jaxxster

The Heretic
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
So after lifting one of the pads by removing a cable the modder tried to solder to the ic leg and kinda melted 2 of them together...can this install be fixed or is my wii unmoddable now? I was gunna take it to a modder who deals with d2c installs so i know he'd be able to do the work if its tricky. Thanks for your feedback

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
I hope you didn't pay someone for that.

Yes, it looks like it can be fixed, as long as more traces haven't been destroyed underneath the modchip. The "modder" has used too much solder, and possibly a too large iron, and has bridged the legs.

If you want, you can send it to me. I'm in Hertfordshire so the posting times wouldn't take too long. PM me if you're interested.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
To me it seems that the legs got bridged. Have you tried if the Wii still works and read originals?

You'll have to desolder the legs first, and then proceed to clean all the solder in excess, and THEN solder the modchip again, this time by a guy who doesn't use a soldering gun
biggrin.gif

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
jaxxster said:
yup, popped in a GC disk and the logo showed up in the disc channel so thats positive news that this is fixable then?
Yeah, you'll just have to clean that solder-mess and you'll be fine
smile.gif

The installer will just have to solder a single wire to the IC (the one who's pad got lifted) and the mod's done
smile.gif

jeffc313

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow... even on a DMS. If that were a cut-leg D2B, it would be excusable, but not on that
rolleyes.gif

should definately be repairable

jaxxster

The Heretic
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
cool....this thing has been one problem after another! I hope i finally have this thing sorted soon!

Only problem is he hasnt installed a cyclowiz before only just wiikeys, yasoms and d2c chips. Might just ditch this and go for a yasom chip then sell the 2 cyclowizs ive got.

Xeronage

Trophies
XP
Country
DUDE! I have little to no solder experience but even I can solder to IC Legs without damaging it. (370 Celcius @50W and 0.2mm, I cant even purposely burn the circuit board with it if I tried)
DAMN, that must've been a real amateur.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Reminds me of the METROID posts from WiiNewz about a year ago. People would try to weld their modchips on and then take them to him for repairs. It looks also like not only did solder flow between the legs, but he must have been pushing really hard to bend one of the legs over too.

Note to those using a soldering iron: If the solder isn't melting after 2 seconds no amount of pressure will solve the problem The issue is a dirty iron. Clean the iron tip with a tip cleaning tray and put flux on everything so the heat actually transfers.

Good lord.

Xeronage

Trophies
XP
Country
Hooya said:
Reminds me of the METROID posts from WiiNewz about a year ago. People would try to weld their modchips on and then take them to him for repairs. It looks also like not only did solder flow between the legs, but he must have been pushing really hard to bend one of the legs over too.

Note to those using a soldering iron: If the solder isn't melting after 2 seconds no amount of pressure will solve the problem The issue is a dirty iron. Clean the iron tip with a tip cleaning tray and put flux on everything so the heat actually transfers.

Good lord.

I prefer 'thick/viscous' solder (using lower temperatures) with these small solder points, over the more fluid ones. I just apply a little amount of solder on the kynar wire, put it on the leg, and then melt it again. It won't jump over to other legs, and leave a nice connection between the leg and wire.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: can troll SylverReZ the following day :)