Is this normal?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by mike1984, Oct 18, 2007.

Oct 18, 2007

Is this normal? by mike1984 at 6:18 PM (882 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. mike1984
    OP

Member mike1984 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I just got my R4 last week. I love it so far, but some times (it's happened twice since I got it) it will freeze up at random times on games. It happened yesterday with THPG when I was going from menu to menu and it happened last week with Sonic Rush. I restart my DS and it doesn't even detect the R4. I have to restart it 2 times to get it back up again. Is this something normal?

I'm using the newest version of the firmware btw.

2. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Refomat the card.

3. mike1984
    OP

Member mike1984 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    But I just got it? So I should reformat the MicroSD anyways? Also, should it be on Fat32 or 16? I have it on 32 right now.

4. Wii_DS.

Banned Wii_DS. ウォリアー

United Kingdom
    You should ALWAYS format a Memory Card when you just get it.

5. NormenKD

Newcomer NormenKD Advanced Member

Germany
    for 2 gb and under you should use fat16

6. arsehat

Member arsehat GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    The fact that it's not even seeing the R4 is the giveaway.

Not a firmware issue, or a formatting issue... it'll be a contact issue between the R4 and the contacts in the slot, unless there's some weird intermittent fault in the R4.

You might like to try slipping a thick piece of paper or a thin piece of card in between the label side of the R4 and the slot - the instructions/warranty from the Kingston TF cards is ideal for this purpose, one or two layers if you do it externally, a single layer if you place the paper inside the cartridge itself. Packing it out internally is a more permanent solution, and I've done it for a few friends with older or more heavily worn DSs - trace around the board with a craft knife, cut off the top half-inch or so from the TF end of the board, punch a hole in the appropriate place, five minutes work all up including cartridge disassembly and reassembly. I've seen one DS that wouldn't recognise the cart AT ALL until the cart was packed out this way. This takes the contacts on the cart a fraction of a millimetre closer to the contacts in the slot.

7. aZnXrAvEr

Member aZnXrAvEr GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Happens to me once in a while too.

8. GundamXXX

Member GundamXXX Ergo Ego

Australia
    Happens to me all the time I just pop it out then in no worries bout it imo
    Only thing is thatll wear the NDS spring out but who cares ill buy a new one when it comes to that [​IMG]