OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hello fellow GBAtempers,

I would like your opinion on this: I found a PSP "phat" for 75$. The problem is that the UMD reader is not working, but the PSP is "hacked", so games can be played from the memory stick. Is this a good deal? Is it really a big problem not having the UMD reader?

I found another deal: a PSP slim for 125$.

I'm really poor, so the cheaper the better for me...

So, what's your opinion?

Oh, and another quick question: how much is a memory stick big enough to contain ISOs?

gaboumafou

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
There's no problem in not having a UMD slot? If so, I would be tempted to get the first one... The only advantage in the slim, IMO, is the ability to plug it in a TV (it would be awesome for the upcoming Kingdom Hearts). I just need to decide if it's worth 50$ more.

EDIT: Would a memory stick from Dealextreme like this one be okay?

cepheus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Both are great deals with the 75 being very good .... IF you are sure nothing else is wrong with it.

My friend used a 1gb for a year and she was pretty happy with that. The memory stick really depends on the type of gamer you are and whether or not you plan to watch movies / listen to mp3s on it (some people put their entire collection on the stick)

Trygle12

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Slim is worth it for the controls. but the lack of a UMD slot really should drop the 'Phat's value down to 50 dollars.

At least that is what you can get on ebay.

Speaking of which I just bought a Red Slim with 3 games and accessories for 125.

Maybe you should try looking around first.

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
gaboumafou said:
EDIT: Would a memory stick from Dealextreme like this one be okay?
That'll be fine for playing stored games, but should you wish to re-"hack" it then you'll need an official memory stick. Seeing as how it's already hacked though you should be fine if you don't think you'll want to re-hack it in the future for one reason or another.

gaboumafou

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I will look on eBay a little bit. But the advantage with those deals are that there's no shipping to pay since the guy lives in my city. I will see if it's possible to drop the price a little, but 75$ is still a really good deal IMO.

EDIT: Also, the guy stated that the 75$ one is hacked, but the 125$ one is probably not. It's a new model, so it might be a pain in the as* to hack it. Think I will go with the first one.

EDIT: What do you mean by "re-hack"? If I want to install a newer custom firmware, I will need an official one?!

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
gaboumafou said:
I will look on eBay a little bit. But the advantage with those deals are that there's no shipping to pay since the guy lives in my city. I will see if it's possible to drop the price a little, but 75$ is still a really good deal IMO.

EDIT: Also, the guy stated that the 75$ one is hacked, but the 125$ one is probably not. It's a new model, so it might be a pain in the as* to hack it. Think I will go with the first one.

EDIT: What do you mean by "re-hack"? If I want to install a newer custom firmware, I will need an official one?!
I'm referring to the process of switching from the custom/hacked firmware (that allows you to play any games etc.) to official firmware (that doesn't). Once this is done one you won't be able to install custom firmware again unless you have the official memory stick (one that is magic-gate compatible) and some other items*. So if you don't plan on installing official firmware then you won't have any need to get an official memory stick.

* applies to the pandora battery method of "hacking" a psp.

There's also the usual issues such as the increased likelihood of card errors/corruptions occuring with a fake card (compared with an official one but it isn't something I've experienced).

danieldaniel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In fact, all memory sticks(actually all memory cards) from dealextreme(they actually based in China not US) are fake or OEMs(you can check their memory stick product photos in detail, All SONY marks had been removed both on cards and packing, they are just the copied products), so if you have to do the re-hack process, their memory card is not your choice.

Also, the fake memory sticks may have some issues to play the games too. It may suddnely hanged during playing or saving the games. The bulid quality is also worse than the original. That is the shell of the memory stick can be eaily broken. I got one from them and I got all the above disadvantages. So please careful and good luck to get and use the fake memory sticks.

gaboumafou

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks! Might as well repair the UMD slot.
smile.gif

sconethief

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you could use the umd slot for a memory card holder. I can't find the link but there is a four memory card holder that fits in the UMD slot.

gaboumafou

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Huuu... NOW, that's weird. I called the guy, and he said the the UMD drive is not broken but... there is simply NO UMD drive. I asked him to explain, and I said that there is simply no "opening" for the UMD drive at the back. I asked him why, and he don't know, he got that PSP from another guy... but it read games from the memory card.

...wtf?!

Oh, and he's giving a 1gb "official" memory card with it for the 75$... sweet! But there was another guy interested in buying it... hope I will get it.
frown.gif

Trygle12

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Are you new to the buying scene?

Just because the seller says someone else is eying doesn't mean it's true. More often than not it is a ploy to seal the deal.

So far this deal isn't looking so hot. He already changed the description. Make sure you see the thing before agreeing to buy them, else you can get into some unwanted purchases.

All in all, just play it smart!
biggrin.gif

gaboumafou

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I didn't change the description, at first he was just saying "there's no UMD drive". I assumed he meant it was broken, but I was wrong. But what kind of PSP is that? No UMD drive?!?! He said the guy modified it, but he don't know why... but it's reading from the memory card slot without problem, and I think it's the important... I will still wait to see it before I buy (I live in the same city as the seller).

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It might be one of those ripoff PSP-lookalikes that has LCD games on it. >_> I saw there was a DS-alike, and even a PS3-alike (yeah, somehow).

Are there pictures? Demand them before you do anything.

gaboumafou

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I said I will see the guy in person before buying it, and try the PSP. Hey, I don't believe he would be stupid enough to try to sell me a LCD-screen ripoff and think I wouldn't notice...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)