Is this a sport

Licardo7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need to know if ether paintball or airsoft is a sport cus I have to do a paper on it but I don't know if it's a sport so it will be fine to do my report on. Can you guys help me?

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
The definition of "sport" is a fuzzy one. Some people will tell you that for instance darts isn't a sport because it requires no physical fitness and it's not competitive in that your performance doesn't effect the performance of the other person directly (in, say, football you're directly competing, in darts, golf and bowling you're both basically playing separately and then comparing scores)

If you want to write your paper on paintball and think you'll have to justify it as a sport, you can either point out that it's referred to as a sport by organisations like the United Kingdom Paintball Sport Federation or say it fits into a dictionary definition of sport

QUOTE said:
sport
a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
b. A particular form of this activity.
2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
3. An active pastime; recreation.

I don't think you can argue it's not a sport under those definitions, but hey your teacher might be a hardass. You could always ask (unless it's due in tomorrow!)

Licardo7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
The definition of "sport" is a fuzzy one. Some people will tell you that for instance darts isn't a sport because it requires no physical fitness and it's not competitive in that your performance doesn't effect the performance of the other person directly (in, say, football you're directly competing, in darts, golf and bowling you're both basically playing separately and then comparing scores)

If you want to write your paper on paintball and think you'll have to justify it as a sport, you can either point out that it's referred to as a sport by organisations like the United Kingdom Paintball Sport Federation or say it fits into a dictionary definition of sport

QUOTE said:
sport
a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
b. A particular form of this activity.
2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
3. An active pastime; recreation.

I don't think you can argue it's not a sport under those definitions, but hey your teacher might be a hardass. You could always ask (unless it's due in tomorrow!)
It's due tomorrow
dry.gif

I think she will except it as long as I tell her y I chose it and why I think it is a sport. Do the same rules apply to airsoft?

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't think your question has a correct answer it could be argued either way and I guess thats the point of your paper its like a debate you have to argue your opinion, no?

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
omg, my firefox went nuts. delete these please
smile.gif
and before anyone says I didn't make this post to say "my firefox went nuts" my firefox crashed and it ended up making 4 posts :|

Licardo7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
now my question is: Which you think would be more interesting, Paintball or airsoft?

P.S: Also, my teacher is letting us work on it tomorrow too.

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
thegame07 said:
omg, my firefox went nuts. delete these please
smile.gif
and before anyone says I didn't make this post to say "my firefox went nuts" my firefox crashed and it ended up making 4 posts :|

baleeted

Anyway, give a logical argument as to why you think airsoft and paintball is a sport and your teacher will probably be OK with it. Most of the kids in your class are probably unoriginal assholes and picked American Football anyway, so your teacher may enjoy a different sport to read after reading 10 papers on the same sport.

Man18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
2. a particular form of this, esp. in the out of doors.
3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.
4. jest; fun; mirth; pleasantry: What he said in sport was taken seriously.
5. mockery; ridicule; derision: They made sport of him.
6. an object of derision; laughingstock.
7. something treated lightly or tossed about like a plaything.
8. something or someone subject to the whims or vicissitudes of fate, circumstances, etc.
9. a sportsman.
10. Informal. a person who behaves in a sportsmanlike, fair, or admirable manner; an accommodating person: He was a sport and took his defeat well.
11. Informal. a person who is interested in sports as an occasion for gambling; gambler.
12. Informal. a flashy person; one who wears showy clothes, affects smart manners, pursues pleasurable pastimes, or the like; a bon vivant.
13. Biology. an organism or part that shows an unusual or singular deviation from the normal or parent type; mutation.
14. Obsolete. amorous dalliance.
–adjective
15. of, pertaining to, or used in sports or a particular sport.
16. suitable for outdoor or informal wear: sport clothes.
–verb (used without object)
17. to amuse oneself with some pleasant pastime or recreation.
18. to play, frolic, or gambol, as a child or an animal.
19. to engage in some open-air or athletic pastime or sport.
20. to trifle or treat lightly: to sport with another's emotions.
21. to mock, scoff, or tease: to sport at suburban life.
22. Botany. to mutate.
–verb (used with object)
23. to pass (time) in amusement or sport.
24. to spend or squander lightly or recklessly (often fol. by away).
25. Informal. to wear, display, carry, etc., esp. with ostentation; show off: to sport a new mink coat.
26. Archaic. to amuse (esp. oneself).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE