CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
OK, I'm beginning to think my poor old PC is getting on a bit (brought 2007)
Mainboard : Asus P5N-E SLI
Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2666 MHz
Physical Memory : 2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Hard Disk : WDC (400 GB)
Monitor Type : ViewSonic VA1903wSERIES - 19 inches
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3
And so I'm planning to upgrade & I have a budget of ~ £1000 (give or take £100-200) and I've seen this one by Chillblast that has the latest 'Ivy' CPU for £799 (after VAT)

Now AFAIK it's generally best NOT to go for 'generic' stuff, so I was thinking of the following 'Customisations' & would like the 'tempers views on my choicesThis'll all come to a grand total of £999.37....

I will admit though I WOULD prefer to have the Chillblast AMD Radeon HD 6950 1024MB Graphics Card or Chillblast NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560Ti 1024MB Graphics Card graphic card instead,
And I'm not too sure if I'd fancy having the 24" Asus VS247H Widescreen LED Monitor as it may be a little too large to fit on my small corner desk (I have shelves that might get in the way - I could still use my exiting 19" monitor, can't see why I should chuck away a monitor that has done me proud all this time)

I'm also consider re-using the HDD as an external 'backup' dirve (I DO hate chucking stuff out that still works)

So any advice ??

Should I get a better graphic card, or/& scrap having the Monitor (Keeping my old screen) ??
Could I get away with a lower PSU for the upgraded card ?? (save a few quid)
Any changes I should do for 'future proofing' (Remember my budget though AND it's gotta be on offer by Chillblast)

Oh before I forget - I mainly use PC for the occasional Photo/Video editing, Game playing like TF2, Portal 2 & Minecraft + general browsing internet - although I have in the past 'tried' 3D animation

Thanks in advance

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think you could make your own pc for that money.
If you keep the old case and other external stuff.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
He could keep his old case, but newer cases tend to have better airflow.

Anywho, for ideas on what a balanced build should look like, here's a build taken straight from CPC magazine for £986 (inc VAT):

Case: SilverStone Raven RV03 (£112)
Mobo: MSI Z77A-GD43 (£76)
CPU: Intel Core i5-2570K (£162)
RAM: 8GB Patriot (£38)
Cooling: Arctic Freezer i30 (£30)
Graphics: Sapphire AMD Radion HD 7850 2GB (£193)
PSU: Thermaltake SP-530PCWEU (£52)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (£85)
Sound: Asus Xonar (£24)
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB (£90)
DVD: Lite-On IHAS124-19 (£14)

Now, there are some obvious areas where you can make a saving in that build if you wanted, but this is what a well rounded build should look like. Personally I'd rather get 600W minimum for the PSU, but that's just me knowing that overclocking and filling all SATA ports with drives will create a little more power tax than a basic system. Remember that the emphasis on CPU vs GPU vs budget should always fall upon what it is you intend to use your computer for. If you're an office worker, you don't need a core upgrade (mobo, CPU, RAM) but faster drives (SSD, HDD, RAM). If you're a gamer, all you need is a low/mid-end CPU and as powerful a graphics card as you can afford. If you're a graphics designer, you need to emphasise strong CPU AND GPU to get your assignments done faster and smoother (plus you'll want to get yourself a true-colour monitor, which tend to be a tad more pricey).

Also, what I've done in the past is get the new big shiny monitor, then put my old monitor right beside it for dual-display. Since my first 22+17" build, I've been unable to go back to a single monitor setup, and am currently using a 24+22" build (occasionally using the 24" vertically for manga reading, which is just awesome).

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I think you could make your own pc for that money.
If you keep the old case and other external stuff.
It's been a while since I've actually done something like that (Pre-2000 IIRC) & even then 'things went wrong' in the build & was such a hassle getting replacements, that's why I usually go for [online] shops to build it - if things go wrong THEY have to sort it out
He could keep his old case, but newer cases tend to have better airflow.
I agree with this - my current PC has a 'budget' case (one of the corners I cut back on to get a better CPU & graphic card within my budget) & in the summer (when we actually get the sun here in the UK) I do occasionally have instability issues (BSOD usually) even though there's 3 case fans & a large CPU cooler - & yes I DO clear out the grills/fans from dust buildup
Anywho, for ideas on what a balanced build should look like
Hmm - thanks for the suggestion of 'bits' - might reconsider a bit on what to have
Personally I'd rather get 600W minimum for the PSU, but that's just me knowing that overclocking and filling all SATA ports with drives will create a little more power tax than a basic system.
Not planning to overclock (although Chillblast does offer an option for that) & as said I MIGHT put my old HDD inside the case, but not planning to fill up the PC with drives - 600w is really the bare minimum I should go for ?? - I've read the better graphic cards I've been looking at require a minimum 500w supply so I was thinking 600w is the minimum to have to allow for any 'overheads' that may come about
Also, what I've done in the past is get the new big shiny monitor, then put my old monitor right beside it for dual-display.
Limited desk space remember !! if I doubt I have room for a 24" screen I doubt I have room for a dual screen setup :lol:
I would just get a new PC at that price.
Basically the one I'm looking at IS a new PC, just with a few modifications done by the company - if there's any problems in the build it's down to THEM to sort it out

Thanks for the suggestions etc.....may still be a while before I actually go ahead since I still gotta save up the money (might even be better stuff on offer later for same price !?!), but even so - that system I've been looking at seems to be 'good enough' for me I reckon

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
500W is fine, but I like some headroom just incase. A PSU is optimal at around 80% load. Getting extra protects against underflow as well as making it safe for upgrades. Especially, a good PSU with a high enough wattage can last 2 or 3 generation leaps (over 10 years or so). To this end, my 1kW PSU will stay with me at least another 8 years, providing I take care of it.

For the comment on the monitor, I can only speak for myself. It's up to you to evaluate your own workplace and see what works best for you. Like what size case to get - if you're limited on space, I doubt you'd want to get my Antec 1200 behemoth of a case.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs