Is this site Legit, "http://www.r4i-gold.co.uk/"?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Axel_Foley, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Axel_Foley
    OP

Newcomer Axel_Foley Newbie

United Kingdom
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the site - http://www.r4i-gold.co.uk/, and whether or not it is to be trusted I was thinking of buying an r4 from there.

Thanks in advance, for any help given.

Andavan likes this.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I do not recommend getting an R4 knockoff, most of them lack support/updates. This means they will not play many recent games, and might have issues with homebrew as well.

I recommend either the ORIGINAL R4 (not R4i, not R4-SDHC, not R4-gold, not R4 upgrade, NOTHING BUT "R4") so you can use the Wood R4 firmware (which has updates and fixes), an Acekard 2i (which also has updates and fixes), or a Supercard DSTwo (which is more expensive than the others, but includes the ability to play GBA games via emulation).

3. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    How about going for http://shoptemp.com/ ?

I got my Acekard just under two weeks (I'm from England too)

4. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    +1
    All these cards can be bought here for cheap
    http://shoptemp.com/
    And it's GBAtemp's official shop site
    Also avoid R4 Clones!

5. Axel_Foley
    OP

United Kingdom
  6. Axel_Foley
    OP

United Kingdom
    I was considering using that site but the time for shipping put me off slightly, by the way which shipping option did you use.

7. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    How do you know he's from England? According to the flag he could just as easily be from Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales.

8. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Actually the shipping at shoptemp is quite good, considering they're based in china. It takes most people between 1-2 weeks.
    http://gbatemp.net/t239860-the-free-shipping-survey

In any case I DO NOT recommend buying an R4i Gold, they're illegitimate.
    An original R4DS, an Acekard 2i, or a Supercard DStwo are all much better choices.

The original R4DS is only good because it's so cheap and has Wood R4 custom firmware, other than that, every other R4 out there is a fake, and unreliable.

9. Crystal the Glaceon

Antarctica
    Do not encourage R4 clones, just go with original or 1.1 from shoptemp. Otherwise go with a better card like Acekard 2 or Supercard Two

10. Berthenk

Member Berthenk Epitome of Awesomeness

Netherlands
  11. RupeeClock

United Kingdom
    Right, they're only abusing the R4 brand because they know it will sell through brand recognition, and trademark genericization.
    At the same time, they're alienating knowledgable shoppers from buying their product, on the off-chance it's not just an inferior product they're not going to do well in a market of fakes.

12. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
  13. Axel_Foley
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the advice, I was planning on using the cart in a ds lite. So what would I gain by buying Supercard DStwo or Acekard-2i- over the original r4. Also should I go for the free Hong-Kong Airmail, $1 Hong-Kong Airmail, or registered Hong Kong Airmail.

Thanks again to everyone for their help, its really appreciated.

14. Crystal the Glaceon

Antarctica
    Well with the Supercard Two, you gain a a powerhouse of a card with an on-board CPU and Ram, which can play GBA games and soon to be SNES games with a SDK coming out as well as well as updates quite often.
    Acekard 2, you get a nice looking homebrew OS that updates quite often and has loads of features like wifi updates, but isn't really a powerhouse.
    R4 you get Wood, which is almost as good as AKAIO, but lacks some of the features and lacks SDHC support and DSi support.

15. RupeeClock

United Kingdom
    Okay well first off, the shipping options are all about the same.
    Free hong kong is free, adding $1 makes sure you get the packaging but i think they changed that.
    Registered Hong Kong gives you a tracking number you can use, but many people don't seem to get much use out of it anyway. [​IMG]

Now about the flashcarts.
    The R4DS is cheap, it's only $6 and will play just about everything when you install Wood R4.
    The downside is, 2gb limit, and no DSi support.

The Acekard 2i is a step above that, at $15 it supports SDHC memory (up to 32gb) and works on DSi 1.4 (1.4.1 unfortunately came out today though)

And then there's the best cart, the Supercard DStwo, it's pricey at $35, but it's really good.
    It has an integrated CPU that lets it emulate GBA games, and very soon SNES games too.
    It has a unique real-time menu where you can read .txt and view .bmp guides, enable cheats or slow motion, and use real-time game saves.

All three have great compatibility and are about equal there right now.
    Hope that helps.

16. Rydian

United States
    Guys, the R4 he linked to says it works with Wood R4...

However it will have a 2GB card limit and lack certain features and won't work on a DSi, so I still recommend an Acekard 2i over it, but if he does get that, at least he can use Wood R4, much better than the R4i gold or whatever crap.

17. RupeeClock

United Kingdom
    ...The shop ITSELF is called R4i-gold? That's confusing as all hell, seeing as that's the exact name of the product.
    In any case though, their R4DS is £6, and Shoptemp's is $6, which works out to about £4, so it's cheaper.

18. Skyline969

Member Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Canada
    In this day and age, almost any site that has "r4" in the title is NOT legit. Like many have said before, if you're really desperate for an R4, get one from ShopTemp. Otherwise, invest in a better card like the AceKard 2/i.

19. Rydian

United States

20. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

Axel: that shop is legit but it's based in HongKong just like Shoptemp. So shipping delays are 100% similar.
    edit: my bad, i got it confused with another shop. they all look alike to me !
    if its shipped from the UK they might get in trouble, i heard its become really illegal there...