lacking on the title count and other departments. However, Multimegamander was the first to take initiative in trying to make a replacement TitleDB 2.0. First doesn't mean much when the goal is long term stability and continual improvements, but first does qualify as "Hey, at least I tried or am trying." Now, if haxx.guide isn't going to be updated or make changes, then yah TinyDB doesn't have competition to keep it on its toes.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Water park was quite fun
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    die?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes I'm in mortal danger
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes I'm in mortal danger