Aijelsop

Question Asker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Compaq+-+Presa...p;skuId=1756354

It's $309. Is that a good price for whats offered? I am looking for a computer to play games that's CHEAP. I have no clue what graphics card to buy, or even how to install it, and I decided I need a new computer too.

This one has 2GB Memory, my current has 512MB. Thats a nice improvement. My current hd is 160GB. This has 500GB.

If this is a bad price, where can I get a better one?

I'm looking for the tower ONLY. Preferably Windows 7, but XP is okay too. I don't want Vista. I have the mouse, keyboard and monitor. I also need at least 1 extra USB and SD slots.

Aijelsop

Question Asker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How could I create a computer, without even knowing how to install a RAM piece, even following a video guide?

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Aijelsop said:
How could I create a computer, without even knowing how to install a RAM piece, even following a video guide?
Because it's unbelievably easy. I built my own computer having no prior experience of computer hardware. Ask anyone who's made a computer, it's easy.

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nows a good time to learn how to buy your own parts and make your own pc, although my gfx card cost $300 when i bought it, so i dont think im the right person to help you at your budget

Aijelsop

Question Asker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I start? How do I know what parts to buy? Where do I get the tower? Also, I am currently stuck with $200. My b-day is in 4 days and I'm getting the 3DS and some money. Idk how much money so is that enough?

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BobTheJoeBob said:
Aijelsop said:
Because it's unbelievably easy. I built my own computer having no prior experience of computer hardware. Ask anyone who's made a computer, it's easy.
same here

you will need a case, a cpu, motherboard, ram, and os disk. i suggest xp or 7. you can get all these at a online computer store i suggest tiger direct

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
BobTheJoeBob said:
You can build your own computer, twice as good as that one, for less.
While that's stretching it by a bit, this is true. In theory, that is.
Aijelsop, if you can't even install RAM following a freaking video...

Damn, I've got no words for you....

BobTheJoeBob

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Berthenk said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
While that's stretching it by a bit, this is true. In theory, that is.
Aijelsop, if you can't even install RAM following a freaking video...

Damn, I've got no words for you....
Actually my computer costed £290 for all the parts and is twice, if not 4 times as good as that one.

Aijelsop, you'll need:

Motherboard
Processor
RAM
Power Supply
Cooler
Case
Graphics Card
OS, Windows 7 in your case.
DVD Drive

I may be missing something, but that's most of what you'll need.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
BobTheJoeBob said:
Actually my computer costed £290 for all the parts and is twice, if not 4 times as good as that one.
Mind giving us some specifications? Then we'll see if it's twice as good.
wink.gif

BobTheJoeBob

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Berthenk said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
Mind giving us some specifications? Then we'll see if it's twice as good.
wink.gif
4gb RAM
Saphhire radeon HD 5450 Graphics card
AMD Athlon II x4 Processor
320Gb HDD

I'd give you the specifics on my motherboard and everything, but I'd have to go find the papers with the list of what I bought.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that computer isnt 2x as good as the one the op posted (I have no idea what gfx card that machine uses, it just lists generic 3000 series)

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
that machine is crap
ill give you a list of parts that would be reasonable
this
and
this
that pc would be 3.2ghz cpu, 2gb of ram, and a 1gb gpu
win 7 would also need to be purchased

the parts total at $370
then you just need an os.
correct me if im wrong but those parts should be compatible and you can instal a gpu unlike that one.

and heres an os
ya

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
BobTheJoeBob said:
actually no it's not .
it depends on your budget and what you compare it to .
there are loads of sales that can save up to $150 . usually those are what you should aim for , something on sale , but isn't in clearance .

also , sites like iBuyPower also have better prices than just buying parts and assembling .

it all depends on your budget really and what your future plans are for the computer .

EDIT:
BigPaws , you described the PC horribly .
3.2GHz doesn't necessarily mean it's good . it's like comparing a 3.4GHz P4 and a 2.9GHz Pentium E6500 . although it's faster by 0.5GHz , it's a single core . now , more programs are taking use of the multicore much better .
the GPU isn't good either . just because it's 1GB means nothing . i'd say this would be better .

tijntje_7

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Aijelsop, first of all. What do you want to do with your pc?
That pc in your first post isn't 'utter crap' It's still pretty bad, and kinda outdated for today, but you can do everything mostly games not on lowest, but a bit higher Never mind, that graphics card is most likely the most utter crap you will ever see. (you might still be able to buy a newer/better gpu yourself though)
Most programs will run kinda smooth, not perfect but still smooth. It will be totally outdated really soon though. I recommend investing a bit more, or taking a look at building a pc yourself. Also have a look at local pc shops. They might have a tremendously cheap one-day offer for example
tongue.gif

What you can also do, is wait for a rydian post.
tongue.gif
(seriously, he has great advice most of the time)

But what are you planning to do with your pc? That will help us helping you ^^

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tijntje_7 said:
What you can also do, is wait for a rydian post.
tongue.gif
(seriously, he has great advice most of the time)
Well Rydian didn't even build his own PC.

As for my recommendation to the OP, I will refer you to my post in that thread:
http://gbatemp.net/t281893-closed?st=0&amp...p;#entry3498900

His budget was 200USD, so you could go with that, and when you get another 100USD drop a better GPU in there.

EDIT: Seeing as the barebones I listed in that thread is no longer available, here is a suitable case+board combo to replace it:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDet...st=Combo.613239

Even with PSU you should still be under budget.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I've avoided commenting so far (others do a good enough job for me). I want to avoid sounding like an elitist jerk.

This is another thread of his with a similar purpose. He has this computer which he has tried to upgrade but found it's not quite so easy so now he's trying to buy a new low-budget computer as an upgrade to his old one.

QUOTE said:
But what are you planning to do with your pc? That will help us helping you ^^
He wants to play games, but doesn't have the budget for a mid-ranged gaming PC. For those who haven't noticed/remembered yet, he's still a kid, so it's best to hold back from any remotely technical jargon. He really doesn't know how to build a computer (too lazy to fish out a thread link for that when he said it himself) so that's why he wants a ready-made solution that he can just buy and have delivered to him. For this reason, I suggest those giving advice to stop saying "you can get better if you just get the parts" and stick to links to complete systems.
Aijelsop said:
See, this is why I'd rather buy a new computer. The moment you say a word about like processors and AMD, to me, it's another language.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
He wants to play games, but doesn't have the budget for a mid-ranged gaming PC. For those who haven't noticed/remembered yet, he's still a kid, so it's best to hold back from any remotely technical jargon. He really doesn't know how to build a computer (too lazy to fish out a thread link for that when he said it himself) so that's why he wants a ready-made solution that he can just buy and have delivered to him. For this reason, I suggest those giving advice to stop saying "you can get better if you just get the parts" and stick to links to complete systems.
What better time to learn?

http://www.kitchentablecomputers.com/index.php

Its really not complicated if you take some time to research.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If I were you, ask around in your close family if anyone knows how to build a pc, or has a friend who knows.

you'll probably get a great pc for about 300$ with someone elses help. if they have to ask a friend, you might have to pay them a little fee, like 50$... but thats still pretty cheap

Chhotu uttam

DOH HO HO HO
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Clydefrosch said:
If I were you, ask around in your close family if anyone knows how to build a pc, or has a friend who knows.

you'll probably get a great pc for about 300$ with someone elses help. if they have to ask a friend, you might have to pay them a little fee, like 50$... but thats still pretty cheap
it is true ask everybody that they agree with it or not

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, wdym