Is this a good deal on a Lappy?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Jamstruth, Jan 12, 2011.

Jan 12, 2011
  1. Jamstruth
    OP

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    I'm looking at laptops for going to Uni in September. Been looking on and off because my Desktop is seriously creaky and old. Its got a 2.8GHz Pentium D to give you an idea of age... Yeah its bad.
    I'll admit this was on a whim since my friend told me he got a Macbook Pro and I decided to go off and find a similar PC for half the price and by jove I think I have...
    This is a Sony Vaio laptop so its gonna be pretty good quality.

Sony Vaio E-Series 15"
    Your configuration
    Processor: Intel® CoreTM i5-480M, 2.66GHz
    Operating system: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
    Language and keyboard: English (QWERTY)
    Finishes: White
    Hard drive: 500 GB Serial ATA (5400 rpm)
    Memory: 3 GB 1066MHz DDR3-SDRAM
    Optical Drive: DVD disc drive
    Display: 39.4 cm LCD, 1920x1080, webcam
    Graphics: ATI MobilityRadeon HD5650 1GB
    Microsoft® Office 2010: Office 2010 Starter
    Internet security: No protection
    Adobe® Creation: No Adobe® Creation
    Also Included
    AC Adapter: 1 AC Adapter
    Wireless LAN: Wireless LAN + Bluetooth®
    HDMI™ output: HDMI™ output
    Battery: Battery life up to 3 hours

Total Cost: £669 inc. VAT

500GB HDD, RAM can surely be upgraded cheaply later (they want an extra £50 for an extra 1GB of RAM so screw that), 1080p Screen (worth an exxtra £50 for a Blu-Ray drive?) and a pretty decent looking graphics card for the money (not the greatest but I mainly run Source Engine games so I'll be fine).

Just wondering what you tempers thought of it. If its a really good deal I might try to get my parents to buy it for me sooner rather than later. Been planning on staying off until Easter at least so that I can get the best I can to last me the 5 years at Uni (likely not but I've had my current crumby PC that long)

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    To me it looks pretty average. Good CPU, decent mid-range GPU, and Sony Vaio are usually overpriced so I think it'd a good deal.

You might want to consider waiting until Easter anyway. The new Sandy Bridge CPUs are a marked improvement over the older generation, and the mobile range is supposed to be released on Feb 20th. I don't know how long it takes to take the released hardware and make a laptop out of it, but you might get a better laptop from it.

Either the laptop listed or potential new laptops with newer hardware should easily last you 5 years at Uni, depending on the battery life that is. At Uni I usually needed a good 2-3 hours from my laptops, and only two could provide it (one through a spare battery that came with it).

3. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    I completely agree w/ Originality, it's worth noting that the new sandy-bridge mobile processors base frequency has increased to 2.0 ghz, (which was the base frequency of this last generations i7-920XM/940XM's unlocked processors). Performance wise they're a major boost compared to this last generation. With that said & out of the way, it's a good deal compared to what you guys in the UK normally have to go through to get a decent notebook.

4. Dr.Aqua

Member Dr.Aqua GBAtemp Regular

United States
    no way
    i5 laptops should be around the around the 350-500 euro range to be a good deal

and yah
    Sandy bridge ftw
    i7 2600k so powns
    feelz sry for the people who spent $1000 on i7 980x

5. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    That would probably be the price for one with the standard intel VGA or IGP, but not a dedicated graphics card like the 5650, or so I'm inclined to think.

6. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Firstly, Euros are still rather weak compared to Pound Sterling. The market in the UK is also somewhat different to the rest of Europe.

Secondly, for the £350-500 range (which is a fair amount more than in Euro) will never get you a Core i5 with a discreet GPU. £650-850 is the right price for a laptop with a good CPU and a good discreet GPU. £900+ is for the high-end multimedia/gaming laptops.

Thirdly, the people who bought a Core i7-980X have a lot of money to throw at their uber-powerful computers. There's no reason to feel sorry for them since they'll have had their uber-powerful computers for a while now and can still laugh at people like me with my puny Core 2 Duo E8400 (I don't care because I still run games at maxed settings). Instead, feel happy that Intel are bringing out a much more powerful CPU line for the same price as the older series.

Finally, I don't think you'll ever find a Core i7-2600K in a laptop. That's why my Wiki-link directs to the mobile range. Keep in mind, mobile CPUs are never as powerful as their desktop counterparts. On the other hand, it should still be a big improvement over the older series, especially since they're much more energy efficient. As to how they perform in laptops, we'll just wait and see.