Hacking Is this micro SDHC card fast enough?

Kira99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
My brother recently just bought 2 Duracell 4gb micro sd for $10 at Bestbuy. (I believe they paid another company to make it for them)

I did a Quick and Long test with HD Tach, and here are the results:
Random Acess: 0.8ms
CPU utilization: 8% (+/-2%)
Average read: 20.2 MB/s

I have an R4, and am considering either a AceKard 2 or a CycloDS (although this is pricey)

Is this fast enough to play games on either of those carts?

berkley

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
those are good enough speeds, and I would suggest the CycloDS there better cards, and they allways have new features and good support

carterman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those are great speeds. Nice find.

While the cyclo is almost unquestionably the better card in terms of features, the acekard is no slouch either (especially with the akaio custom firmware) and it is far cheaper than the cyclo, especially if you get it from dealextreme.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
everyone prefers the mainstream cyclo these days and i have no idea why. a few gimmick features like slow motion and real time save does not justify the price tag. norm and smiths work to improve akaio almost every day. i think the ak2 at 13.99 is a much smarter buy. everyone seems to remember the ak2 batch batch issue but no one seems to remember the first few months of DOA cyclods kits.

-another world

Kira99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Other than real time save and slow motion, what can the CyclosDS do that the AceKard2 can't? It really is cheap on DealXtreme, but I read some comments that the AceKard2 is flimsy, which is a shame. The AceKard2 does have a nice gui imo.

Where's the cheapest place to buy a Cyclos? (I need shipping to Canada, preferably free)
I think I remember the CyclosDS having onboard memory. What's it used for right now?

Are these cards Chinese like the R4? I'd hate that they get closed down too (everyone's saying R4 quit).

How often do they update firmware? Went on Cyclos' website, last update was in July. Does that mean they don't update often or that there hasn't been any compatibility issues lately?

carterman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Real-time save is helpful, though, especially with a game like Mega Man ZX Advent with its asshole mid-level bosses. I pretty much have to play that game on my M3 Real instead of my Acekard because of it.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
if you are an adult that takes care of your toys the ak2 will last you. if you want a slightly sturdier build then pick up the rpg. its around the same cost as the cyclo and comes with 1 gig of on board nand memory. i don’t consider myself to be an expert for kits i don’t own, but i have to say that i am not aware of a kit not produced in china. the reason r4 was attacked was due to japanese retailers openly selling them, nintendo went after the source instead of the retailers. that's what happens when you are a mainstream kit.

with the ak you get a firmware choice, cut/copy/paste/delete, trim on copy, cheats, wifi cheat update, shortcuts, ability to hide/show files, the ability to choose save type, soft reset, supported download play, wifi, boot last rom on start, and dma patching methods. its a gaming kit with stuff that makes it easier to game on. it has some quarks and it doesn't have a paid team to support it like the cyclo does. personally out of the 8 flash kits i have now my ak's get the most use (daily).

in the end its your decision. all i can honestly tell you is for 13.99 the newly redesigned black pcb ak2.1 is all that and a 4 pack of imported chocolate stout.

-another world

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
it has some quarks and it doesn't have a paid team to support it like the cyclo does. personally out of the 8 flash kits i have now my ak's get the most use (daily).

It has quarks?

Acekard does indeed have a team of developers who are paid to support it. However, it is also true that they've concentrated development on the loader (i.e. compatibility updates) rather than the menu since they shared the menu source code with Gelu, Normatt, Smiths, and others who have made some great custom menus for it.

@Kira99: If features like RTS and slow-motion are worth the extra cost, certainly consider the CycloDS or SCDS1. Otherwise, the AK2 is probably a better choice since it provides a nicer menu for a lower price.

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    Taking more time to load the page than to fire up the paper towel is an issue
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's worse is the dinosaur game popping up when the lotion comes out
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    You use paper towels too? :rofl2:
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    Better keep the safe place 'safe'
    Bounty. The quicker picker upper? lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Aloe vera now with rgb
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    On a serious note, have you tested your ISP DNS answer time ?
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    Last time i've checked, my ISP was like 5/6 ms slower than Cloudflare x)
    yeah. I've tried changing dns too.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Check cpuid make sure ram sockets are detected
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    (and i'm fibered, 5gb shared downloads, 1gb upload)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or even in bios
    its mostly when starting firefox that it's noticible slower. Opening and loading the homepage. Tried fresh installs and all.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Knowing your system specs would help
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    if you're in win 11, have you checked which graphical processor Firefox was using ?
    after it's open, its a bit slower too at loading pages, but not as noticeable as the initial startup and homepage loading
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    can make a little difference
    You mean as in hardware acceleration on or off?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Went to make cup noodles, spilled boiling water on me then the kettle decided to pop
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why I saw a kettle with wifi
    Will try that now
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    ouch @K3Nv2 hope nothing's too bad !
    xda a good site. My go to site for phone shit. :)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Females have burnt me worse
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Females have burnt me worse