Hacking Is this price fair?

aldrinballado

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, I would like to ask whether the following prices are worth it for a full installation and set-up of A9LH on a N3DS via the DSiware downgrade method.

I have contacted a local private vendor who has quoted me AU$80 for a full installation of A9LH and Luma on my N3DS running 11.0 firmware.

He then proceeds to make claims about the risks of bricking and that an additional insurance payment of AU$50 will entitle me to a new console if it ever happens to my 3DS.

In total it will cost me AU$130 (US$100) for a 'risk-less' installation of A9LH.

I want to know whether this is fair for this kind of service.

Last edited by aldrinballado,

aldrinballado

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
it's not,

this alone is not fair, just only get it hardmodded by someone and then downgrade it by yourself and install a9lh in a riskless way since you would have hardmod
:/ Unfortunately I don't have the tools nor the experience required to perform a hardmod myself.

I do, however, own a 2DS on FW 10.6.0-31E which I may hack myself and install A9LH as the price he had quoted shocked me...

I mean at the end of the day he's only modifying files on the SD card and playing with the system transfer feature on the 3DS.

It just seems absurd that this kind of 'service' would cost a whopping AU$130 and not to mention he is using a process which is inferior to hardmodding.

Reactions: CaptainSwag101

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You aussies are damn rich, why bother over what's pennies you can make back in a day's work?

Just pay it, it's damn worth it. 3DS is the best console ever built.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I disagree, there is no such thing as being poor when you can make around 80 dollars a day, but I won't argue.

Now what I would think:

You might end up regretting not paying up for the service. In case your 3DS bricks for instance.

But you'll hardly end up regretting paying for a guaranteed hack, because the 3DS is awesome!

Just make sure the "insurance" covers a new hacked N3DS so you don't have to pay up again just in case.

It's worth noting that your N3DS being hacked adds up to resell value in case you need some of that money back.

Last edited by netovsk,

Kourin

Touhou Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I would pay $20 at very most for the service if I was in your shoes. Not that I would ever pay for it.
Quite literally all the person is doing is moving some files for you. A9LH is pretty risk-free at this point too. The fact that he wants you to pay for insurance says that he either doesn't know what he's doing and wants to cover or scamming you.

Don't forget you gotta pay to ship your console to the guy. Just either borrow or buy the stuff yourself, it'd be a hell of a lot cheaper.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I collect Zelda strategy guides and books, if you have any I don't have that you don't mind parting with I'll do it for that. I live in Canberra so you can either post it to me or drop it off.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I disagree, there is no such thing as being poor when you can make around 80 dollars a day, but I won't argue
What about when a room in a sharehouse costs on average $200/week or a house is $600-$1000/week? You need to make a lot more than $80/day to not struggle to eat and pay for transport etc.

Reactions: RemixDeluxe

Deleted member 373223

Pink = Best colour
Trophies
XP
:/ Unfortunately I don't have the tools nor the experience required to perform a hardmod myself.

I do, however, own a 2DS on FW 10.6.0-31E which I may hack myself and install A9LH as the price he had quoted shocked me...

I mean at the end of the day he's only modifying files on the SD card and playing with the system transfer feature on the 3DS.

It just seems absurd that this kind of 'service' would cost a whopping AU$130 and not to mention he is using a process which is inferior to hardmodding.
i meant gett hardmodded by someone else like a friend.

The Iron Rose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a 2ds then follow plailect's guide to set up a9lh on the 2ds. You can subsequently use a system transfer and DSiWare downgrade to hack your 3ds.

No cost at all, besides the $10AUD or so it'll cost to buy the exploitable DSiWare game.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
to put it into perspective I do hardmod downgrades with a9lh setup for less than his initial price which would also cover return postage etc (for UK postage) and with it being a hardmod downgrade it's already guaranteed to be brick free, dsi downgrades do have the very slim possibility of bricking during the downgrade and during the a9lh install steps(same a hardmod installs except hardmodded consoles can be immediately fixed), as slim as those risks are it sounds like if that happened he would keep the money and send you back a bricked console unless you paid up for "insurance"

the only reason I see these services being any use is if they are able/willing to recover from bricks else you might as well do it yourself

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Temarile

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That is ridiculous. You can do it yourself, you'll only need to pay the dsiware game. I know it's "risky" but over $100?! That's absolutely ridiculous. I do it for free!

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That really is shocking. There has to be another way or even another Aussie on this forum that can offer you a much better deal than this.

aldrinballado

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That is ridiculous. You can do it yourself, you'll only need to pay the dsiware game. I know it's "risky" but over $100?! That's absolutely ridiculous. I do it for free!
Yep... Well it seemed like this guy was trying to take advantage of my naivety and empty my pockets. I honestly thought he would be a little bit more generous especially since we're both locals. I guess I was wrong.

It doesn't matter anymore as I'll attempt to mod my 2DS and consult the forums if any problems arise during the installation of A9LH.

Last edited by aldrinballado,
Reactions: Quantumcat

owek1

Master Sword Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
where are you in australia anyway? yeah, better do it yourself..you got a 2DS anyway, just get a powersave and OOT3D cartridge, will cost less than what that person was asking you..with that price alone you could purchase a preowned 3DS at EB Games..

aldrinballado

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
where are you in australia anyway?
I live in Adelaide mate.
with that price alone you could purchase a preowned 3DS at EB Games..
Yep, this is exactly what came up in my mind. So basically, this guy wants me to buy him a preowned 3DS just so I can have him install some files on my console? That's just downright selfishness and rotten to the core if you ask me.

Reactions: owek1

Wojton

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I assist people with DSiware downgrade + A9LH installation for total of $10. Sure, I do it remotely (through Team Viewer), but still, $80 for about 2 hours of work is a ridiculous price. You're better off doing it yourself and asking for help here should you encounter any problems.

Last edited by Wojton,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ngNaUaQOfPU