Gaming Is this a good choice for a new desktop?

Matt93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I've been looking around for a new computer and I think I may have found one that works for me. I was looking through a PCWorld magazine and stumbled across an ad for a Cyberpower Gamer Infinity HD 4850. I couldn't find any information on the internet about this model but it's right there in PCWorld magazine.

I'll list the specs it gives me in the magazine:

Gigabyte X58 Chipset MB Supporting CrossFireX/SLI
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit Edition
Corsair 6GB DDR3-1333 Tri Channel Memory
500GB 7200RPM SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache Ultra Fast HD
ATI Radeon HD4850 1GB
Apevia X-Dreamer 3 Gaming Case / 600 Watt Crossfire Power
Intel Core i7-920 2.66Ghz

It is listed at a price of $999. It's intended use will be a gaming/family home computer. It will be used with a full 1080p resolution monitor. I guess my main focus is a good cpu-gpu combo. Will these specs be good for playing newer games on a 1080p monitor?

Thanks for the help!

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It's a decent spec computer. The weakest component I see is the gpu, it's a nice lower mid range graphics card, which is pretty cheap to buy on its own, though for that price I would expect something slightly better.

Don't get me wrong, it'll run modern games decently on high, or medium settings in some cases.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Law said:
You'd have to buy a bigger hard drive for it.

500GB is still a considerable amount of room for the OS, games and applications. Unless of course you're going to be storing a lot of downloaded material on it.
wink.gif

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I split my 500GB (main hdd) into 100GB for OS and whatever is left for general storage and game installs
all regular programs get installed on C

I still have 60GB left on the main partition

Matt93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the recommendations! I'll keep everything in mind. I've been recommended another computer that costs $100 more but I think it could be worth it. It has a better graphics card and slightly faster i7-860 processor. Click the link below to see the specs:

CyberpowerPC Gamer Xtreme 1043

Would that computer be a better choice?

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Overall I'd consider it a better spec computer then the first. The 4890 is a good card also. You may also want to consider ATI's new gpu that came out that supports directx 11, the 5000 series. The 4000 series is dx 10.1.

Matt93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the recommendation! I think this computer might be my best choice. That is a good point. But that would also cost me a lot more... I think for my needs the 4890 should be adequate. In the future when new games become more demanding i could upgrade if I need to.

Elias843

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't waste money on the 4870 graphics card, the 5770 is miles better and is an amazing value card when it comes to benchmarks and still costs less then the 4870, beating out most other offerings at that price in pure performance. And the AMD Phenom II X2 processors are not really all that good imo, if you go for the X3 for a bit more, you can get far more out of it when it comes to overclocking and stuff. Corsair Dominator RAM is expensive too, look into G.Skill memory, quality stuff 4GB of DDR3 1333 is about 30 dollars less then the Dominator memory and Newegg has several G.Skill models with high rankings for 2x2GB module kits. ASRock boards are supposedly good, I am thinking of getting one when I start getting parts for a desktop. Don't skimp out on certain things like a case with good cooling, you can get some pretty good cases for amazing prices that have lots of fan ports and such.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'd avoid getting a case with a psu, they're usually crap. Instead you should buy a case without a power supply and then buy a decent psu separately, one that is well reviewed. Don't skimp on the psu as it's a very vital component that powers your pc.

Things to look at with a psu is conversion efficiency, usually 80%+ is good. Also how much ampage it can produce, take important note of the 12v rail. The actual wattage isn't much to go on.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Acetic Orcein

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd like to also hijack this thread for my own benefit
(if that's alright).

I'm currently using this website to search for parts (since the shop is quite close to me)
www.microdirect.co.uk

Anyway, the idea is that father dearest will buy all the parts I select and wrap them up as xmas pressies lol.

So would you say Elias's components are good? I may just copy that list. I'm looking for a 'good' gaming PC. One that will play most modern games very well- but I'm not looking to max Crysis or anything like that. So yes, do you reckon I could stick with that list?

Budget is probably about £400. I'm probably looking for a bigger hardrive though... any suggestions on that?

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, that final selection is futureproof to some extent and could be run with a power supply of about 500 watts. AMD processors are a power whore though at 125 watts, but thankfully all you have left to worry about for major power consumption is the graphics, and the ATi 5000 series cards are somewhat future proof for Direct X 11 and no doubt what Nvidia puts out will cost more and will probably still have similar bench mark scores for the cards in the same price range as what ATi has plus probably a few higher end cards just like the GTX 295, ATi doesn't really offer that super top of the line card like Nvidia does.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: Good morning everyone