Is this a legit Fire Red cartridge?

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by Cheekee, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Cheekee
    OP

Cheekee Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2015
    United States
    I can't tell, it has an embossed label, but as people know, the fakes are getting better, and better.

[​IMG]

2. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    Everything checks out for me. The game code, AGB-BPRE-USA checks out, the logo is nicely centered on the label, the ESRB logo looks correct, TPC's logo looks good, there's the stamp indentations on the sticker as well, and the GBA logo just under the cart grip looks properly pressed.

Best way to know though: Is there a battery behind that label to the top-right?

3. Randomdude0

Randomdude0 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 4, 2015
    Colombia
    Check the connectors theres usually a "Nintendo" label above them. Usually those are more likely to be legit.

4. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    I wouldn't rely on that, as I've seen fakes that have that NINTENDO label there. I saw some photos recently in which it actually did look like it was legit, but it did actually turn out to be fake. I was really impressed, actually.

5. Fat D

Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 18, 2006
    Gambia, The
    I was just about to complain that FR/LG have no clock. Then I remembered that bootlegs often use SRAM.

6. Randomdude0

Randomdude0 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 4, 2015
    Colombia
    I know, i've seen those too even with a perfect glossy label, but if it doesn't have it you can straight up discard it.

7. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    Yeah. I have a few bootlegs myself, so that's usually the first thing I'd check for, otherwise I'd look at the label quality, then the cartridge pressing technique, followed by the NINTENDO print on the chip.
    Yeah. They really are getting better. Eventually you'll have to actually open the cartridge to truly know.

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    @ various the fakes have been getting pretty good lately, we are a bit beyond a 3 in 1 with a label made on an inkjet these days.
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/is-this-a-legit-pal-copy-of-ninja-cop-ninja-five-o.390496/

You are really going to have to open it up and have a look at the PCB. You might be able to figure some stuff out from the pins on the cart (some of those fakes have slightly longer exposed ground pins) but opening it is the best way.

For pokemon it is not really a problem to open them -- if you plan to resell it then it seems people do like to have the batteries replaced and thus you have a legit reason to open it up to have a look.

loco365 likes this.
  9. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    fire red and leaf green doesn't have a clock, neither a battery save...
    if there is a battery on theese 2 games, its a fake...

but anyway, if he opens it up, i don't actually believe that decreases the value if he does it propertly... at least he can confirm it's a legit cartridge

OP, the case checks out... but only way to find its really real, its openning

10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Gah got mixed up on my pokemons. Yeah Flash save and no RTC on those ones so no batteries should be there.

Anyway opening it should not leave a mark unless you slip with the screwdriver (no ultrasonic welds or warranty stickers or anything) so do open it.

11. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    It's a GBA cart, often can't tell with these.
    As long as it fully works I wouldn't be concerned.

12. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    One time I had a bootleg Emerald cart. Dumped the ROM, and it was 32MB, unlike the 16MB it should have been. If you have the tools to do so, I recommend checking that.

13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    That means very little on the GBA -- GBA games do not have a size value in them and as such many tools (like the ones most people will use from DS flash carts) will default to 32 megs and leave you to fix the overdump with GBATA ( http://www.no-intro.org/tools.htm ) or something. Part of the problem is that the overdump will not necessarily be 00/FF (the stuff that usually trims) so you do not even have that option.

14. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    Rudolph's GBA dumping tool, from experience, doesn't usually overdump. All Pokémon ROMs that I've dumped using it seem to be 16MB.

As well, OP, if the screw on the back is NOT a tri-wing screw like regular Nintendo products have, be very wary of it being fake. Some people do repairs and use a + screw to make it easier to open, although since it's a FireRed game, there should be no reason to open it.

15. Cheekee
    OP

Cheekee Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2015
    United States
    Thanks guys, I don't actually own it yet.
    I wanted to check before I buy it, I asked the seller to upload pics of back, to figure it out more.

16. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    ask for a picture of the contacts area, you wanna see the letters on it
    but outside, looks all good

17. sweis12

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    when I dump the rom of fake pokemon games, the save seems to get deleted? Thats how I check.