Is this a partial brick? Wii U turns on but only the shoulder buttons and X work...

jwitz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Not sure what has happened but regardless of the controller including gamepad only the shoulder buttons and X work and the touch screen is unresponsive. If I press the home button there is a silhouette of a cursor which I can control with my pro controller or wii motion control.

I can't get into the settings to try and reset as there's no way to navigate to it. Am I screwed?

Edit: So after connecting to the TV the pro controller was able to navigate to games, but after loading them I was unable to use any of the buttons except for the home button. Also if I press X to go into the view with the Mii characters walking around, the d pad on the gamepad and also the joystick work again and i can move the camera around the Mii area. I really don't know why it's suddenly started doing this.

Last edited by jwitz,

Exotical

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure what has happened but regardless of the controller including gamepad only the shoulder buttons and X work and the touch screen is unresponsive. If I press the home button there is a silhouette of a cursor which I can control with my pro controller or wii motion control.

I can't get into the settings to try and reset as there's no way to navigate to it. Am I screwed?

Edit: So after connecting to the TV the pro controller was able to navigate to games, but after loading them I was unable to use any of the buttons except for the home button. Also if I press X to go into the view with the Mii characters walking around, the d pad on the gamepad and also the joystick work again and i can move the camera around the Mii area. I really don't know why it's suddenly started doing this.
What CFW are you on?

jwitz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

What CFW are you on?
Thank you for the quick reply. It's on CBHC 1.6 I believe.

Exotical

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the quick reply. It's on CBHC 1.6 I believe.
Did you do any of this? (Taken from wiiu.hacks.guide)
- The DS game has to be legitimately installed from the eShop!
- Don’t format the system while CBHC is installed!
- Don’t delete the user account that bought the DS Virtual Console game!
- Don’t re-install the same game using WUP Installer or from the eShop!
- Don’t install Haxchi over CBHC! (You will not brick, but it will cause a boot-loop! Hold A when booting to access the Homebrew Launcher and uninstall CBHC.)
- Don’t uninstall the DS Virtual Console game without properly uninstalling CBHC first!
- Don’t move the DS Virtual Console game to a USB drive!

jwitz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Did you do any of this? (Taken from wiiu.hacks.guide)
- The DS game has to be legitimately installed from the eShop!
- Don’t format the system while CBHC is installed!
- Don’t delete the user account that bought the DS Virtual Console game!
- Don’t re-install the same game using WUP Installer or from the eShop!
- Don’t install Haxchi over CBHC! (You will not brick, but it will cause a boot-loop! Hold A when booting to access the Homebrew Launcher and uninstall CBHC.)
- Don’t uninstall the DS Virtual Console game without properly uninstalling CBHC first!
- Don’t move the DS Virtual Console game to a USB drive!

I haven't done anything on the list, however I did enter my router information after a long period of no wifi so maybe an official update has caused this? If so I'll have to deal with it as I can't seem to navigate through the system settings as the gamepad buttons don't work.

Exotical

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't done anything on the list, however I did enter my router information after a long period of no wifi so maybe an official update has caused this? If so I'll have to deal with it as I can't seem to navigate through the system settings as the gamepad buttons don't work.
When was the last time your Wii U was updated? The last time a system update was released is March 2021.

jwitz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
When was the last time your Wii U was updated? The last time a system update was released is March 2021.
I'm pretty sure it's been offline since the release of CBHC 1.6 (2016 going by google). The only option I can think of trying at this point is loading the homebrew launcher through TV mode and seeing if uninstalling CBHC through the installer resolves anything. If not then it's a goner.

jwitz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Try using your pro controller to go to system settings, then tell me firmware version you're on.
it says 99.99.99 E

edit: also no hope for uninstalling CBHC as gamepad and pro controller are both unresponsive when in the Homebrew Launcher except for pressing the home button where I can then use the pro controller as a silhouette cursor.

Further edit: Loading up Mario 3D World works with the Pro Controller and gamepad. I honestly have no idea what's going on. Touch screen works as well in Twilight Princess on name screen.

With Shantae and Pirates Curse only the A button works to get to the file select screen, and then only the B button works on the file select screen to go back.

This is very confusing.

Last edited by jwitz,

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Exotical This is no brick. Don't get confuses by the wording of the tite. A CHBC brick would look way different.

@jwitz This hardy sounds like some system library corrupted. I have no idea which one through but in case we're somehow able to identify it we could reinstall it (NUSspli is able to reinstall system libs. It's a dangerous process, so don't start to blindly reinstall anything but yea).

jwitz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@Exotical This is no brick. Don't get confuses by the wording of the tite. A CHBC brick would look way different.

@jwitz This hardy sounds like some system library corrupted. I have no idea which one through but in case we're somehow able to identify it we could reinstall it (NUSspli is able to reinstall system libs. It's a dangerous process, so don't start to blindly reinstall anything but yea).
Thanks for the reply. Do you know how would I go about determining which has become corrupted? I'm willing to try anything at this point, even just trying to reinstall everything (assuming the controllers allow me to navigate the program when opened)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, Okies. Family graveyard is that way 👉