is this right PS2 Network Adaptor for a phat PS2?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Flame, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Flame
    OP

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    Some one just dumped a old thread which reminded me of this..

-removed-

The link above is what I'm planning to get for my phat.

I would need an hardrive to go with it and I'm done, right?

2. HarEllis6202

HarEllis6202 GBATemp OldFag

Feb 19, 2015
    United States
    Michigan
    Freemcboot user here pretty sure you need a HDD. What did you plan to do Linux?

3. Flame
    OP

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    Linux? I want to play my backups?

4. geishroy

geishroy Suspended

Suspended
    Dec 10, 2008
    United States
    you need freemcboot on the mem card as well. but yeah you can also get an ide to sata converter or you could find a third party network adapter with sata preinstalled if you would like. It is very hard to find high capacity IDE drives these days. Also some hard drives IDE do not fit very well with the adapter.

Flame likes this.
  5. Flame
    OP

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    I've already done that. Installed freemcboot.

Any links or info of type of hardware I need. So I don't waste money buying the wrong stuff.

6. geishroy

geishroy Suspended

Suspended
    Dec 10, 2008
    United States
    Well it's mostly old WD HDD's that have trouble. from my understanding Seagate IDE drives are fine, but Seagate sucks. http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=guide_westerndigital is what I am talking about. The connector just doesn't match up so you will have to take it apart if you use a WD drive. Again I find these more reliable than Seagate but you will have various success regardless because you will be buying used drives. That is why you may want to look into getting a 3rd party sata one, that way you can have a cheap higher capacity hard drive that is new. Unless you have an old fairly high capacity IDE hard drive laying around.

Flame likes this.
  7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Having FreeMCBoot on the Memory Card is no longer a requirement, upgrade to FHDB or a patched ODSYS and boot straight from the HDD.

As for the HDD, most will work fine. In fact, there are third-party Network Adopters that even accept SATA. Your only concern is the thickness of the HDD.

8. HarEllis6202

HarEllis6202 GBATemp OldFag

Feb 19, 2015
    United States
    Michigan
    Oh sorry I went the DVD backup route found USB and HDD loading to not work very well with my games.

Flame likes this.
  9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    USB is terrible, but HDD now has 99% compatibility via OPL, try that. Alternatively there's SMB loading which also works great and is much faster than USB.

10. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Don't know if it's been fixed (not used my ps2 in a long time, so haven't kept up), but the 3rd party SATA network adapters, seemed to have issues with a few games & opl. Might have been fixed by now. Also they have no network port.

11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I've seen a few with Network ports intact. There's some Sony-branded ones even, but I have no idea if those are real or knock-offs. :P

12. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    What are the names for those lovely programs when they aren't being abbreviated?

13. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    And osdys allows the hdd to be seen under the ps2 browser, you can launch games from it

14. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    OSDSYS is just OSDSYS (I know I typed ODSYS earlier, that was a typo, I was on my phone), it's a part of the OS and it's actually made by Sony, but there are patched versions that allow you to launch homebrew and backups - can't link for obvious reasons, it's copyrighted content, even if it's modified. FHDB stands for Free Hard Disk Boot. They're both easily googlable. ;)

Monty Kensicle likes this.