Is this a good deal for the price?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Justin121994, Jun 12, 2011.

Jun 12, 2011
  1. Justin121994
    OP

Member Justin121994 Bitcoin. coinbase.com/andrew

United States
  2. marcus134

Member marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    let's just say that you get what you pay for.
    The psu doesn't leave a lot of room for a gpu (550 Ti or 6790 max) (psu of unknown quality)
    seagate hdd aren't as reliable as they used to be( before they bought maxtor)

Those are presonal opinion but:
    1 corsair is/was not as reliable as other brand
    2 I don't like ECS

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...80&csid=_21
    MUCH better mobo
    more powerful psu, but unknown quality, technically leaving you more headroom for upgrades

3. Berthenk

Member Berthenk Epitome of Awesomeness

Netherlands
    Can't say anything 'bout the PSU; I've never heard of Thermaltake making them. However, if you want to add a GPU, best not gamble and buy a good one.
    The CPU is pretty good, however, if I were you, I'd wait 'till Bulldozer causes price-drops.
    Generic DDR3 RAM.
    Haven't heard of ECS either, so I can't say anything about the motherboard.
    Seagate HDD... well, I don't know anything 'bout that either.

Seems like they took the cheapest brands and made them even cheaper.

4. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I've heard of ECS, but I've never seen them so I can't comment. What I do know is that it's a budget motherboard, but for that price I'd expect nothing more.

Everybody on the forums is probably tired of me repeating this, but avoid Seagate HDDs if at all possible. Every one I've ever seen/known/heard of (which add up to around 60-70 over the last 10 years) has died by now. This applies to both internal and external HDDs, desktop and laptop sizes, big and small capacities. They're just not reliable.

That aside, I think it's a half decent deal. Phenom X6-1090T and HD3000 IGP and 4GB is just about right for a small multimedia PC. Of course, for gaming, you'd want to add a graphics card and probably upgrade the PSU, and shortly after replace the entire case (it's got terrible cooling), but if you don't want to game on it then it's good.

5. Justin121994
    OP

Member Justin121994 Bitcoin. coinbase.com/andrew

United States
    Thanks for the replies guys. [​IMG] I'll keep on looking with your suggestions.