Is this still a thing? (wii u gamepad to pc streaming)

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by DeslotlCL, Oct 29, 2015.

1. DeslotlCL
    OP

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's official dragon look-alike axolotl

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your bed
    Im wondering if what it is shown in this video ( www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt2-IRiWd40 ) is still a thing, or if someone is still working on it or how it even works...

Sorry for this thread, im just curious

Margen67 and Simonwayneee like this.
  2. mutinize

mutinize dazed and confused

Jan 17, 2014
    United States
    I was hoping you meant using the gamepad as a secondary touch monitor with xinput. Now that would be awesome.

Fishaman P and MAXLEMPIRA like this.
  3. TehCupcakes

TehCupcakes GBAtemp Regular

Apr 5, 2013
    United States
    Well the youtube video's description clearly links to the source code... So yes, it is "still a thing" in that sense. Is someone actually working on it? Probably not.

AboodXD and Margen67 like this.
  4. Maschell

Maschell GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 14, 2008
    Gambia, The
  5. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Is there anyone that can compile a version with gamepad video streaming and share it somewhere?

CosmoCortney likes this.
  6. DeslotlCL
    OP

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's official dragon look-alike axolotl

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your bed
    Really? oh man, i was really looking forward to this, it would be really cool to display the gamepad screen in your pc and record it without the need of a capture card...

MAXLEMPIRA and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  7. thekarter104

thekarter104 GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    Sorry to bump this, but this is just keeping my interest and maybe others too.
    This is really interesting to record gameplay with OBS for example.

TotalInsanity4 and Dekirai like this.
  8. Coc4tm

Coc4tm WIP Nintendo hacker.

Feb 12, 2016
    France
    fw.img
    This is a python program so it doesn't need to be compiled .
    Here are instructions for Ubuntu/mint ( i am not at home , so it's untested), this should also work on debian by replacing apt to apt-get :

1. Download this file : https://bitbucket.org/memahaxx/drc-sim/get/04ab02c1d1a0.zip
    2. Extract this file on a folder called somewhere
    3. Open a terminal on somewhere
    4. Type : sudo apt install python , sudo apt install python-pygame , sudo apt install python-cffi , sudo apt install python-pyaudio , sudo apt install python-construct
    5. Edit manually config (on the source code)
    6. Type python drc-sim.py and enjoy !
    i will create a bash script if i have time

fodder and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  9. thekarter104

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    Thanks a lot! Will try that when I have access to my Wii U again.
    Any way for a Windows port? I read recording with recording/streaming software doesn't work well in a VM.

10. GizmoTheGreen

GizmoTheGreen GBAtemp Fan

Oct 8, 2009
    iirc you also need modified wireless drivers for your linux which you might have to compile and load yourself to actually make your wii u connect to your pc and think it's the gamepad, so I'm not sure if VM would even work. maybe if you give it direct access to your physical usb wifi dongle.

it will not work on windows (because of the custom driver thing)

11. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I would think that a direct passthrough would work

12. GizmoTheGreen

Oct 8, 2009
    can anyone recommend a cheap 5ghz rt2800usb device? tried googling but seems hard to find any specific model mentioned that doesn't cost megabucks
    also it seems the mac80211 patching/compiling is only needed for drclib... so the python software should just work but it still needs to do some sniffing with drc-hostap to get the keys needed
    I found this handy guide here https://github.com/justjake/drc-sim-keyboard that uses only part of the guide here https://rememberdontsearch.wordpress.com/2014/01/05/libdrc-wiiu-linux-setup-with-rt2800usb/

13. thekarter104

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    Hmm, what do you mean need modified wireless drivers? NTR Viewer uses that too? And NTR Viewer runs on Windows, so this must be possible too I guess.

14. GizmoTheGreen

Oct 8, 2009
    for NTR viewer you run a server on the actual 3DS and just communicate over TCP/IP

for this you actually need to do special wifi stuff to make it connect (you will not have internet unless you have an extra wifi adapter or ethernet cable, while using this) since we are making the whole computer act as a gamepad on the wifi

15. thekarter104

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    So is it possible that something like NTR can be on the Wii U too?

16. GizmoTheGreen

Oct 8, 2009
    sure, if the CFW goes far enough and someone wants to code this function. it could be done but I doubt anyone would want it, you can just capture the Wii U with HDMI and make a "fake" gamepad with drc-sim on a raspberry pi, that had HDMI too.

17. GizmoTheGreen

Oct 8, 2009
    sorry for double post. I feel like I am so close to have this working, I'm connected to the Wii U and when I try to run drc-sim I get
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

something about the codec not being defined? possibly a dependancy issue? I got libav-tools installed, ffmpeg is not available for raspberry pi afaik (I'm running the latest raspbian jessie with pixel)