Hacking Is this really better than R4?

nezkeys79

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Currently I own an R4 and have been using it for over a year. I have seen a bundle deal of cyclo ds evolution + class 4 4gb card for £44.99 and wondering why is it so expensive?

Apart from the fact cyclo ds supports 16gb cards (r4 only supports 2gb cards) I cant see what makes it so superior . If the cyclo ds can't play gba roms on its own (i.e you need an expansion pack just like the r4) how is it superior to my R4? So far I havent seen a rom the R4 cant play so please tell me what a cyclo has that the R4 doesnt please.

Also my sister is asking for my advice and I am saying the R4 is ok but she is reading online that its dated and that the cyclo is the best in its field.

Thanks for reading look forward to your replies,

Neil

Any info regarding this would help because I may swap if its worth it.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
R4 is a dead cart, the company behind it went bust a year ago, so unlike the Cyclo its getting no new updates or support. Any R4 cart you buy now is fake (and theres a ton of carts on sale which have the R4 name). Also no slot-1 cart can play GBA games, you have to use a slot 2 device.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
nezkeys79 said:
Currently I own an R4 and have been using it for over a year. I have seen a bundle deal of cyclo ds evolution + class 4 4gb card for £44.99 and wondering why is it so expensive?

Apart from the fact cyclo ds supports 16gb cards (r4 only supports 2gb cards) I cant see what makes it so superior . If the cyclo ds can't play gba roms on its own (i.e you need an expansion pack just like the r4) how is it superior to my R4? So far I havent seen a rom the R4 cant play so please tell me what a cyclo has that the R4 doesnt please.

Also my sister is asking for my advice and I am saying the R4 is ok but she is reading online that its dated and that the cyclo is the best in its field.

Thanks for reading look forward to your replies,

Neil

Any info regarding this would help because I may swap if its worth it.

Have a read of the GBATemp review of the CycloDS for the features it provides.
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=53450
And on top of that the developers of the Cyclo are actively supporting the card still, whereas the R4 team are no longer about or providing firmware updates, which means that some games need to be manually fixed to work on the R4.

The Cyclo is the best card on the market, but it's got a pricetag to match and to be honest I think the AceKard2.1 is far better value because it has most of the advantages of the Cyclo without the hefty price.
AK2 review: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=122563 (Well actually that's a review of the AK2i, but it's exactly the same save for being slightly more expensive and working on the DSi - thought I'd link to think one because it reviews a newer firmware etc)

If you've already got an R4 it's up to you whether you think it's worth upgrading to a more up to date card, but certainly don't suggest anyone gets an R4 or clone now.

Gibble

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
CycloDS has "more features" - Awesome RTS, InGame Text Reader, Built in support for the EZFlash 3in1, pretty strong (most of the time) Dev Team, just check out the Team Cyclops website and forums

personally for normal game playing and best bang for your buck I'd go with a cheap DSTT and the EZFlash3in1 for the gba games, only reason I have the Cyclo is for the text reader ^^ and I like the ability to soft reset from anything

nezkeys79

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks for your replies guys. Wow I was unaware there is no team behind the R4 anymore and Im going to upgrade after hearing that.

but yeah I have struggled to get certain games working.(dq5 and chrono trigger took ages lol). Only game I have not got working is FF:Echoes of Time but I know other people have got it working on their R4 so as of yet I dont know any rom that doesnt play on it, but yeah its becoming increasingly harder to get them to work lol.

Ill check out the reviews now. The acekard sounds interesting but it doesnt have rts and rtg so I feel if I'm paying now for and upgrade my as well get the best one. £34.99 for the cyclo isnt that much really if it boasts all this stuff.

dobz

Trophies
XP
Country
nezkeys79 said:
this is the deal my sister wants to get....

http://www.techwizad.com/index1.html

I got mine from that same site
yaynds.gif

Amak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
(although the CycloDS Evolution feels pretty sturdy, it does have a chip sticking out, which shouldn't post that much of a problem).

Only the older ones have the protruding chip. I have a newer one (v3?) which fits just fine.

Amak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
Errrr I'm pretty sure even the latest batch ones have a chip sticking out, just very very very slightly. I think I've had 3 different versions of the Cyclo, so unless a new one has come out, I'm pretty certain that's the case.

Bought mine June last year and it doesn't seem to have one...unless it is that separate little section on the front, towards the top and below the sticker.

Anywho, I personally prefer the Cyclo. $50 doesn't seem too bad if you have the money, and the features seem well worth it.

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
elixirdream said:
how to identify different versions of cycloDS?
i just got mine yesterday...

sorry for being a cyclo noob!
It really doesn't matter that much which version you have unless you're unlucky enough to have a bad batch. If you got a first-hand one recently then it should be a new batch.

Don't quote me on this, but last I heard all Cyclos are now being produced as black carts with white sticker rather than white carts with white sticker, so if you have a black cart, that's a good sign. Another change in newer batch is that the chip doesn't stick out from under the sticker too much.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)